Eating for Energy - Dogs

5magicbeans

I recently exchanged emails with regarding cataracts in dogs and appropriate nutrition:

"I think the biggest risk for dogs is a high ratio of phosphate to calcium and magnesium, and of PUFA to saturated fat and carbohydrates. Substituting some fruits and vegetables for the commonly used cereals and legumes would improve the ratios."

What would be an ideal ratio of phosphate to calcium and magnesium?

"It's probably similar to the amount that would be in a diet of whole rodents, birds, and eggs, and I think that would be similar to the ratio of calcium to phosphate in milk, which is a little more than 1. A little bone meal would be helpful, or an occasional egg shell (nearly all calcium, very little phosphate); although cereals contain considerable magnesium, vegetables or fruits are better magnesium sources because of their lower phosphate."

By "cereals" does he mean grains?

Are rabbits "rodents"? Are chickens "birds"? Or would he be referring to "wild" birds and rats?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mittir

I think he meant grains by "cereals" . Seeds, legumes, grains, nuts and meat are
high in phosphorus and low in calcium. He is simply pointing out that
cereals are major part of regular dog food. Then he suggested fruits and vegetables
for magnesium and acknowledged cereals have good amount of magnesium.
Most grains, cereals and seeds are high in magnesium. In KMUD interview
he talked about curing a friend's dog by adding sugar to the meat.
Fructose in sugar helps with lowering absorption of phosphorus.

himsahimsa

Rabbits are not rodents but probably have a similar mineral profile. Chickens are dinosaurs.

fyo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodent

Rodents are of a size where the dog could still consume the bones, for calcium. Bigger animals are nutritionally fine, so long as PUFAs in the animal are low (i.e. ruminant or wild animals), but their bones might need to be boiled in a stock. Or maybe all that bone gnawing dogs do will give them adequate calcium, I don't know.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals