Eating large amounts of white sugar

algrthms

New to this way of eating, and still experimenting with what works for me and not!

Recently, I've been consuming around 7-10 tablespoons of white sugar each day - reason why is because I've not been able to stomach plain water, so I make hot chocolate using unsweetened cacao powder and sugar.

Is this bad? I have quite a bit of energy, and I feel fine...

New to this way of eating, and still experimenting with what works for me and not!

Recently, I've been consuming around 7-10 tablespoons of white sugar each day - reason why is because I've not been able to stomach plain water, so I make hot chocolate using unsweetened cacao powder and sugar.

“Eating sugar and using caffeine, which increases the oxidation of sugar (Yeo, et al., 2005), can reduce fatigue, both subjectively and objectively. Metabolically, they increase the production of carbon dioxide. Increasing sugar decreases the liberation and use of fatty acids, and by a variety of mechanisms, helps to lower the production of ammonia, lactate, and inflammatory cytokines. (Lactic acid, in combination with acidosis and free phospholipids, can interfere with efficient cell functions [Pacini and Kane, 1991; Boachie-Ansah, et al., 1992].) Free fatty acids release tryptophan from albumin, contributing to the formation of serotonin, which increases the sense of fatigue.“ -Ray Peat

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Look up Atom Bergstrom's experiments with buckets of sugar. He's perfectly fine.

Gânico

Sugar is the most stigmatized food out there, even a bit here.. but it is very helpful and It's completely fine if your overall diet is nutritious.

Impero

I reckon the danger with sugar is not so much sugar itself (it is just glucose and fructose, after all), but what it "prevents" you from eating.

Getting most of your carb calories from sugar means you're not getting them from other more nutritionally-dense foods like fruits and milk, which can cause deficiencies in the long run.

Last edited:
I reckon the danger with sugar is not so much sugar itself (it is just glucose and fructose, after all), but what it "prevents" you from eating.

Getting most of your carb calories from sugar means you're not getting it from other more nutritionally-dense foods like fruits and milk, which can cause deficiencies in the long run.
Well said!

Birdie

So, you are adding the sugar to water because it doesn't appeal lately? As you get more involved with Peat, you'll see he doesn't recommend water, but rather talks about liquids like milk, juice and coffee. So, you could, rather than adding sugar to water, drink apple or grape juice or orange juice.

I only drink water occasionally with supplements.

OP
A

algrthms

So, you are adding the sugar to water because it doesn't appeal lately? As you get more involved with Peat, you'll see he doesn't recommend water, but rather talks about liquids like milk, juice and coffee. So, you could, rather than adding sugar to water, drink apple or grape juice or orange juice.

I only drink water occasionally with supplements.
Yeah - the thought of drinking plain water rn just repulses me lol
I've been doing a lot of milk smoothies, coffee, slushies w ice, etc too
Thank u sm!

OP
A

algrthms

Getting most of your carb calories from sugar means you're not getting them from other more nutritionally-dense foods like fruits and milk, which can cause deficiencies in the long run.
Ah this makes sense, thanks so much

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals