EASY "PEATY" PROTEINS - Recipes with photos & Step By Step Instructions

Old Irenaeus

My recipe needs no frying and they turn out so crispy. After boiling them, I drizzle them with a little coconut oil and broil them. Use that tallow to make some killer French fries instead. I posted my French fry recipe on page 3 of this thread.

awesome. I will check out that fry recipe.

Regina

Centsmom posted this today on McDonald's French fries. Julia Child enjoyed them when they made them with beef tallow and didn't when they changed the oil.

View: https://youtu.be/DF31qCrclC0

Love it!

And little known factiod is she and her husband were former spooks:

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Love it!

And little known factiod is and her husband were former spooks:

This is interesting too....

"But before she churned out top recipes on camera, she made a career as an intelligence officer working under the agency that preceded the CIA. In fact, her first big recipe was a shark repellant that she concocted while working for the intelligence agency."

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, would you happen to have a good meatloaf recipe you wouldn’t mind sharing? My mum passed away recently and I don’t know her exact recipe but want to make meatloaf for my dad. For a Peaty version, do you think potato could serve as a binder in place of bread? My family makes a French Canadian meat pie called tourtière that uses potato as a binder. Or maybe even plantains?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, would you happen to have a good meatloaf recipe you wouldn’t mind sharing? My mum passed away recently and I don’t know her exact recipe but want to make meatloaf for my dad. For a Peaty version, do you think potato could serve as a binder in place of bread? My family makes a French Canadian meat pie called tourtière that uses potato as a binder. Or maybe even plantains?
I'm sorry about your mom Jennifer. Pay no mind to my hand written notes, but here is the basic recipe (attached pic) I have been making for 25 years. Sometimes I will put a small can of drained crushed pineapple in the topping. To make it "Peaty" I use oats or a tablespoon of gelatin or I have used crushed pork rinds, and they all turn out good. Put a about a half teasoon of baking soda in per pound of meat, to keep it from bunching up. I use a wire potato masher to incorporate everything as to not overwork the meat. You really can't mess it up, so sometimes I will throw a big handful of shredded rainbow carrots in it to sweeaten it up and stretch the meat a bit. I have even stuffed my meatloaf with hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks and green onion, and served it with marinara. Let me know how yours turns out. I am so sorry again about your mom. What a sweet daughter you are to make special food for your father. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Attachments

• 20210309_195357.jpg
    20210309_195357.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210109_163758.jpg
    20210109_163758.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210107_170524.jpg
    20210107_170524.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201112_191822.jpg
    20201112_191822.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210517_185053.jpg
    20210517_185053.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220228_191112.jpg
    20220228_191112.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 34

Jennifer

Thank you so much, @Rinse & rePeat. I appreciate the kind words and you taking the time to post your recipes. I make meatballs using gelatin in place of breadcrumbs, but didn’t realize I could do the same with meatloaf and it would hold together and not dry out. I started adding gelatin to my dad’s meals thinking it might help prevent the heartburn he frequently experienced and it worked so this is perfect! Thank you!!!

Kray

OYSTER STEW

1. Gather ingredients. Chop about a cup of sweet Maui onion.

2. Heat pot and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of butter, then add chopped onion and a teaspoon of Maldon or a half teaspoon of regular salt. Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes.

3. Add 1 tablespoon of flour (you can pass on this step, but your soup won't be as thick.) Cook for 1 minute more.

4. Add chopped garlic (1 large clove or two smaller ones) and cook 1 minute more.

5. Add in milk and smooth out lumps with a wire whisk.

6. Drain all the liquid from the oysters and cut them in smaller pieces with kitchen scizzors.

7. Add the chopped oysters to the soup, along with 2 tablespoons butter and about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh Italian parsley and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.

This soup takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish. I make it two to three times a month. I have made it with fresh oysters, which gives a stronger ocean flavor. The canned oysters are mild and better for the squeamish. It makes 3 small bowls or two larger ones. This is good all by itself, but I love it with Tabasco Habanero! I have swapped out the oysters for canned clams to make a clam chowder, adding in fresh corn and lemon zest. I adapted my versions from the recipe below, so find your own variation and make it your own!

"A deficiency of copper causes our tissues to retain an excess of iron, so foods such as shrimp and oysters which contain abundant copper should be used regularly."-Ray Peat
@Rinse & rePeat
Looking at your Oyster Stew recipe! I want to make a batch for 6 servings. Looks like I would double the recipe. What is your favorite brand of canned oyster, and how many would I want to use if doubling recipe? I love the clam-switch idea, too. Both seem a great way to introduce these foods to the squeamish. My husband's mom used to serve fish, telling the kids it was chicken. If they could believe that, wonder what I could tell mine? ?

I really appreciate your Peat quotes in your postings, especially on recipe ideas. Thanks for all your time and encouraging ideas- I am actually motivated more to be in the kitchen and cook since I came upon your recipes, and have shared them with my other family.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat
Looking at your Oyster Stew recipe! I want to make a batch for 6 servings. Looks like I would double the recipe. What is your favorite brand of canned oyster, and how many would I want to use if doubling recipe? I love the clam-switch idea, too. Both seem a great way to introduce these foods to the squeamish. My husband's mom used to serve fish, telling the kids it was chicken. If they could believe that, wonder what I could tell mine? ?

I really appreciate your Peat quotes in your postings, especially on recipe ideas. Thanks for all your time and encouraging ideas- I am actually motivated more to be in the kitchen and cook since I came upon your recipes, and have shared them with my other family.
That makes me extremely happy to hear! The only reason I joined last year was to be helpful and inspire people to do better. I find the Ray Peat diet to be the easiest and most versatile way to eat. I have so many more things to cook up and post, but took a break, but now maybe I need to get busy again with the new recipes!

As far as the oyster stew goes, you could double the oysters. I use Prince Edwards canned oysters packed in WATER. If you are trying to be sly and sneak them in with your family cut the oysters up fine, using kitchen scissors, right in the can before adding and maybe add a can of minced clams instead of the extra oysters. Throw in some fresh corn off the cob and call it clam chowder! There are a couple dozen oysters in one can of oysters, and with RP only recommending 3 or 4 you don’t really need the other can of oysters. This sounds so good that I think I will make a batch myself with the clams and corn. Now you are inspiring me! I will post my “Kray” chowder here, and will be anxious to hear how yours turns out!

Kray

That makes me extremely happy to hear! The only reason I joined last year was to be helpful and inspire people to do better. I find the Ray Peat diet to be the easiest and most versatile way to eat. I have so many more things to cook up and post, but took a break, but now maybe I need to get busy again with the new recipes!

As far as the oyster stew goes, you could double the oysters. I use Prince Edwards canned oysters packed in WATER. If you are trying to be sly and sneak them in with your family cut the oysters up fine, using kitchen scissors, right in the can before adding and maybe add a can of minced clams instead of the extra oysters. Throw in some fresh corn off the cob and call it clam chowder! There are a couple dozen oysters in one can of oysters, and with RP only recommending 3 or 4 you don’t really need the other can of oysters. This sounds so good that I think I will make a batch myself with the clams and corn. Now you are inspiring me! I will post my “Kray” chowder here, and will be anxious to hear how yours turns out!
Well, thank you for joining for our sake!

Great tips- the options are very stew-ish-- very forgiving and flexible. Besides, how can you go wrong with lots of milk and all that butter? LOL.
Really liking it on this rainy day, and we have enough here I will add what I need to my shopping list for next week.
Keep you posted!

?

Kray

Yeah, it's clam chowder!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Alas, they're past the fooling stage- they will either eat or go hungry! But I don't think they'll be disappointed. ?
I especially love it with a little Tabasco habanero, even a little Worcestershire on it is good too!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
They sure don't make 'em like they used to....either french fries, or chefs!

I knew McDonalds French fries weren’t the same when they tasted bad when they got cold.

“After having a heart attack in 1966, Sokolof began lobbying against cholesterol and fat in fast food, specifically targeting McDonald's. He eventually got the company's attention, leading the chain to stop cooking its fries in beef tallow in 1990.”

Kray

I especially love it with a little Tabasco habanero, even a little Worcestershire on it is good too!
Nice- will remember that! The worster sauce reminds me of my mom's great clam dip recipe- not the most Peaty but it sure was good- made with worster sauce, lemon juice, clams/juice, cream cheese, and lot of Ruffles potato chips. Yum yum yum.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals