Eating animal blood

barefooter

Prior to getting into Peat I had bought a pig from a local farm. I went out to the slaughter so I could collect the blood and save it for eating. About a month back I cooked a bunch of the blood, and started eating it with most meals. I had really good energy that week. Unfortunately, I ran out, and I've yet to find another source. Does anyone have experience with eating blood, and if so what effects did you observe? I've heard it's low in some amino acids, and that combining it with milk balances it out. It seems to work well for the Masai. Anyone have anymore info on this? Thanks

Dewitt

There's not much detailed information on the nutrition in animal blood, but it seems to consist mostly of protein and iron. Because of the very high iron content, I don't think it is a good staple.

Mittir

Blood is very high in heme iron and total iron. RP recommends a low iron diet.
Iron rich food can be good for someone with below normal iron storage.
Excess iron is cause of many health issues.
Masai people drank a lot of milk and milk is very low in iron.
It is possible they were iron deficient and they used blood as iron source.
Here is a Ray Peat article on iron.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

jaguar43

barefooter said:
Prior to getting into Peat I had bought a pig from a local farm. I went out to the slaughter so I could collect the blood and save it for eating. About a month back I cooked a bunch of the blood, and started eating it with most meals. I had really good energy that week. Unfortunately, I ran out, and I've yet to find another source. Does anyone have experience with eating blood, and if so what effects did you observe? I've heard it's low in some amino acids, and that combining it with milk balances it out. It seems to work well for the Masai. Anyone have anymore info on this? Thanks

blood tacos?