Easy No Knead Bread Recipe

daIllu

Donuts made from sourdoug could be interesting, fried in coconut oil offcourse and with lots of sugar.

D

Derek

I can't eat anything made with yeast - it gives me massive digestive upset. Even when I made my own bread with yeast and let it ferment for a longer timeframe. However, homemade sourdough IS much easier to digest and the process of souring the dough causes most of the gluten to be destroyed (and without using yeast). I made my sourdough with the following processes (PDF should be attached - I made the instructions for a friend, in case it sounds weird. They were adapted from my method for making the starter and Phedre's baking method, from Peatarian). I didn't make bread for a few weeks and forgot to feed my starter and it died, sadly. So I'm currently making a new one. My mom said it was the best bread she's ever had, but it does come out dense. I think if I get a dutch oven it will work better. I only eat breads sparingly, for digestive reasons, but I seemed to digest my own sourdough without trouble.

Sourdough starter still contains yeast, actually quite a lot of it. It's similar to Kefir, usually 50/50 mix of yeast & bacteria.

You could try the bread recipe SQu posted but try using 1tbsp raw honey instead of 1/4 tsp yeast.

L

lollipop

I know it is an old thread, but seeking baking advice from @SQu and @tara.

When you use this recipe from SQu can sourdough starter be used instead of the yeast? If so would you guys know how much?

Also when you bake it in the covered dish, do you remove the lid at a certain point and finish baking uncovered? Do you bake the whole time at 500 degrees Fahrenheit?

Thank you dearly for your help! I want to try :):

Catcream

I know it is an old thread, but seeking baking advice from @SQu and @tara.

When you use this recipe from SQu can sourdough starter be used instead of the yeast? If so would you guys know how much?

Also when you bake it in the covered dish, do you remove the lid at a certain point and finish baking uncovered? Do you bake the whole time at 500 degrees Fahrenheit?

Thank you dearly for your help! I want to try :)

Catcream

Hi Lisa ... I make a similar loaf. I use 300grams of sourdough starter , 1 kilo of flour , 2 tsps salt and 600 g water . Mix it all up without the salt, cover leaver overnight, then add the salt , divide into two loaves , shape into a loose round and let it do its thing again .
I lost my lid for the cast iron pan so don't use it ( obviously ) put it in the oven at 250 Celsius then turn down to 220 after ten minutes.

L

lollipop

Hi Lisa ... I make a similar loaf. I use 300grams of sourdough starter , 1 kilo of flour , 2 tsps salt and 600 g water . Mix it all up without the salt, cover leaver overnight, then add the salt , divide into two loaves , shape into a loose round and let it do its thing again .
I lost my lid for the cast iron pan so don't use it ( obviously ) put it in the oven at 250 Celsius then turn down to 220 after ten minutes.
Thank you @Catcream :):

tara

I haven't used sourdough. I have baked loaves without cast iron and I lost my lid so I baked without that too. And I've made bread rolls - easy to freeze and pull out a couple as I needed them.
Dodgy old oven so not sure how precise it is, but set to ~225C.
Still not sure whether the wheat is doing me good or not.
By the way, I tried the eggshell, 1 tsp to 3 cups flour. Umm, no. Gritty.
I tried this too. The egg shell I got was a bit gritty too. Tolerable, but not quite as nice. Really wish I could get fine ground clean eggshells.

seeyeff

I found a similar recipe on youtube, and have been baking this bread this way regularly now.

Also, I think this is the originally referenced recipe which was published in the NY Times in 2006: No-Knead Bread Recipe

I actually searched for a simple method like this independently because it seemed to me that there just had to be a simple, easy way to bake bread — that it cannot be as difficult and complicated as most people seem to make it. How hard could it really be to bake bread if illiterate peasants could do it with iron age technology thousands of years ago?

Well, turns out it is easy. This "no knead" method is probably the original bread baking method, except they'd have used a starter to "harvest" wild yeast from the air. This method is basically the minimal amount of steps required to make a leavened bread.

And for some strange reason it seems that this easier, simpler method was almost completely "forgotten" for generations until 2006 when it was "rediscovered" and re-popularized by that NY Times recipe by that baker, Jim Lahey. It's crazy that this must have been the original method which has probably been in use at least somewhere on the planet for thousands of years but there's an entire generation of people who didn't even know it was possible.

---

Another Peat benefit to baking your own bread is that you can buy unenriched flour that does not have added iron. Most whole wheat flours are not enriched, but unfortunately it's somewhat difficult to find unenriched white flour.

Unenriched flour will say 2% iron per cup, whereas enriched flour has up to 10%, which is apparently the % Daily Value of 18 mg. So I guess you can avoid about 1.5 mgs of iron per cup, which is about 4.5 mg of iron per loaf.

Here's the brand of unenriched flour I've been buying which is unfortunately a bit expensive. I found only one other brand that even sells unenriched white flour (Hodgson Mill), but this one is a better deal.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-all-purpose-unbleached-white-flour.html

---

Yes, that helps get a browner crust. I follow that youtube guy's method and bake it with the lid on for about 30 mins and then with the lid off for an additional 5-10 mins, and judge it to be done by how brown the crust looks.

And yes, I keep the oven at the same temperature the whole time.

OP
SQu

SQu

You can make it into rolls by using a few little ovenproof bowls. or put it in a loaf tin, uncovered, or covered, and you can even let it do its whole second and final rising thing in that loaf tin if greased, saves a bit of cleaning up of the tray or board you would normally use. (a friend did all these experiments successfully). it comes out very different though, and I would say perfectly acceptable but not quite as nice. I think it's mostly the texture that changes to a 'cakey' one and even the taste is a little different. So it's very adaptable and doesn't mind a range of different approaches. i haven't tried with sourdough but given the long fermentation stage it seems to me it would suit the method well, certainly worth a try. I've even speculated whether it isn't already working somewhat on the sourdough principle in that the amount of yeast is so tiny, the fermentation period so long, perhaps the yeast you put in isn't the only one working on the dough by the end. Just guessing, I'm no expert. On flour I've used the expensive stone ground one and to be honest the white supermarket flour gives a nicer result, the stone ground gets that brown bread taste, some people might prefer that i suppose. But luckily so far supermarket flour here does not have added iron so that's not an issue.

Last edited:

denise

For years I've been making something very similar but even better (I think), which is the master recipe from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. The only difference is that they use a lot more yeast to make it rise faster, but you can very easily scale it back to 1/2 tsp or so and just let it rise longer. The great beauty of this dough is that you can chuck it into the fridge and bake it any time you like over the next 2 weeks (which means you don't have to do the prep work as often--it makes a large batch). The longer you wait to bake it, the better, in my opinion, as the taste gets more complex. It never reaches a strong sourdough flavor in those two weeks (which is good, because I generally don't care for it), but it's very flavorful. I like to keep it in the fridge for at least a week before I use it.

For those with questions about the cast iron pot: The lid is not necessary for the baking itself but only for the crust. The lid traps moisture and creates a chewy, heavenly crust that you can't get in a dry oven. The method I usually use is to bake the loaf on a pizza stone but to add a cup of boiling water to a roasting pan on the lowest rack to generate steam for the first 15 minutes or so.

I pretty much can't bear to eat any bread other than this.

Now that summer is approaching in the northern hemisphere, I'll mention that you can also bake bread in a slow cooker. It's not quite as perfect this way, but it beats having the oven on at 450 for over an hour.

ETA: if you really get into making this stuff, a Danish dough whisk is wonderful! You'll wonder how you ever got on without it.

L

lollipop

For anyone that is interested, I found this flour that is organic, from Italy finely milled and more importantly NO IRON :):

See images:

IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG

OP
SQu

SQu

For years I've been making something very similar but even better (I think
Looks good, I'm going to try this if I can find a big enough container. I have a gas oven though so don't think I should use paper!

seeyeff

For anyone that is interested, I found this flour that is organic, from Italy finely milled and more importantly NO IRON :)

@lisaferraro .... 00 flour is for pasta making . Possibly not the most suitable for bread

Thank you @Catcream :) I have not started yet, so good to know!

I have used that exact flour (and this same no-knead method) to make some pizza dough — that's what the packaging says "type 00" flour is ideal for — and I was pleased with the results. I read that the "00" designation refers to a finer grind but unless you're a connoisseur it's basically the same as standard all purpose white flour.

I would have kept using that flour except I wanted to something cheaper which can be bought in greater volume, which lead me to buying to the Bob's Red Mill flour I mentioned earlier.

L

lollipop

Hi everyone! @SQu @seeyeff @Catcream @tara wanted to update about my first Bread ever :): I tried the difficult route - lol and reading many blogs who said what I was attempting would not work. @seeyeff inspired me when said that "typo 00" was like all purpose. Anyway, I recorded my process. Found the NYT no kneed recipe adapted to using starter. See links below.

My loaf was YUMMY though not super height. I might increase the final rise from 2 hours to 3 or 4 hours.

My First Sourdough Loaf ❤️

**Good info on this site for the starter.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-steps-making-incredible-sourdough-starter-scratch/

I modified it in these ways:

• used Italian iron free refined wheat flour called "Typo OO" - brand name was Delallo.
  • First and second day fed every 24 hours. Third, fourth, and fifth day every 12 hours
  • Used 1/4 cup flour - 3 tablespoons water on day 1 and day 2. Used 1/4 cup flour and 2 1/2 tablespoons water on day 3. Used 1/4 cup flour and 1 tablespoon water on day 4 and day 5.
  • Did not remove any of the starter like the blog recommends.

**Used this recipe to bake:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...oin_cooking_newsletter=true&register=facebook

I modified it in these ways:

-used Italian iron free refined wheat flour called "Typo OO" - brand name was Delallo.

-used volume measurements NOT weight (grams)

-used 1/2 cup starter

-used slightly more than 1 cup water - went slowly so dough was not overly wet.

-used parchment paper for final rise in the actual baking dish - then put in bowl while preheating the dish.

-Used ceramic dish to bake - covered with aluminum foil for first 30min baking - then removed for 20 min more uncovered.

-Preheated oven to 500 degrees, then put baking dish in for 30 min preheat - removed put parchment with loaf in dish and cooked at 450 degrees the rest of the time.

IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG

Catcream

Nice one, looking good.
00 is expensive . Can you get organic stoneground in the states ?
Once your starter is well established, you should only need to feed it once or twice before using and you can leave it in the fridge for weeks without feeding or using it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals