Eating meat extends human life expectancy

aliml

we examined the metabolic networks of a Chinese centenarian cohort and identified the elevated fatty acid oxidation (FAO) as the most significant metabolic feature in these long-lived individuals. Evidence from serum metabolomics supports this observation. Given that FAO declines with normal aging and is impaired in many age-related diseases, our study suggests that the elevated FAO has potential to be a novel signature of healthy aging of humans!

Eberhardt

This sounds like a classical confounding of is and should. All extremely old people would be physically in a stressed/metabolically challenged state. The question is what where their levels of FFA at say 80? And what is the average FFA levels in peoples last years before death

dreamcatcher

I noticed this when I lived in India. It is quite remarkable how much this occurs. It happens around 20-30 years of age. It is seriously like overnight. It always boggled my mind.
I think this is due to their high pufa intake and popularity of nuts/seeds. Even when I was in an Ayurvedic hospital in Mumbai in 2006, they used high pufa oils for massage for 6 weeks..

ironfist

Some questions I have after reading this thread:

1) does fish count, possibly we are just talking about red meat, or chicken?

2) what is the best way to use glycine?

3) regarding people who are naturally skinny... how are they supposed to do calorie restriction? Some fellows need 3000 or higher calories per day to maintain weight.

Screenshot_20220416-014831_WhatsApp.jpg

yoshiesque

It is always interesting to see this then also note that there are many people who lived to their 90s with little meat consumption. What about the japanese that eat a diet of sweet potatos?

-Luke-

It is always interesting to see this then also note that there are many people who lived to their 90s with little meat consumption. What about the japanese that eat a diet of sweet potatos?
I wonder if the benefits have more to do with the foods meat eaters do not eat. Many vegetarians or vegans swap meat for soy products, highly processed "convenience" "food" or inadequately prepared legumes.

It would be interesting to see a study where they compare different non-westernized people eating their traditional diet regarding meat intake.

yoshiesque

I wonder if the benefits have more to do with the foods meat eaters do not eat. Many vegetarians or vegans swap meat for soy products, highly processed "convenience" "food" or inadequately prepared legumes.

It would be interesting to see a study where they compare different non-westernized people eating their traditional diet regarding meat intake.
Few things i remember from Peats talks:

Protein is critical for brain function, liver function and maintaining muscle mass.
- Brain - he recalled a german holocaust survivor who had immediately improved concentration (from barely being able to think after eating cheap soups in those camps) after eating a hamburger lol
- Muscle Mass - This also includes heart muscle. The more your body uses muscle for protein (to supply brain/liver) the more it will start stripping heart muscle over time.

The japanese potato diet I suspect provided enough protein via amino acids (which potatos have) and also aided in having a very low phosphate diet.
Vegetarians/vegans (if they avoid excess grains) might also be doing good by lowering phosphate. Id say more so vegetarians, who would I am guessing increase their calcium intake naturally via dairy foods.

ironfist

Let's be clear, you are talking sweet potatoes. Just eating potatoes sounds horrible, personally when I eat too many nightshades (potatoes) I get hypercalcemia, a very painful condition. Sweet potatoes are not nightshades. I have blood tests over the years testing this. Before and after. That happens when I eat nightshades while taking vitamin d I am very thin. Thin people need less vitamin d. These recommendations of 10,000iu per day for long periods of time are silly.

I've had high serum and ionized calcium from vitamin d and nightshades. It goes for months. It's no fun.

LA

my husband has been to Tokyo five times. He says the country people may eat sweet potato although the city people eat differently AND there are stories of Japanese who lived long who drank milk. Japanese nibble on snacks wrapped in seaweed and those who can afford it also eat Kobi beef. Many/most eat raw fish and most of them eat many things

Athrunzala

Eating meat extends human life expectancy might not be applicable in 2023 and beyond because MRNA is now being injected in our livestock animals

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals