Easy Poached Eggs

edwardBe

For many years, I ate two heavily salted poached eggs on whole wheat toast every morning with a couple of cups of coffee. This blatant disregard for the dangers of saturated fats and salt may have saved me from being too heavily composed of PUFAs.

When I went low carb/paleo I finally had to give up toast after trying those disgusting low carb breads. I thought my poached egg days were over when I realized the only way I would get all that runny egg yolk goodness was by licking my plate which was less satisfactory since the stuff on the plate was cold. My wife didn't like it either, for some reason.

Then I about three months ago I discovered these.

I cook my locally grown (small) eggs 4 minutes and 20 seconds to get what we former short order cooks call over medium (liquid yellow and mostly firm white) and then eat them out of the pouch with a spoon. It helps the eggs not to stick to coat the inside with butter or coconut oil if it is firm, not liquid. And since I have hard water, I mix 50% vinegar with the water so that I don't get a white coating on the inside of the pan. I use the water for about a week or until it gets too funky.

Asimov

Why not just serve poached eggs over a carrot salad?

This seems like a waste. Silicon is a terrible conductor of heat. I'd image it tastes terrible. And...it's just not hard to poach eggs. No need to spend the 8 bucks.

Use fresh eggs and swirl the water before cracking the egg. The eggs will come out nicely.

jc.

Thanks for the link, Ed, I just got my pouches and tried them this morning. No weird flavors or smells. I guess you made $0.35 as an affiliate. :)

Asimov, 328 out of 399 people on Amazon rate these things 4 or 5 stars. Of course, they actually bought and tried them, unlike you. Also, I believe we are meant to eat carrot salad by itself to maximize the antibiotic effect.

Jason