Eating 1 Lb Of Sugar Daily Has Strikingly Positive Effects On (male) Fertility

haidut

Forum Supporter
When I saw this news article pop up in my daily feed I immediately thought to myself "This study will never get covered by large mainstream news outlets". And of course, the websites of CNN, Fox, ABC, CNBC, USA Today, etc have no trace of an article covering the study or even just the basic findings. And those findings are particularly damning for nutritional mantra we hear every day - "eat less, move more, and for God's sake drop the sweet stuff". Well, as it seems, if a male wants to have children then eating at least a pound of "the sweet stuff" a day, on top of his regular diet, may be one of the best things that male can do for is reproductive health. I would pay to see the expression on any urologist's face when he/she is shown the study and then the patient says "so Doc, drinking 6-7 extra Coke / Pepsi bottles a day sounds about right?" :):

Human sperm displays rapid responses to diet

Diet easily affects quality of sperm, find researchers

"...Researchers have found a study that sperm is affected by diet and its results appear rapidly. The research also gave new insights into the sperm process which, in the long term, can continue to assess sperm values by modern testing methods. The study published in 'PLOS Biology' was found by researchers at Linkoping University who fed healthy young men a high sugar diet.

"...In some cases, such epigenetic changes will contribute to the transmission of properties through the sperm or egg from parent to parent. In an earlier study, researchers have shown that male fruit flies that had eaten excess sugar shortly before the patient became overweight more often produced offspring. Scientists have hypothesized that RNA sperm fragments may engage in epigenetic processes, but it is too early to tell whether they do in human beings. The new study was initiated by the researchers to investigate whether high consumption of sugar affects the RNA fragments in human sperm. The study examined 15 normal, non-smoking young men, who followed a diet in which they were given all food from the scientists for two weeks. The diet was based on the Nordic Nutrition Recommendations for healthy eating with one exception: during the second week, the researchers added sugar, corresponding to around 3.5 litres of fizzy drinks, or 450 grammes of confectionery, every day. The sperm quality and other indicators of the participants' health were investigated at the start of the study, after the first week (during which they ate a healthy diet), and after the second week (when the participants had additionally consumed large amounts of sugar). One third had poor sperm motility at the beginning of the test. Motility is one of several factors influencing the quality of sperms, and that of the general population was the proportion of people with low sperm motility studied. The authors were surprised to learn that the motility of sperm of all participants during the research had become natural. "The study shows that sperm motility can be changed in a short period, and seems to be closely coupled to diet. This has important clinical implications."

Noodlz2

It looks like they used candy instead of sugar, so it may be these people were just under eating, and the extra calories helped sperm production, as opposed to sugar being particularly helpful.

Cool to see a study like this though.

Last edited:

A.R

When I saw this news article pop up in my daily feed I immediately thought to myself "This study will never get covered by large mainstream news outlets". And of course, the websites of CNN, Fox, ABC, CNBC, USA Today, etc have no trace of an article covering the study or even just the basic findings. And those findings are particularly damning for nutritional mantra we hear every day - "eat less, move more, and for God's sake drop the sweet stuff". Well, as it seems, if a male wants to have children then eating at least a pound of "the sweet stuff" a day, on top of his regular diet, may be one of the best things that male can do for is reproductive health. I would pay to see the expression on any urologist's face when he/she is shown the study and then the patient says "so Doc, drinking 6-7 extra Coke / Pepsi bottles a day sounds about right?" :):

"...Researchers have found a study that sperm is affected by diet and its results appear rapidly. The research also gave new insights into the sperm process which, in the long term, can continue to assess sperm values by modern testing methods. The study published in 'PLOS Biology' was found by researchers at Linkoping University who fed healthy young men a high sugar diet.

"...In some cases, such epigenetic changes will contribute to the transmission of properties through the sperm or egg from parent to parent. In an earlier study, researchers have shown that male fruit flies that had eaten excess sugar shortly before the patient became overweight more often produced offspring. Scientists have hypothesized that RNA sperm fragments may engage in epigenetic processes, but it is too early to tell whether they do in human beings. The new study was initiated by the researchers to investigate whether high consumption of sugar affects the RNA fragments in human sperm. The study examined 15 normal, non-smoking young men, who followed a diet in which they were given all food from the scientists for two weeks. The diet was based on the Nordic Nutrition Recommendations for healthy eating with one exception: during the second week, the researchers added sugar, corresponding to around 3.5 litres of fizzy drinks, or 450 grammes of confectionery, every day. The sperm quality and other indicators of the participants' health were investigated at the start of the study, after the first week (during which they ate a healthy diet), and after the second week (when the participants had additionally consumed large amounts of sugar). One third had poor sperm motility at the beginning of the test. Motility is one of several factors influencing the quality of sperms, and that of the general population was the proportion of people with low sperm motility studied. The authors were surprised to learn that the motility of sperm of all participants during the research had become natural. "The study shows that sperm motility can be changed in a short period, and seems to be closely coupled to diet. This has important clinical implications."
Great find thanks!

Eating all that sugar, how do you suggest the subjects keep their endotoxin levels as low as possible?

Kvothe

Great find thanks!

Eating all that sugar, how do you suggest the subjects keep their endotoxin levels as low as possible?

Why would you be concerned about endotoxin when eating lots of sugar?

lvysaur

It's becoming obvious to me that a sugar/fruit diet boosts erectile size, and a starch diet reduces it.

I think the starch diet makes you more intellectually "persistent" though.

lvysaur

Nice! This reminds of P.A. Piorry and William Budd, who were treating people by using large amounts of refined sugar.

lvysaur

Civil Unrest, Food Shortages, Disasters. If any of these happen sugar and salt will be the new money.

if food shortages actually happened, it seems doubtful that sugar would be advantageous. It raises the metabolism and makes us eat more. Dried legumes/meats and oils would be better to depend on.

tara

I have pondered putting away 365 lbs (1 lb a day for 1 year) in emergency storage.
If it were me, I would pick a version with more minerals. Or add a jar of blackstrap molasses.
How long does sugar really last? Is it truly indefinite?
If you can keep it dry, well sealed, protected from ants etc, I'd believe many years.

Grapelander

if food shortages actually happened, it seems doubtful that sugar would be advantageous. It raises the metabolism and makes us eat more. Dried legumes/meats and oils would be better to depend on.
I have wondered that myself - in a 'starvation' situation - would we be better off with PUFA and intentionally shut down the metabolism.

Which conditions did they treat with that?
Conditions related to diabetes.As I recall it, there was a man who got so weak and underweight that he couldn't even work anymore( I believe he worked on a farm or something?), and he got strong again by adding white sugar to his diet, and his weight went to normal. There was also the case of a woman who added honey and white sugar to her diet, and saw improvements, but I cannot remember which condition she had. Both of these cases are mentioned in one of Ray's articles, but I couldn't locate it. Sorry. If I find them, I'll post them.

Momado965

It's becoming obvious to me that a sugar/fruit diet boosts erectile size, and a starch diet reduces it.

I think the starch diet makes you more intellectually "persistent" though.

What do you meab by intellectually persistent?

TheSir

1 lb of sugar sounds like a lot - it is however 1775 calories.
I have pondered putting away 365 lbs (1 lb a day for 1 year) in emergency storage.
Would not take up much room; and storage life is indefinite.
There was a man in my country who had stacked his sauna full of sugar (3000kg in total) in preparation for the 2012, peak oil etc, with the intention of becoming a wealthy sugar mogul in a post-apocalyptic world. A while after he got the job done the floor gave up and most of the sugar was spoiled by wetness :D

WqF5w1W.jpg