Eating LOW FAT Leads To Serious Gall Bladder Problems!

amethyst

I've done a lot of research on this, and the evidence seems to be repeatedly clear: eating low fat or very low fat consistently, leads to serious gall bladder problems. Back in my modeling days, I used to starve myself to get down to a certain size. Yeah, I know, not smart or healthy. I was also eating very low fat at that time. I developed serious digestive problems as a result. I would always have pains in my gall bladder region. Anyone who has ever had that knows the pain. Not good. Now I eat more fat. Mind you, I didn't say a LOT of fat, but enough to help with the digestion. But I digress. Enough about my own story.

When you don't eat fat with a meal, your gallbladder does not contract. You gallbladder is what produces bile which like a detergent that helps you digest your fat and food. The gallbladder does not get a workout ( ie: contract) when you don't eat fat. Rather, the bile and sludge just sits there building up, resulting in gallstones of various types that cause pain, infection and can lead to very serious problems. It can even lead to death if your gallbladder bursts. Here's an article explaining why you need fat in order to not develop gallbladder problems.

Gallstones and Low Carb - Diet Doctor

How To get Gallstones

If you eat low fat less bile is needed to digest your food. More bile thus stays in the gallbladder. Long enough, perhaps, for stones to form. It’s been shown that people who (instead of fat) eat more carbohydrates are at increased risk of gallstones.

This is not the only article where I found this evidence. Much of the correct information comes from gastroenterologists who are knowlegable about how the gall bladder works. You can google the web for more info. on this. So basically, if you want to have digestive problems which can lead to having one's gallbladder removed or various problems with your pancreas, your bile ducts, sphinter of oddi issues, etc. etc. DON'T EAT FAT.

However, if you eat some good fat with each meal, you can keep your gallbladder running smoothly instead of getting sickly and stagnant. Your gallbladder and digestion NEEDS to contract to keep it working properly and that happens with *some* fat added to your meals. Maybe some people can eat more *good* fat than others if it's not too high calorie. Regardless, fat is important in one's diet. Seems to be a running theme on this forum :to eat fat or no fat? I say fat is where it's at. In moderation. But not too low either. Hope this helps add to one's digestive knowledge.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

I agree with the conclusion good fats in moderation over a long course of life. What is "moderation"? That needs to be worked out for the individual.

OP
A

amethyst

I agree with the conclusion good fats in moderation over a long course of life. What is "moderation"? That needs to be worked out for the individual.
Good point Lisa. Seems some people can eat a lot of *good* fat, ie: saturated fat, like Natedawg did amongst others. For me, that's not something I do. Again, that's me. But as you wrote, people have to work that out for themselves. Anyhoo, the bottom line is, all the research I've done points to no and low fat as a very big contributor to gall bladder and digestive problems. Our bodies just need fat. In my humble opinion.

john3333

This is not true. There are many fruitarians and juicearians who have eaten a lowfat or nofat diet and they did not suffer any gallbladder issues.

In my experience even one "cheat" day a month with more fat can clear lots of bile. Also I think there are foods and supplements that stimulate bile flow without fat.

OP
A

amethyst

In my experience even one "cheat" day a month with more fat can clear lots of bile. Also I think there are foods and supplements that stimulate bile flow without fat.
So what are those other foods and supplements you speak of? Can you list them? I'd appreciate knowing. My research hasn't come across any alternatives. So far from what I've read, it just says that fat is what stimulates the gallbladder to contract.

So what are those other foods and supplements you speak of? Can you list them? I'd appreciate knowing. My research hasn't come across any alternatives. So far from what I've read, it just says that fat is what stimulates the gallbladder to contract.

UDCA, dunno... red pepper?

OP
A

amethyst

This is not true. There are many fruitarians and juicearians who have eaten a lowfat or nofat diet and they did not suffer any gallbladder issues.
If you want to disagree with the research, that's your business. I was just quoting what all the research has said. And a lot of fruititarians go on to develop health problems down the road. So they may not be having problems now, but develop them later on. I remember reading that some celeb went on a fruititarian diet- Ashton Kutcher. He was playing Steve Jobs in a movie, and he reportedly had to go to the hospital because he developed serious pancreatic issues from just ingesting fruit and nothing else.

T

tca300

The gallbladder does not produce bile, the liver does. The gallbladder stores the bile. Bile is helpful for fat digestion, but thats not its sole function, for example, it ( bile ) is the vehicle the body uses to rid itself of bilirubin, which is produced irregardless of fat intake. Gallbladder trouble typically stems from hypothyroidism and estrogen. People who consume too much fat complain much more often about gallbladder trouble than lowfat people. Google " atkins gallbladder " the results are overwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:

john3333

If you want to disagree with the research, that's your business. I was just quoting what all the research has said. And a lot of fruititarians go on to develop health problems down the road. So they may not be having problems now, but develop them later on. I remember reading that some celeb went on a fruititarian diet- Ashton Kutcher. He was playing Steve Jobs in a movie, and he reportedly had to go to the hospital because he developed serious pancreatic issues from just ingesting fruit and nothing else.
There is an entire community of fruitarians and juicearians in 30bananasaday.com and there are hardly any threads talking about health problems caused by their low PUFA diet. In fact, it is common to see people talk about how their health has recovered after going on a fruitarian low PUFA diet.
Ashton Kutcher is only one person who has experienced a negative side effect of the fruitarian while millions of other people have not. For all we know he may have been genetically presdisposed to whatever he may have gone through. We can not blame a fruit diet for that. Time and time again, research has shown that high fruit diets lead to extraordinary longevity, lower cancer rates, and excellent thyroid health.

OP
A

amethyst

There is an entire community of fruitarians and juicearians in 30bananasaday.com and there are hardly any threads talking about health problems caused by their low PUFA diet. In fact, it is common to see people talk about how their health has recovered after going on a fruitarian low PUFA diet.
I don't know about Ashton Kutcher, but that is just one person who has experienced a negative side effect of the fruitarian while millions of other people have not. For all we know he may have been genetically presdisposed to whatever he may have gone through. We can not blame a fruit diet for that. Research has shown that high fruit diets lead to extraordinary longevity, lower cancer rates, and excellent thyroid health.
Are you talking about "just fruit" or a "high" fruit" diet? I think fruits are good for you. The fiber, the nutrients etc.

OP
A

amethyst

Ashton Kutcher is only one person who has experienced a negative side effect of the fruitarian while millions of other people have not. For all we know he may have been genetically presdisposed to whatever he may have gone through. We can not blame a fruit diet for that. Time and time again, research has shown that high fruit diets lead to extraordinary longevity, lower cancer rates, and excellent thyroid health.
Ashton Kutcher, following what Steve Jobs did, went on a "just fruit" diet. That's what caused his problems apparently.

OP
A

amethyst

The gallbladder does not produce bile, the liver does. The gallbladder stores the bile. Bile is helpful for fat digestion, but thats not its sole function, for example, it ( bile ) is the vehicle the body uses to rid itself of bilirubin, which is produced irregardless of fat intake.
I'm glad you clarified that. Thanks. Yes, the gallbladder "stores" the bile. But you need fat in order to "contract" the gallbladder. And ridding the body of bilirubin is good because? Can you explain?

OP
A

amethyst

The gallbladder does not produce bile, the liver does. The gallbladder stores the bile. Bile is helpful for fat digestion, but thats not its sole function, for example, it ( bile ) is the vehicle the body uses to rid itself of bilirubin, which is produced irregardless of fat intake. Gallbladder trouble typically stems from hypothyroidism and estrogen. People who consume too much fat complain much more often about gallbladder trouble than lowfat people. Google " atkins gallbladder " the results are overwhelming.
I agree. Too much fat AND not enough fat are both bad for your gallbladders and digestion. There has to be a happy medium. Edit: And the "type" of fat as well. But most Peaters already know that.

T

tca300

High bilirubin is typically a marker of jaundice. Too much isnt good. Also bile is over 95% water. Gallstones and gallbladder issues are probably a combination of hypothyroidism, eating too much fat, and not pooping enough. Most lower their dietary fat to improve gallbladder health, not increase it. Many groups of people in the past ate a very low fat diet, and I havent heard of troubles like this before.

OP
A

amethyst

Just curious, how much fat do you eat on a regular basis? Are you eating fat and then adding more fat one day a month? Anecdotally, it would be good to know for the discussion.

Just curious, how much fat do you eat on a regular basis? Are you eating fat and then adding more fat one day a month? Anecdotally, it would be good to know for the discussion.

For that to happen I mean 20 and under grams per day.

OP
A

amethyst

High bilirubin is typically a marker of jaundice. Too much isnt good. Also bile is over 95% water. Gallstones and gallbladder issues are probably a combination of hypothyroidism, eating too much fat, and not pooping enough. Most lower their dietary fat to improve gallbladder health, not increase it.
Yeah, but what leads to people having gallbladder problems in the first place is not eating any fat. Or very little of it. And most people are doing that to lose weight. But they go about it the wrong way. I know when I was starving my self on no /little fat I did get more clogged up so this might be the issue as to why fat is important. The fat is important for pooping :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals