Eating Like Travis. Results Are Great!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

Cirion

Some people just have great genetics and could even make bricks fried in pufa work.

I see it when I am on testosterone, I can eat things that would send me right into a coma without gear.

Not arguing that at all. But did you watch the video yet? I haven't so I can't fairly critique it. Supposedly he goes into detail as to how it works. Maybe he already addresses my deficiency concerns.

I dunno, deep down intuitively I feel like this type of diet probably is ideal. Just trying to reconcile why it doesn't work for some then. I guess maybe some people screwed something up and got deficient in something. Also maybe our "hunger" for meat is artificial - it could just be that it's a hunger for minerals and B12 etc which can be solved by other foods?

Cirion

Another thought I've had too -- this may be woo-woo tin foil hat territory but I've heard it suggested that negative bacteria and parasites in the body can actually create cravings in the brain and literally mess with your thoughts to make you desire certain foods because they are food for the bacteria and parasites - they want you to eat them so they can prosper. Gross to think your brain might be hijacked by parasites.

It is well known I think by now that high protein can indeed exasperate bacteria problems and this is why many experience benefit from fasting. Nathan hatch recommends protein fasting too. I really think there maybe something to limiting protein and also cleaning out the gut??

I wonder if we can take it a step further, and say limit all protein EXCEPT gelatin. I can't think any reason why gelatin would be bad. Would be interesting to experiment with say a 50-75g protein intake but virtually all of it from gelatin.

Even RP acknowledges that muscle meats can actually cause muscle wasting, let alone muscle growth.

walterex

After reading through the majority of Travis posts. I thought to give it a try.
Now I use to weight 180 on low carb, balloned up to 210(Peat/hagendazz healing), down to 198. Now down to 190 @Travis .

My Diet:
Smoothies

-I take large handfuls of organic greens and water and blend very thoroughly. Let the fiber float and spoon off as much as I can. About 90%-CAL/MG
+Two handfuls frozen mango
+Handful of mixed berries
+Salt
+Fill with orange Juice
+2 TBS of CO.
+Simple sugar to taste
uncooked greens, salads!!!!, If you have listened to Ray you must know about the 2 rat families

Andman

I wonder if we can take it a step further, and say limit all protein EXCEPT gelatin. I can't think any reason why gelatin would be bad. Would be interesting to experiment with say a 50-75g protein intake but virtually all of it from gelatin.

from powder? heavy metals for example

Cirion

from powder? heavy metals for example

I am already eating 72 gram of gelatin each day with seemingly no issues and jello consistently boosts my metabolism while muscle meats / tryptophan containing proteins consistently lower my metabolism. I often have 50% of my protein from gelatin

sladerunner69

Good points, and its all possible. I think all of these concerns were brought to his attention, which he defended in the thread baring his name.

FWIW, his diet inherently has beneficial calcium:phosphorus and glycine:methionine ratios (as greens/fruit would)

Yes if he doesn't eat any muscle meat or legumes or grains than he is not consuming any phosphorus of note. However, I am unsure about methionine- I'm admittedly unknowledgeable there. He is undoubtedly well researched and has considered his foods carefully, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, his diet doesn't seem to provide even 20 grams of daily protein, and that's a generous assumption. I have heard Dr. Peat recommending a minimum of 80 grams of animal protein to elderly females with thyroid issues. He explained that the liver needs an abundance of protein to effectively activate thyroid hormone, and to fully convert t4 to t3. If the thyroid is low the stress hormones will increase to compensate. I think drinking lots of coffee will help compensate as well. This makes me wonder what Travis's thyroid function is like, maybe someone should convince him to get bloods.

Cirion

Slade there was a video posted earlier in this thread that seems very informative on how low protein can work. I haven't watched it yet since its long. I briefly loaded it up for 2 minutes though and he was talking about how the body can recycle protein and that's why your actual needs are low. But I am sure there are nuances to it - for example, enough carbohydrates to spare protein. I am not sold yet personally, but I am definitely interested to learn more.

Perhaps the liver can get its protein needs simply through recycling? I thought the 80 gram quote was from RP saying he felt off if he had less than 80g?

FWIW didn't tyw also eat something really low like 25 gram of protein a day?

Kelj

The body of each person tells us what it wants and needs (same thing). People functioning on the catabolic metabolism can be high energy since it is cortisol and adrenaline that is at work in that metabolism. Or, a person can be energetic because they are in the normal, non-emergency metabolism of carb burning. Their muscles can burn "almost pure glucose" as Ray says, and their diet is providing plenty of what their muscles want while working. Carbohydrate in the diet and plenty of calories increases the rate at which the body uses calories (metabolism). This feeling that you are not full is because you burn calories faster the more you provide carbohydrate. There is nothing wrong with this. Ray calls burning calories at a crazy rate "The wasteful metabolism" and says it is good for us and we are least likely to die if we are doing it. The idea is, to eat as many carbs as your body (through craving and desire) is asking for. The same goes with protein and fats. It's true, if we do this no macro will ever be zero. Trusting that our body knows how to be healthy is the only way to ever insure that we have no deficiencies. Anything else is guesswork and leads to disaster.

milkboi

Where can you find this?

In Germany there are 2 brands that I buy: one from “Rapunzel” and one from “Alnatura”, both organic.

I just googled it and it seems like it is a classical oriental food, so shouldnt be impossible to get where-ever you live.

It also acts like an antibiotic!

Cirion

I watched this recently. The speaker seems a bit crazy but makes some interesting cases. He claims it is basically impossible to not get enough protein in ones diet. He claims to eat very low protein, and still manages to have a lot of muscular strength, he definitely looks pretty healthy for someone his age...

I am watching this now. Very interesting. He may be on to something.

I am cross referencing what he has to say VS. what people are saying in the Vitamin A thread VS. my own experiences VS. many other experiences from past coaches, my past diets, and so on... to the point, I am thinking this guy may be correct. I may have to try a diet that inspired by this...

It isn't the first time I've heard about veganism but he has addressed a lot of my concerns with plant based diets. I am still not sold, but I may be willing to experiment with it. And a lot of it is not even anti peat. He does say dairy is bad, but part of that is because apparently he says a lot of dairy is sold from pregnant cows which inundates you with estrogens. He doesn't seem to speak to gelatin at all. What do vegans think about gelatin?

I don't like vegetables though so I would probably just eat rice and fruit and maybe beans. Rice and fruit was the diet of the group that lost like 150 lbs in one year. I found it interesting he said they were concerned of losing weight too fast so they added one pound of sugar a day and still lost weight. Fascinating. Rice + fruit + sugar is actually not all that anti-peat, except he is not a fan of fat except the small amounts in some foods like avocado.

his simple workout is very accessible for anyone too and he says that it stimulates the lymphatic system to remove toxins. That seems pretty important too. although he does his workout on the beach which I can only dream of doing...

anyway... this diet also pretty much seems in line with Dr. Morse, Ehret... and others... all of which are floating around these forums lately... I think maybe we are starting to come to the truth of the correct diet... even Peat has said that muscle meats are anti-thyroid and cause muscle wasting and that protein needs are not that high if the quality is high... though even peat eats more than this guy says you need to.

Last edited:

tara

1 lb of Kale?!! What is wrong with the vegetarian community?! I couldn't even eat a few leaves of kale in a smoothie let alone a lb of it raw. Not to mention we can't break down cellulose like ruminants. So you are essentially giving that nutrition to your gut biome. I mean maybe it works out okay if you have a diverse healthy gut, but most people don't and I think it's dangerous advice.
I don't know that it would be good advice in general - some people would suffer from it if they forced themselves against their better judgement. I'd struggle with it too at this point.
But if someone is in the habit of eating that way, and feels reliably healthy, I'm not sure I see the problem - they may be the people who are benefiting?
3000 calories is only enough to operate the base metabolism of an over 25 year old man lying down without batting an eyelash.
You can see quite a few posts of mine suggesting that people revise upwards the calorie needs for maintaining a healthy metabolism. But in this case, I think there might be an exaggeration. Quite possibly there are many mature men who can maintain their daily lives including normal movement with reasonable metabolisms in the vicinity of 3000 cals, as long as they are not engaging in extreme exercise etc.

I am watching this now. Very interesting. He may be on to something.

I am cross referencing what he has to say VS. what people are saying in the Vitamin A thread VS. my own experiences VS. many other experiences from past coaches, my past diets, and so on... to the point, I am thinking this guy may be correct. I may have to try a diet that inspired by this...

It isn't the first time I've heard about veganism but he has addressed a lot of my concerns with plant based diets. I am still not sold, but I may be willing to experiment with it. And a lot of it is not even anti peat. He does say dairy is bad, but part of that is because apparently he says a lot of dairy is sold from pregnant cows which inundates you with estrogens. He doesn't seem to speak to gelatin at all. What do vegans think about gelatin?

I don't like vegetables though so I would probably just eat rice and fruit and maybe beans. Rice and fruit was the diet of the group that lost like 150 lbs in one year. I found it interesting he said they were concerned of losing weight too fast so they added one pound of sugar a day and still lost weight. Fascinating. Rice + fruit + sugar is actually not all that anti-peat, except he is not a fan of fat except the small amounts in some foods like avocado.

his simple workout is very accessible for anyone too and he says that it stimulates the lymphatic system to remove toxins. That seems pretty important too. although he does his workout on the beach which I can only dream of doing...

anyway... this diet also pretty much seems in line with Dr. Morse, Ehret... and others... all of which are floating around these forums lately... I think maybe we are starting to come to the truth of the correct diet... even Peat has said that muscle meats are anti-thyroid and cause muscle wasting and that protein needs are not that high if the quality is high... though even peat eats more than this guy says you need to.

It is thought provoking. I abandon the whole vegan side of what these people have to say, been there done that (7 years), and 3 years vegetarian before that. I think being able to eat anything from time to time is important for health and to not be a social pain in the ****! I think a diet with some meat and eggs and low dairy offers all the benefits of a vegan or vegetarian diet without any of the risks, the key is to really embrace carbs and plant proteins as the main calorie source.

Cirion

So that's what still bothers me. Some people seem to not tolerate that style of eating. Why do you think this is? How do you think you did it wrong?

Maybe the better approach is to drastically lower protein intake but not go quite as low as 20g a day? I think 50-75g would still be like half or less than what most of us get a day. It would be for me.

He does warn against too low calorie. Calorie deficits will cause muscle wasting on low protein, but maintenance/surplus would not, theoretically, since carbs are muscle sparing. He doesn't say go zero fat, just no added oils.

Inaut

It is thought provoking. I abandon the whole vegan side of what these people have to say, been there done that (7 years), and 3 years vegetarian before that. I think being able to eat anything from time to time is important for health and to not be a social pain in the ****! I think a diet with some meat and eggs and low dairy offers all the benefits of a vegan or vegetarian diet without any of the risks, the key is to really embrace carbs and plant proteins as the main calorie source.

I'm with you on this. I eat two egg yolks, fruit, milk (with gelatin), OJ/apple juice and tubers during the day (snacking) and potatoes/sweet potatoes/vermicelli (with coconut oil or butter and a small piece of cheese) with some beef/lamb and a carrot for dinner. Probably getting around 40g of protein from meat and 40g from from the gelatin. I'd say it's pretty balanced for me.

Ritchie

Most people go into a vegan diet carrying a whole lot of other dietary ideals. They may have a view that sugar is bad, or too many carbs are bad, or they eat a very high PUFA laden diet with vegetable oils etc. So when people say they tried vegan etc for years, it didn't work and so forth, what they really mean is that they tried a particular version of an animal product free diet. It may have been over restrictive in sugars etc or it may have been very PUFA heavy. Point is there are so many versions of a vegan diet, just like there is of a meat and/or dairy based diet. I find the key is to eat a high energy diet (high sugar, high carb/starch, high fruit/juice) with leafy greens like kale, other vegetables like carrots and mushrooms, legumes like lentils or other beans, chocolate and coffee, coconut oil. It adheres to all of Peat's principles: High energy, low PUFA, low iron, low methionine/tryptophan, low potassium, good amounts of calcium/magnesium from the leafy greens etc. It also is in line with all the other vast amounts of research out there on plant based diets and the seen benefits.
This is the way I am eating at the moment and I have never felt better, the high dairy high meat/organ meat style of eating just never worked for me and my health actually deteriorated in the first few years after discovering Peat. I always thought it strange that Peat (and much other research) emphasises the detrimental effects of iron, methionine and tryptophan yet encouraged organ meat and read meat consumption. There are much safer ways of getting b vitamins and way better amino acid profile sources of protein that are plant based. I also always found it strange that Peat emphasises the massive issues with estrogen and yet encouraged such high consumption of milk which has been vastly and extensively shown to be full of mammalian estrogen, particularly if its milked from pregnant cows which is often the case. The opioids in milk and cheese are also of concern among other things (of course dairy is also high in tryptophan and methionine). I had cut the animal products before starting to read Travis on this forum, however reading Travis speak about all this in such an informed and well considered manner was such a breath of fresh air to the Peat perspective and this forum in general in my opinion.
As soon as I cut the dairy and meat and started eating this way things really started improving for me in all areas. From my wellbeing, to my energy, to my sleep, to my mindstate, to my strength and fitness levels in sport and training, to my bodyweight and muscle density, to my skin, to my mental clarity and calmness. It's been about 2 years now and I feel great.

Last edited:

Cirion

Excellent @Ritchie thanks for chiming in. Dr. Morse and Dr. Ehret also speak against excess protein intake. It is not a new concept, people since the 1800's or even earlier (according to the video, the Spartans avoided muscle meats) have done so. I agree, it doesn't have to go against Peat for the most part. I am gonna try it, because so far what I have been doing is making me fat and not happy. He showed pictures of estrogen dominant "beer belly" men eating high protein and sadly that's kinda how I look now, so clearly high protein isn't working for me.

The one thing I don't like are leafy greens and they always seem to make me feel off when I eat them. DO you eat cooked or raw? Do you think leafy/cruciferous veggies are necessary to create a successful "vegan" diet?

Last edited:

Ritchie

Excellent @Ritchie thanks for chiming in. Dr. Morse and Dr. Ehret also speak against excess protein intake. It is not a new concept, people since the 1800's or even earlier (according to the video, the Spartans avoided muscle meats) have done so. I agree, it doesn't have to go against Peat for the most part. I am gonna try it, because so far what I have been doing is making me fat and not happy. He showed pictures of estrogen dominant "beer belly" men eating high protein and sadly that's kinda how I look now, so clearly high protein isn't working for me.

The one thing I don't like are leafy greens and they always seem to make me feel off when I eat them. DO you eat cooked or raw? Do you think leafy/cruciferous veggies are necessary to create a successful "vegan" diet?
Yeah i definitely agree that too much protein is not a good thing.
I eat leafy greens cooked, I throw them into potatoes when I am cooking them for example and they just wilt down and blend in nicely. But yeah I mainly eat them cooked. Peat also recommends cooking them, Travis was eating them raw I think, particularly arugula. I have nothing against eating them raw but I prefer cooked.
I do think leafy greens are important for all the minerals and vitamins that are in them. I have also cut out pretty much all supplements now, I used to feel I needed to supplement in the first few years of following a Peat inspired diet but now I just feel good without them. I have some kelp supplement or sushi rolls every now and then for the iodine. Travis went into some detail about how the leafy greens like kale increase the bodies need for iodine somewhat. I also have oysters or muscles once in a while for the b12 and iodine although I don't think that is absolutely necessary as you could just take a b12 sup. B12, as far as i'm aware, is stored in the body quite well so it would take a long time to become deficient so I think you only need to supplement once in a while. Everytime i've had bloods done my b12 is through the roof.

Last edited:

tara

Maybe the better approach is to drastically lower protein intake but not go quite as low as 20g a day? I think 50-75g would still be like half or less than what most of us get a day. It would be for me.
FWIW, looks like 75 gm protein/day would be close to average for the world, slightly above average for the 'developing world', a bit more below average for the 'developed' world, and a bit more than some authorities consider to be necessary.
It's not really low, but it's lower than Peat recommends for maintaining a healthy metabolism, once we've got one.

Back
Top Bottom