Eating Like Travis. Results Are Great!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Why not throw in some collagen hydrolysate? No taste and a couple tablespoons would dramatically increase your protein intake. Good protein too, will help increase fat loss and retention of lean tissue.

I do gelatin/and collagen + eggs

InChristAlone

1 lb of Kale?!! What is wrong with the vegetarian community?! I couldn't even eat a few leaves of kale in a smoothie let alone a lb of it raw. Not to mention we can't break down cellulose like ruminants. So you are essentially giving that nutrition to your gut biome. I mean maybe it works out okay if you have a diverse healthy gut, but most people don't and I think it's dangerous advice.

I watched this recently. The speaker seems a bit crazy but makes some interesting cases. He claims it is basically impossible to not get enough protein in ones diet. He claims to eat very low protein, and still manages to have a lot of muscular strength, he definitely looks pretty healthy for someone his age...

As much as I appreciated Travis’ information he had classic stereotypical behavoir of the vegan community such as emotional outbursts and ad hominen attacks at/on members of the forum for asking him questions about his protocol that had any implication of disagreement even if the intention was solely to gain insight from his knowledge. I do believe this may have been a function of his diet in light of my experience having tried a similar diet in the past.
Exactly.

olive

I watched this recently. The speaker seems a bit crazy but makes some interesting cases. He claims it is basically impossible to not get enough protein in ones diet. He claims to eat very low protein, and still manages to have a lot of muscular strength, he definitely looks pretty healthy for someone his age...

Protein requirements are entirely overstated. I struggle to get 60g most days but I’m continueing to get stronger, bigger and leaner. I think there’s been a few threads on this forum that have come to the same conclusion - a high carb diet spares protein requirements. I prefer eating this way as I find carbs to be tastier, cheaper, easier to digest and easier to prepare than proteins - in general. There’s also issues with high protein intake; namely methionine and excessive mtor activation. Ethically and environmentally I think it’s also preferable to consume plant based carbohydrates over meat/dairy protein where possible - I know some will disagree, not trying to derail the thread.

InChristAlone

Fruitarianism feels good for a while because of all the copper. But if you aren't finding good sources of zinc you will suffer an imbalance eventually. Choline will be greatly lacking as well. I don't know any smart fruitarians who would go on to have children without supplementing quite a few a things. And don't forget about selenium, for vegans who don't agree with supplements they will have to find a good source for that. Wheat is a good source but people despise wheat. So the diet would need to be micro managed for good long term results. We aren't apes, we have massive brains.

bennyha

Fruitarianism feels good for a while because of all the copper. But if you aren't finding good sources of zinc you will suffer an imbalance eventually. Choline will be greatly lacking as well. I don't know any smart fruitarians who would go on to have children without supplementing quite a few a things. And don't forget about selenium, for vegans who don't agree with supplements they will have to find a good source for that. Wheat is a good source but people despise wheat. So the diet would need to be micro managed for good long term results. We aren't apes, we have massive brains.

Correct you are. Felt great initially, then ran into a ton of problems eventually. I also also believe it’s because of the huge amounts of copper. I was supplementing a lot of an expensive zinc recommended by Medical Medium and I was still severely imbalanced in terms of zinc to copper.

Kelj

Paul Jaminet, of the Perfect Health Diet, makes an interesting point about world-wide protein intake. He says if people have the protein sources readily available where they live, all diets tend to be 15% protein. My own experiment, ongoing, in truly intuitive eating (eating anything you want, when you want, in the quantity you want) would bear that out. I have been very low carb in the past, relying on protein for calories, but now that I make no rules about eating I eat much less meat. My natural desire for protein is more about dairy and eggs. I desire carbohydrate foods much more, naturally. The body tells us what we should eat, if we let it. It will vary from day to day if we eat what seems most delicious to us at the moment, as Dr. Peat says. Everything will be part of our diet if we follow our desire for food. Smoothies of fruit and fruit juices, raw foods, meat, milk...just everything, as the body tells us what we need every day. But, I believe the desire for food once normal, intuitive eating is restored, will fall into high carb, less meat. Of course, when we eat high carb, our bodies burn glucose and we don't cannibalize our own tissue very often. This allows us to build and maintain a normal amount of muscle, as long as we eat enough calories. 3000 calories is only enough to operate the base metabolism of an over 25 year old man lying down without batting an eyelash. We should think about calories only to retrain our brains to eat ENOUGH food, not to restrict calories.

sladerunner69

As much as I appreciated Travis’ information he had classic stereotypical behavoir of the vegan community such as emotional outbursts and ad hominen attacks at/on members of the forum for asking him questions about his protocol that had any implication of disagreement even if the intention was solely to gain insight from his knowledge. I do believe this may have been a function of his diet in light of my experience having tried a similar diet in the past.

The confrontational/aggressive personality you are described is one that I believe most share, and is one of high serotonin. If this guy eats tons of raw fruit and greens, I could easily see this impacting digestive health and leading to serotonin dominance. Fiberous plants will irritate the gut, and Dates have an especially tough fiber for a fruit, and if 1lb is being consumed per day than I would think this is something to consider. Not eating gelatin/glycine or any calcium would maybe contribute as well.

B

Braveheart

Paul Jaminet, of the Perfect Health Diet, makes an interesting point about world-wide protein intake. He says if people have the protein sources readily available where they live, all diets tend to be 15% protein. My own experiment, ongoing, in truly intuitive eating (eating anything you want, when you want, in the quantity you want) would bear that out. I have been very low carb in the past, relying on protein for calories, but now that I make no rules about eating I eat much less meat. My natural desire for protein is more about dairy and eggs. I desire carbohydrate foods much more, naturally. The body tells us what we should eat, if we let it. It will vary from day to day if we eat what seems most delicious to us at the moment, as Dr. Peat says. Everything will be part of our diet if we follow our desire for food. Smoothies of fruit and fruit juices, raw foods, meat, milk...just everything, as the body tells us what we need every day. But, I believe the desire for food once normal, intuitive eating is restored, will fall into high carb, less meat. Of course, when we eat high carb, our bodies burn glucose and we don't cannibalize our own tissue very often. This allows us to build and maintain a normal amount of muscle, as long as we eat enough calories. 3000 calories is only enough to operate the base metabolism of an over 25 year old man lying down without batting an eyelash. We should think about calories only to retrain our brains to eat ENOUGH food, not to restrict calories.
:thumbsup: Yes...it's not about eating less... it's about eating better.

The confrontational/aggressive personality you are described is one that I believe most share, and is one of high serotonin. If this guy eats tons of raw fruit and greens, I could easily see this impacting digestive health and leading to serotonin dominance. Fiberous plants will irritate the gut, and Dates have an especially tough fiber for a fruit, and if 1lb is being consumed per day than I would think this is something to consider. Not eating gelatin/glycine or any calcium would maybe contribute as well.
Yeah, Travis was very fond of dates and kale. He also ate coconuts, which can be very irritating to the gut. Even coconut oil gives me a headache if it's unrefined. It's unfortunate that dates have problematic fibers in them, they are such a great source of nutrients and sugar. They are cheap too and have very little PUFA.

milkboi

Yeah, Travis was very fond of dates and kale. He also ate coconuts, which can be very irritating to the gut. Even coconut oil gives me a headache if it's unrefined. It's unfortunate that dates have problematic fibers in them, they are such a great source of nutrients and sugar. They are cheap too and have very little PUFA.

Try date syrup :thumbright

YourUniverse

Good points, and its all possible. I think all of these concerns were brought to his attention, which he defended in the thread baring his name.

FWIW, his diet inherently has beneficial calcium:phosphorus and glycine:methionine ratios (as greens/fruit would)

date marmalade is good too.
I will try that too. Maybe if the fiber is cooked, then it won't bother my gut. Thanks!

Cirion

That video looks interesting but long so bookmarked for later.

Just judging from a minute or two he does seem really healthy and energetic for his age. How long has he been eating that way? How does he manage to avoid deficiencies?

Intuitively, I feel like there is something to a low protein diet. But if there is, why do so many crash and burn on fruitarian / Dr. Morse style eating? There are some even on these forums defending this style of eating, but I'm trying to reconcile this with reality? I am open-minded, I just want to know how to make a low-protein diet sustainable long term while managing deficiencies? Maybe it just means less protein than we're used to eating but not zero? I think only eating 20 gram is extreme, but I could see dropping from say 200g to 100g and not worry about deficiencies. 80-100g seems like a reasonable middle ground? RP found that for himself any less than 80g and he didn't feel right. I am just fascinated how he can eat 20g a day and be strong?

I for one have intense hunger that isn't satiated by carbs. Does he or anyone else that follows low protein know why hunger is only sated by protein and fats if that's not what the body wants? Maybe you have to be active/lift weights on a regular basis to make an ultra high carb diet work? Perhaps this trains the body to operate off of carbs better?

For every person here like @olive who has made this work, there is another that has failed. @tca300 could not make a low protein diet work. I read one of his earlier posts where he said he tried and could not gain strength in the gym, yet this guy claims he can and does? What gives? Why does it work for some and not others?? I seriously would like to know as I kind of would be curious to figure out how to make this work.

sebastian_r

For every person here like @olive who has made this work, there is another that has failed. @tca300 could not make a low protein diet work. I read one of his earlier posts where he said he tried and could not gain strength in the gym, yet this guy claims he can and does? What gives? Why does it work for some and not others?? I seriously would like to know as I kind of would be curious to figure out how to make this work.

Some people just have great genetics and could even make bricks fried in pufa work.

I see it when I am on testosterone, I can eat things that would send me right into a coma without gear.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom