Eating Liver

messtafarian

Y'all I just can't. I know I need it because I'm sure I need the Vitamin A and I'm also somewhat sure I don't have any in me at the moment.But I can't eat it; I wouldn't even know where to *find* beef liver in this town. I've checked a couple meat counters and only run across chicken livers occasionally. I don't even know what I would do with a liver if I had it in my house. Maybe bury it.

Sometimes I'll see a pate' that's adulterated somehow. Bought some braunschweiger and gave it to the dog because it was pork liver and I've had quite enough iron already.

What do you think of glandular liver supplements like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Glandulars- ... ular+liver

jyb

I think the amount is only a thin slice once a week, at most. For that reason, I don't consider taste an issue.

OP
M

messtafarian

I think I'm buying the glandular then. I hate to take more pills but I'll probably never eat any liver no matter how seriously I intend to.

HDD

I have had a really hard time getting liver down. I recently bought chicken livers, rolled them in masa harina and fried in coconut oil. I made a dipping sauce using sour cream, horseradish, ketchup, and garlic (IIRC). I did not have any problems eating them prepared this way. My son willingly ate them also.

I know the chicken livers are not ideal but it's better than not eating liver at all.

jyb

The question is, are nutrients in the freeze dried still there and can be absorbed? Retinol, copper, zinc,... Note that if you only care about copper & zinc, oysters are as good or better. Retinol can be supplemented.

If it is the case that the dried version is absorbed, then I could see an advantage in it over the fresh product: you could more conveniently spread the dose daily than with fresh meat, as a small daily dose rather than a large occasional serving is better for us hypothyroid people.

OP
M

messtafarian

I started thinking about it when I was reading the Gerson protocol. They said he used to feed people liver but the supply got so weird in the US that he just started giving them dessicated glandular.

sladerunner69

messtafarian said:
I started thinking about it when I was reading the Gerson protocol. They said he used to feed people liver but the supply got so weird in the US that he just started giving them dessicated glandular.

Messtafarian could you elaborate on the suppply getting weird? I've been using factory farmed beef liver....obviously not as good as grassfed/organic but I figured it was still worth the nutrients. Plus peat says the diet of ruminants(cattle, goats, etc) wasn't so much of a concern as they're extensive digestion converts most PUFA to SF and removes most toxins.

BingDing

Jenn said:
I would not recommend eating liver just because you think you are "supposed" to eat it. It has pluses and minuses, just like any other food.

Thank you, Jenn, you are often spot on about this stuff. I'm with messtafarian, I just can't stand liver. I can swallow it unchewed so I don't have to taste it but we both know that is a losing proposition. Squid is a good source of copper with low iron and I don't mind that at all, and oysters are OK. I think I can thrive without liver.

HDD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,084

HDD

On a more serious note, if you do want to eat liver for the nutrients, I have found "Chopped Liver" to be quite tasty and I am liver hater from way back. I ate it on crackers with cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner yesterday. I will freeze the rest so I don't overdo it. :mrgreen:

gabys225

I am fortunate enough to have an organic supermarket nearby that stocks liver from various different animals. I hate cow's liver but buffalo liver (http://wildideabuffalo.com/) goes down raw and tastes smokey. The between duck, cow, bison, goat, or sheep liver is quite stark, at least in my experience (always raw). I wondered about the freezing but try not to be too anal about it. I have tried numerous retinol supplements and even liver tabs and have not had the temp/mood difference that I feel with eating actual liver.

It may be a matter of continuing to experiment, and if you do fine with other vit-a rich sources then don't sweat it.

NooMoahk

gabys225 said:
I am fortunate enough to have an organic supermarket nearby that stocks liver from various different animals. I hate cow's liver but buffalo liver (http://wildideabuffalo.com/) goes down raw and tastes smokey. The between duck, cow, bison, goat, or sheep liver is quite stark, at least in my experience (always raw). I wondered about the freezing but try not to be too anal about it. I have tried numerous retinol supplements and even liver tabs and have not had the temp/mood difference that I feel with eating actual liver.

It may be a matter of continuing to experiment, and if you do fine with other vit-a rich sources then don't sweat it.

That is the secret for me. Raw beef liver tastes sweet and delicious to me, though cooked tastes terrible and not unlike metal.

aquaman

messtafarian said:
I think I'm buying the glandular then. I hate to take more pills but I'll probably never eat any liver no matter how seriously I intend to.

I eat ..

organic grass-fed lamb's liver (order from internet, store individual slices in freezer, they last 3 months)

cooked well (fried gently until cooked all the way through, no blood), eaten with lots of garlic, mashed potato and mustard .. i can now eat liver :)

Tcrazyjam

yeah, man. mustard helps a lot. forget the pufa content, its not too much, i think.
i have a question: can i eat liver twice a week ( 2 x 150 grams)?
i am new on peat and think that i need more vitamin a :?:

HDD

Chopped liver wasn't so great second time around. I think I burned the onions the first time so maybe that disguised the taste more. Anyways, the mustard tip helped get it down. Unfortunately, I cooked a pound of livers and have 2 more frozen containers of chopped liver to eat. :(

jb4566

If you soak the liver in milk and some vinegar and cook it with some onions it tastes much better. Almost like a different food.

jb4566

sladerunner69 said:
messtafarian said:

Messtafarian could you elaborate on the suppply getting weird? I've been using factory farmed beef liver....obviously not as good as grassfed/organic but I figured it was still worth the nutrients. Plus peat says the diet of ruminants(cattle, goats, etc) wasn't so much of a concern as they're extensive digestion converts most PUFA to SF and removes most toxins.

Some people have speculated that almost all commercial cows have a mild form of fatty liver from their grain and bean based diet. I don't think it is something to worry about though.

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Chopped liver wasn't so great second time around. I think I burned the onions the first time so maybe that disguised the taste more. Anyways, the mustard tip helped get it down. Unfortunately, I cooked a pound of livers and have 2 more frozen containers of chopped liver to eat. :(
Oh I'm so glad you updated as I was tempted to try your recipe. Glad I waited. :lol:
Animals like liver. :P