E471 Emulsifier Or Glycerids- Harmless Or Harmful?

freal

Someone made me realize even a little bit of lecithin is no good, but Ive been scratching my head about this other emulsifier and cant find an answer to this question?

Shesjay

Why is a little bit of lecithin no good? I've been avoiding most (and all of my favourite) chocolates because of the soy lecithin, but was hoping I'd at least be able to eat any kind of non-vege oil chocolate in social situations. Not a good plan?

OP
F

freal

Shesjay said:
Why is a little bit of lecithin no good? I've been avoiding most (and all of my favourite) chocolates because of the soy lecithin, but was hoping I'd at least be able to eat any kind of non-vege oil chocolate in social situations. Not a good plan?

Look at the "soy lecithin free chocolate" topic bellow this topic.

Peat Tong

Looking at Halloween candy, I was wondering if Lecithin is better than these synthetic emulsifiers, like PRGR Polyglycerol polyricinoleate, E476.

walker_in_aus

I was doing the same, just avoiding soy lecithin, but then I was reading about the potential for lecithins to "emulsify" your GI tract mucous... Having ongoing IBS problems no matter what I've tried, this makes sense. You can eat no starch or pufa, and avoid fermentable fibre, and take charcoal and try cyproheptadine, but if you regularly eat lecithins and they put holes in your gut mucous that leave your intestines or stomach walls bare, there will be irritation.