EASY "PEATY" PROTEINS - Recipes with photos & Step By Step Instructions

OP
Rinse & rePeat
These are sockeye. King runs are done. Coho is aug and sept.
Is King your favorite? I am not a salmon lover, but I know there are times I have been impressed with it. I feel most of the salmon I have eaten over the years has had a reader color and stronger flavor.

akgrrrl

Is King your favorite? I am not a salmon lover, but I know there are times I have been impressed with it. I feel most of the salmon I have eaten over the years has had a reader color and stronger flavor.
Each type are different and better for different things. King is more fatty. Coho is the workhorse. The strong flavors of chum and silvers I do not enjoy. Lots of ppl suck down oysters, I cannot do slimey. No okra for me!
This flesh will cook up moist in big flakes, good for quiche or a shepards pie bake. My fave is a egg and milk coating in bitesize chunks, dredged in Einkorn and saute pan fried quick. Sweet n hot dipping sauce!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Each type are different and better for different things. King is more fatty. Coho is the workhorse. The strong flavors of chum and silvers I do not enjoy. Lots of ppl suck down oysters, I cannot do slimey. No okra for me!
This flesh will cook up moist in big flakes, good for quiche or a shepards pie bake. My fave is a egg and milk coating in bitesize chunks, dredged in Einkorn and saute pan fried quick. Sweet n hot dipping sauce!
Ohhhh a quiche sounds really good, with some fresh dill, lemon zest and some blops of cream cheese! I miss liking smoked salmon! Maybe do my Bay Shrimp Egg Scramble recipe with some leftover salmon. That sounds REALLY good!

akgrrrl

Ohhhh a quiche sounds really good, with some fresh dill, lemon zest and some blops of cream cheese! I miss liking smoked salmon! Maybe do my Bay Shrimp Egg Scramble recipe with some leftover salmon. That sounds REALLY good!
I stopped smoking salmon somehow, just got out of it, so rich! But silvers are firm and really hold up for it. I do like "squaw candy" which is brined in salt and brown sugar then dried into jerky like consistency.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I had an oven salmon jerky ecipe I always wanted to try, and never did, rubbed in brown sugar and dried in salt in the oven. Girl you are living the life! You have inspired me to prompt a move from California, and one of 4 or us are reluctant, but it seems to be a plan in the near future! ?

Regina

Not me personally. I gave my license and a proxy form to someone who putts out by small boat to the mouth of the river and nets them all at once.This is the only species of salmon that always comes to spawn up a river with a lake behind it. So as they hug the coast as a group on their ocean journey, they smell their river, and thrash around at the mouth making the huge change between ocean salt and fresh glacier river water. They have been 5 years in cold deep water oceans. Most amazing, clean fresh food ever! Heres the river a mile from my house as it winds to the coast. So blue!
So so cool. And those salmon filets are beautiful.

akgrrrl

So so cool. And those salmon filets are beautiful.
Thankyou. I realize the pic makes you see it thru the lense of a baggie, but it is bright! No wonder I never liked salmon before. Paying premium prices for pale, mushy, bland and smelly fish no more. By winter on a brisk day, one filet will make a large pot of chowder (milk, chicken bone broth, onion, garlic, potatoes, thickened with masa)

akgrrrl

I had an oven salmon jerky ecipe I always wanted to try, and never did, rubbed in brown sugar and dried in salt in the oven. Girl you are living the life! You have inspired me to prompt a move from California, and one of 4 or us are reluctant, but it seems to be a plan in the near future! ?
Right now, only Alaska residents are allowed up the highway, and the regular distribution truckers. Canadian Mounties dont mess about.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Right now, only Alaska residents are allowed up the highway, and the regular distribution truckers. Canadian Mounties dont mess about.

I am not moving to Alaska, but maybe Washington to start, not for another year though.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You moving from California to Alaska is such huge contrast, that it has made me think maybe I shouldn't be so "comfortable" and be a little more daring too! Did you have family out there when you made your move?

akgrrrl

You moving from California to Alaska is such huge contrast, that it has made me think maybe I shouldn't be so "comfortable" and be a little more daring too! Did you have family out there when you made your move?
I moved from central Texas to Alaska to be with a man who died within 30 days. Gave up my retail business of 10 yrs in one location, all my friends and customers.I have had no living family for over 35 years.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I moved from central Texas to Alaska to be with a man who died within 30 days. Gave up my retail business of 10 yrs in one location, all my friends and customers.I have had no living family for over 35 years.
Oh that is awful luck! I thought you said you were in La Jolla for awhile too?

akgrrrl

Oh that is awful luck! I thought you said you were in La Jolla for awhile too?
Nope not me. I never had any good experiences in CA so stayed away. And no, not really bad luck that he died---marvelous opp for the most amazing growth and life ever than I could have imagined!

Regina

Thankyou. I realize the pic makes you see it thru the lense of a baggie, but it is bright! No wonder I never liked salmon before. Paying premium prices for pale, mushy, bland and smelly fish no more. By winter on a brisk day, one filet will make a large pot of chowder (milk, chicken bone broth, onion, garlic, potatoes, thickened with masa

That sounds like yummy chowder.

Dutchie

Back in the days when I was 'Peating', one of my favourite quick meals was a stirfry I'd make with shrimp. (Sorry,I don't have pics of it).

Basically, I'd cut up a red bell pepper,an onion and have frozen cubed mango. Throw it all in the pan,add shrimp and stirfry it for a couple of minutes.
For a stirfry sauce I'd use Blackstrap Molasses,water it down a bit and mix it with a lot of salt.....it makes for kind of an alternative (no-)soy sauce.

You can also substitute shrimp for Cod/whitefish or for a less Peatier option chickenbreast.

akgrrrl

Back in the days when I was 'Peating', one of my favourite quick meals was a stirfry I'd make with shrimp. (Sorry,I don't have pics of it).

Basically, I'd cut up a red bell pepper,an onion and have frozen cubed mango. Throw it all in the pan,add shrimp and stirfry it for a couple of minutes.
For a stirfry sauce I'd use Blackstrap Molasses,water it down a bit and mix it with a lot of salt.....it makes for kind of an alternative (no-)soy sauce.

You can also substitute shrimp for Cod/whitefish or for a less Peatier option chickenbreast.
Now this sounds easy, sweety, salty, Peaty. Thankyou.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

The molasses and salt being a substitute for soy sounds like a great idea! I use coconute Aminos for a soy substitute, but is watery. I am gonna try your idea! Thanks Dutchie!