EASY "PEATY" PROTEINS - Recipes with photos & Step By Step Instructions

OP
Rinse & rePeat
PARMESAN RICE

1. Gather ingredients

2. Melt in a pot, with a tight fitting lid, 4 tablespoon of butter and saute in it a half cup of minced sweet onion and cook for a few minutes.

3. Add in 1.5 cups uncooked long-grain rice and 3 large cloves of garlic, minced.

4. Add in 14-oz of chicken bone broth, 1 cup of whole milk and the zest of one lemon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid and add in 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a half cup of shredded parmesan.

So many Ray "Peaters" are eating white rice, which seems like a pointless splurge to me, but making it more "Peaty" by adding in the milk, bone broth and parmesan makes tons more sense! This is reminiscent of risotto, and is especially good topped with finely chopped sundried tomatoes, like pasta with marinara! This is good all by itself or to build on, for a bigger meal, with sauteed mushrooms, shrimp or other bits of leftover meat.

There are 64 grams of protein in this recipe if you use 2 ounces of parmesan. Add some shrimp to this and whaaat? It's a done deal! Sometimes I double the parm!!

8 milk
20 broth
18 rice
18 parmesan

This one isn't my recipe. The original recipe is linked here below.

Attachments

• 20210911_165514.jpg
    20210911_165514.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210911_164155.jpg
    20210911_164155.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210911_164755.jpg
    20210911_164755.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210911_164843.jpg
    20210911_164843.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210911_164915.jpg
    20210911_164915.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210911_152757.jpg
    20210911_152757.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
INSTANT BONE BROTH

1. To make these instant bone broth frozen pieces, just let your bone broth boil down till it is concentrated with very little liquid left, maybe about 3 inches deep. Strain bone both into a wide bottom glass bowl. Cool bone broth, cover and chill thoroughly. Remove fat from top and break bone broth into large pieces and place them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Freeze and store in an air tight container.

2. When ready to use, boil water and pour into mug.

3. Drop in the frozen bone broth piece. Stir for 30 seconds or till melted and enjoy!

What I like about bone broth this way is that it is fast and fresh. Bone broth just sitting in the fridge waiting to get used and degrading in the process raises its histamine content. These gelatin pucks are so gelatinous you can take it in a baggie unfrozen.

Attachments

• 20210914_213314.jpg
    20210914_213314.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210914_174535.jpg
    20210914_174535.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210914_174647.jpg
    20210914_174647.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210914_174718.jpg
    20210914_174718.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Yes, beef liver has so much of the oily vitamins that it just takes an occasional meal to meet those requirements generously. The charts have stopped giving its vitamin E content, and rarely mention vitamin K, but it's very good for those. Charts still don't reflect the intracellular (lipid soluble dehydro-) form of vitamin C, but liver is a good source of that too." Ray Peat e-mail exchange

Ell

"Yes, beef liver has so much of the oily vitamins that it just takes an occasional meal to meet those requirements generously. The charts have stopped giving its vitamin E content, and rarely mention vitamin K, but it's very good for those. Charts still don't reflect the intracellular (lipid soluble dehydro-) form of vitamin C, but liver is a good source of that too." Ray Peat e-mail exchange
A cool observation is the diffrerence btw calf liver, and beef liver in terms of Cu content. The thing that made me glad that I always had eaten a lot of liver, was that it contains copper and zinc in certain proportions in easily-assimilable form. The pufa phospholipids (lecithins) in animal liver are far superior to lecithin phospholipids from soy, which is all you can get online. I grew up poor, we had liver twice a week basically because it was cheap, and same with egg sandwiches twice a week for dinner, also cheap. But, those cheap foods momma made served me well, they had more nutrition in them than prime rib. !!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
A cool observation is the diffrerence btw calf liver, and beef liver in terms of Cu content. The thing that made me glad that I always had eaten a lot of liver, was that it contains copper and zinc in certain proportions in easily-assimilable form. The pufa phospholipids (lecithins) in animal liver are far superior to lecithin phospholipids from soy, which is all you can get online. I grew up poor, we had liver twice a week basically because it was cheap, and same with egg sandwiches twice a week for dinner, also cheap. But, those cheap foods momma made served me well, they had more nutrition in them than prime rib. !!

Oh I grew up on weekly liver, brewers yeast, braunschwaeger and canned oysters, otherwise known as childhood trauma! I don't know how much of the liver and oysters I really got down, since I had many clever ways to dispose of them, but yeah at least our parents tried harder than most nowadays, giving them Hot Pockets, fast food and mayonnaise on everything.

Ell

Oh I grew up on weekly liver, brewers yeast, braunschwaeger and canned oysters, otherwise known as childhood trauma! I don't know how much of the liver and oysters I really got down, since I had many clever ways to dispose of them, but yeah at least our parents tried harder than most nowadays, giving them Hot Pockets, fast food and mayonnaise on everything.
cool, your parents. Badasses actually ! We need more parents like that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
cool, your parents. Badasses actually ! We need more parents like that.

I am successfully sneaking liver and oysters into my family's meals, and my boys grew up on brewer's yeast, one liking it and the other hating it. I am trying!

Ell

I am successfully sneaking liver and oysters into my family's meals, and my boys grew up on brewer's yeast, one liking it and the other hating it. I am trying!
Don't neglect the iodine, it is sooo important, and most endocrinologists aren't informed but about 12% or so of them are, those are the ones ya want. I think a big part of it is for the boys to become mindful of the importance of what they stuff down the ole hatch. but, how to do that ??

Ell

I used to secretly add Lugol's Iodine drops to my family's milk, in an amount that mimicked what was in the milk in the 1950's and 60's. It is perhaps too much to give you so freely but there are groups who have this iodine thing down, and all their children are uber-geniuses. I used to call it "Halogen Imbalance", b/c iodine supp. is so central to everything, that we also have to look at dietary interferents, such as "fluoride", which really isn't fluoride in the water supplies, but rather it is hexafluorosilicilate, which is different and is also why no test for Silicon in a human will ever be "approved" by the regulators, becuase of what it would reveal, bwahahahaha ! So, we have a million things to worry about, but only so limited much time and energy to do it. The successful citizen will surely be the one skilled in time-management, be it of volition or otherwise :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Don't neglect the iodine, it is sooo important, and most endocrinologists aren't informed but about 12% or so of them are, those are the ones ya want. I think a big part of it is for the boys to become mindful of the importance of what they stuff down the ole hatch. but, how to do that ??

I eat a lot of seafood so there is no worry there, but supplimenting would be too precarious for me to ever tread there. Here are some e-mail exchanges to Mr. Bollox on that...

"Used occasionally as a topical antiseptic, tincture of iodine is safe. Historically iodide has been used to treat a breast infection. That’s very different from the cult of daily use of large amounts of iodide, started by Guy Abraham."-Ray Peat
(he attached like 70 studies along with this comment)

"The founder of the current iodine cult, Guy Abraham, was promoting iodine along with their radiation devices to protect against electromagnetic pollution. I couldn’t decide whether he really believed those things, or just used them to sell his product." -Ray Peat

"No, I have never recommended several milligram doses of iodide, and I have often pointed out the damage to the thyroid gland that even moderate iodide supplements can cause to the thyroid gland." -Ray Peat

I think we need to eat foods in their original form and let our bodies sort it all out.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Gelatinous Beef Oxtail BONE BROTH

1. For a gelatinous broth you'll need to use bones with knuckles and a lot of connective joint tissue bones, without it will not gel up. I like to use fatty grass fed oxtails for my beef bone broth. First I soak all the blood out of my oxtails for a couple of hours. Keep throwing out the water and replacing with new cold water until the water stays relatively clear.

2. Next fill a big pot with filtered water and add in your oxtails. Bring to a boil WITHOUT a lid.

3. Be sure and skim off the foamy scum that floats to the top at the beginning, and continue boiling on a rather high heat with the lid off for 3+ hours adding in water when it gets low.

When the oxtails are fork tender, remove the oxtails from the broth to to cool. Strain the liquids through a metal sieve into a glass bowl to cool before putting in the refrigerator. The fat will get hard on the top, which i remove and freeze for cooking things like ground beef taco meat or pan fried steaks.

Depending on what I intend to use the oxtails for, sometimes I store them in the fridge whole, or when they are just cooled enough to handle, i will take the meat off the bones and freeze the bones for a second boil. There is so much gelatin still left on the bones. That second boil makes a really clean gelatin that is tasty eaten cold with just a little salt.

If I only had two choices for where it is best to spend my "meat money" allowance, it would be on corn & soy free chicken wings and grass fed beef oxtails. Both seem expensive, but both give me a high quality meal, but also lots of bone broth too, which makes them a great value for the money. The high end freezer Bonafide bone broth is $10 to $12 for three cups, and it isn't nearly as gelatinous or tasty as mine. Plus the store bought is full of oxalates from all vegetables, no thanks!

When using the oxtails off the bone, beware of occasional small bone fragments. Otherwise the whole ones are nice to eat broiled with just salt or as the main attraction in a brothy soup.

"When cells are stressed, they form extra collagen, but they can also dissolve it, to allow for tissue remodeling and growth. Invasive cancers over-produce this kind of enzyme, destroying the extracellular matrix which is needed for normal cellular differentiation and function. When collagen is broken down, it releases factors that promote wound healing and suppress tumor invasiveness. (Pasco, et al., 2003) Glycine itself is one of the factors promoting wound healing and tumor inhibition." -Ray Peat

UG Krishnamurti Membere-mail exchange with Ray Peat....

Ray responds on making gelatin and bones containing fluoride:

"The bone fluoride is very insoluble, so I don’t think there’s a problem. Long bones contain marrow, and prolonged cooking of that produces a lot of fat oxidation products. The tendons and ligaments around joints are the main source of gelatin, rather than the bone itself." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
In case you were looking for a reason to celebrate or indulge, National Lobster Day is this Friday, September 25th! I know I am gonna have some fun!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rosemary Lamb Loin Chops w/Lemon Goat Cheese

1. Rinse chops and pat dry. Trim off any excess fat,and freeze to add to a good gelatinous bone broth. Chop about a tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves and disgard their stalks. Mix the rosemary with two tablespoons of good olive oil and a pinch of salt, not much. Rub the rosemary mixure into both sides of the chops. Let the chops sit for about an hour, or even overnight before cooking them.

2. Put 4 ounces of a good soft goat cheese in a small bowl. I like Cypress Grove Ms. Natural for this dish. Use preserved lemon in this dish not fresh. Preserved lemons are lemons packed in lots of salt and water and left to soften. A preserved lemon is nothing like fresh lemon peel. When my lemons get ripe I will preserve some and post the directions.

3. Cut the only the peel from the preserved lemon and discard the insides and any stray seeds. Mince the peels very small.

4. Add the preserved lemon peel to the bowl with the goat cheese, along with 2 tablespoons of good olive oil. No need to salt this as the preserved lemons are very salty already.

5. Mash everything together.

6. Heat a good frying pan and cook chops on all sides to preferred doneness. Remove chops from the heat and tent them with foil for 5 or so minutes. This is a necessary step, because puting the goat cheese mixture on sooner might get juices leaching into the cheese, which is not a pretty sight.

I love lamb loin chops because they are like steak, but more mild than beef. Lamb rib chops, on the other hand, have a sweet decadent lamb flavor. This lemon goat cheese topping is not a good pairing for the rib chops. This topping is more like topping a steak with blue cheese. This is my own recipe, enjoy!

"Sugar helps the liver to make cholesterol, switching from starchy vegetables to sweet fruits will usually bring cholesterol levels up to normal. If the fat is mostly saturated, from milk, cheese, butter, beef, lamb or coconut oil, I think it's usually o.k. to get about 50% of the calories from fat, but since those natural fats typically contain around 2% polyunsaturated fats, I try to minimize my PUFA intake by having more fruit, and a little less fat, maybe 30 to 35%." -Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20210918_211135.jpg
    20210918_211135.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210920_004235.jpg
    20210920_004235.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210920_132116.jpg
    20210920_132116.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210920_132641.jpg
    20210920_132641.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210920_133931.jpg
    20210920_133931.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210920_134005.jpg
    20210920_134005.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210920_134133.jpg
    20210920_134133.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 16

Regina

Rosemary Lamb Loin Chops w/Lemon Goat Cheese

1. Rinse chops and pat dry. Trim off any excess fat,and freeze to add to a good gelatinous bone broth. Chop about a tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves and disgard their stalks. Mix the rosemary with two tablespoons of good olive oil and a pinch of salt, not much. Rub the rosemary mixure into both sides of the chops. Let the chops sit for about an hour, or even overnight before cooking them.

2. Put 4 ounces of a good soft goat cheese in a small bowl. I like Cypress Grove Ms. Natural for this dish. Use preserved lemon in this dish not fresh. Preserved lemons are lemons packed in lots of salt and water and left to soften. A preserved lemon is nothing like fresh lemon peel. When my lemons get ripe I will preserve some and post the directions.

3. Cut the only the peel from the preserved lemon and discard the insides and any stray seeds. Mince the peels very small.

4. Add the preserved lemon peel to the bowl with the goat cheese, along with 2 tablespoons of good olive oil. No need to salt this as the preserved lemons are very salty already.

5. Mash everything together.

6. Heat a good frying pan and cook chops on all sides to preferred doneness. Remove chops from the heat and tent them with foil for 5 or so minutes. This is a necessary step, because puting the goat cheese mixture on sooner might get juices leaching into the cheese, which is not a pretty sight.

I love lamb loin chops because they are like steak, but more mild than beef. Lamb rib chops, on the other hand, have a sweet decadent lamb flavor. This lemon goat cheese topping is not a good pairing for the rib chops. This topping is more like topping a steak with blue cheese. This is my own recipe, enjoy!

"Sugar helps the liver to make cholesterol, switching from starchy vegetables to sweet fruits will usually bring cholesterol levels up to normal. If the fat is mostly saturated, from milk, cheese, butter, beef, lamb or coconut oil, I think it's usually o.k. to get about 50% of the calories from fat, but since those natural fats typically contain around 2% polyunsaturated fats, I try to minimize my PUFA intake by having more fruit, and a little less fat, maybe 30 to 35%." -Ray Peat
?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Peel & Eat Shrimp & Other Steamed Shellfish

1. Wash shrimp and put in a steamer basket with water below. Turn on heat and get the water to boiling. Steam the shrimp, with a lid on, till done. With frozen shrimp it takes about 5 to 7 minutes for jumbo shrimp to get done. Smaller shrimp or defrosted would take less time. This is one of my usual "go-to" meals. I like it with a side of melted butter with a pinch of salt and some Tabasco Habanero, which is sweeter than regular Tabasco. The shrimps can also be cooled and chilled and served with cocktail sauce. For a real splurge I sometimes steam a seafood platter with other shellfish like a small lobster tail, crab or scallops. This is so quick and easy and oh my gosh so SO good!

Attachments

• 20210919_214920.jpg
    20210919_214920.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210919_214526.jpg
    20210919_214526.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210921_135943.jpg
    20210921_135943.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210204_125409.jpg
    20210204_125409.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 11
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yayyy! Tomorrow is National Lobster Day! Years ago I tried every kind of lobster trying to figure why sometimes they are good and most of the time they have no flavor. I would say it was a fun experiment, but there were too many uneventful outcomes. I finally figured out that it was the method of cooking that made the difference. This recipe was IT! I have been using this recipe for lobster for 20+ years now and it beats almost any lobsters I have had in restaurants. Don't boil lobsters, all the flavor goes in the water. The last time I made them I did half of the tail on the BBQ and the other half in the oven and still couldn't decide which was better. Here is a pic of last year's lobster dinner! Tomorrow I will be making an Austrailia lobster tail, so I will be sure to get step-by-step photo instructions to post here over the weekend!

Attachments

• 20210923_125010.jpg
    20210923_125010.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201129_153341.jpg
    20201129_153341.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 12
OP
Rinse & rePeat
RICOTTA MANY WAYS

1. Cut sweet red or orange bell pepper into thin strips. Cut porchetta or other cured Italian meat into thin strips.

2. Saute both in a little olive oil. Feel free to add in extras like garlic, sweet onion, zucchini, mushrooms and such. Top ricotta with the "just warm" toppings, a drizzle of olive oil, fresh herbs like oregano or thyme and a pinch of salt. I put chopped up sundried tomatoes on it too.

I love ricotta so many ways! My simple favorites are with chopped sundried tomatoes or Sungold cherry tomatoes with olive oil, salt and fresh thyme. I grow my own heirloom Sungold cherry tomatoes. My son said eating one once, "Boy these make it apparent that tomatoes are a fruit." I also like ricotta as a side dish topped with some sweet salsa!

Attachments

• 20210923_184042.jpg
    20210923_184042.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210923_190019.jpg
    20210923_190019.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210924_110717.jpg
    20210924_110717.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210924_110808.jpg
    20210924_110808.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201217_170606.jpg
    20201217_170606.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210107_155208.jpg
    20210107_155208.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat
BAKED LOBSTER TAIL

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Adjust the rack to the middle upper position. Mix 1/4 teaspoon each sweet paprika and salt, and a pinch of lemon pepper, allspice and cayenne pepper.

2. With a kitchen bone/meat cutter cut just under the top of the shell of the lobster through the tail.

3. Cut through the meat to the bottom shell. You may need to use the meat cutter to get through the bottom without mangling up the tail with the scissors.

4. Now that you have two half tails, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lever the tails against each other.

5. Brush on a little melted butter on each tail and season with a little of the salt/spice mix.

6. Bake the tails for 10 to 15 minutes depending on their size. Remove the tails from the oven and turn on the broiler. Baste the tails with more butter and broil for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with melted butter, lemon, salt.

"Our foods reflect our social organization, enforced by laws and rules. When I first went to Mexico to study, many traditional foods were still available even in the city--fried pig skin, served crisp or boiled with a sauce, blood tacos, cartilaginous parts of various animals, chicken-foot soup, crustaceans, insects, etc. Later, when I studied biochemistry, I realized that each part of an organism has a characteristic chemistry and special nutritional value. I knew of Weston Price's research on traditional diets, and his argument that the degenerative “diseases of civilization” were produced by the simplified diets that are characteristic of the highly industrialized societies." -Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20210620_213153.jpg
    20210620_213153.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_114627.jpg
    20210925_114627.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_114652.jpg
    20210925_114652.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_114715.jpg
    20210925_114715.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_114744.jpg
    20210925_114744.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_114836.jpg
    20210925_114836.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_115741.jpg
    20210925_115741.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
PESTO SHRIMP

I just posted my "Peatier" PESTO recipe on my "Sweets, Sauces & Such" thread. I like to fresh make the pesto, or make the pesto sauce in advance and bring to room temperature, to use as dipping sauce for steamed and chilled shrimp, or for grilled shrimp. For the grilled shrimp I marinate the shrimp for several house in a little olive oil, chopped garlic and salt, before skewering and grilling and dipping in this sauce. I have gotten so many rave reviews making this, so many times, for parties. This pesto is much lighter than the store bought. The parsley, macadamias and refined liquid coconut oil makes the difference! The recipe is on page 4 of my thread liked below....

Attachments

• 20201127_181422.jpg
    20201127_181422.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 8