Eating for metabolic rate rather than particular foods

leo

I know there is a Peat quote that says something to this effect.

The other night we went out with friends to a local restaurant. On the way there, I was trying to mentally pre-program in my mind what I would eat from the menu. Most places are easy here as there is always some tropical fruit drink I can order first instead of cocktails, then a seafood dish with maybe white rice, then a flan or coffee for afterwards.

When we got there everyone wanted to do "tapas" style...where you just order a bunch of appetizers for the table and share. I pretty much broke my resolved because a lot of the things were breaded. But the dish I ate the most was the clams...cooked with garlic wine and oil. I am pretty sure it was not even olive oil but argh vegetable oil! It wasn't nice, but I was trying to avoid the fried breaded things.

When I came home I took my temperature and it was 99.2. I did not have dessert coffee anything else. I did not eat that much.

Would this be that the clams were metabolically good despite the oil or would it be that all the vegetable oil (PUFA) caused a stress and my high temperature was a result of stress.

I would like to better understand this....we eat out a lot. I read a thread here where someone said restaurant food is absolutely the worst....here we don't go to chain restaurants....usually locally owned where we know the owners, but still, I know that profit is bottom line and not always do they use the best ingredients.

But until now, the only time I have seen a temperature like that is after the carrot salad.

jyb

You can't infer anything from just 1 temps measurement. You temp could have been high for any reason. Just walking can increase temps, or lower it.

As to eating out...I sometimes find myself in the same situation, where all options are bad (grains, vegetable oil...). In that case I usually try to chose the least bad (I'd rather eat some kind of grain than fried pufas) and the least possible, and try if I can to order something protective like milk/cheese. Note that if you ate a really nasty meal and you didn't have choice, maybe you could eat activated charcoal (binds toxins), carrot salad and a bit of cascara so to reduce absorption and flush the meal.

kiran

I've noticed something similar. If I eat out with friends, then I feel good afterwards even if the food wasn't that healthy. I'd be very sensitive to the very same foods if I got takeout though.

I think the company of friends is beneficial to the metabolic rate.

Just don't abuse it ...

jb4566

I agree with kiran,

"Everyday social experiences affect metabolism, stimulating and supporting some kinds of brain activity, suppressing and punishing others. All of the activities in the child's environment are educational, in one way or another." - RP

If you didn't measure your pulse and temps before the meal, I don't know if you can jump to the conclusion that your metabolic rate increased though.

OP
L

leo

Actually I did measure temps..not pulse. Temp was lower before meal.

It's no big deal....but I just thought it strange that they went so high (high for me).

jb4566

leo said:
Actually I did measure temps..not pulse. Temp was lower before meal.

It's no big deal....but I just thought it strange that they went so high (high for me).

If it is working for you, I would say keep doing it.

Dutchie

@Leo i dont know how well you know the restaurantholders,but maybe you can talk to them about switching to coconut oil or butter? Or if you provide them some,that theyll use it when preparing your dishes?:)