Dry Mouth After Mouth Taping

Velve921

So I’ve tried sleeping with my mouth taped the last 2 nights. Great results!

However, I’ve been waking up with a dry mouth. Anyone else experience this after sleeping with their mouth taped shut?

OP
Velve921

Velve921

like what?

couple things:

1. much easier to fall asleep
2. If I wake up much easier to fall back asleep.
3. Over the 24 hour cycle my anxiety has gone down immensely. As my dad passed away this last year you could prolly imagine there’s a lot I’ve been learning how to handle and become sensitive at times. With mouth taping at night, I walk around during the day with a new level of resilience.

mouth taping is SO important. Mouth breathing is the worst thing you can do for your health, and many people mouth breathe during sleep especially REM and early morning sleep.

Hgreen56

mouth taping is SO important. Mouth breathing is the worst thing you can do for your health, and many people mouth breathe during sleep especially REM and early morning sleep.
How do you know if you sleep with youre mouth open? :think:
I don't have these problems that Velve describes.
Doesn't became annoying pretty quickly @Velve921?

Last edited:

redsun

So I’ve tried sleeping with my mouth taped the last 2 nights. Great results!

However, I’ve been waking up with a dry mouth. Anyone else experience this after sleeping with their mouth taped shut?

You can get dry mouth if you sleep with your mouth open because you lose moisture. You already know that I am sure. But if you are forcing the mouth shut overnight you can build up CO2 to the point where your body tries to trigger more ventilation via the sympathetic nervous system and this causes dry mouth because your parasympathetic system, which deals with salivary secretions and digestion, is not dominant because the SNS is triggered. You ever been in a bad situation, like say you were super ancious or nervous, and your mouth gets all dry? Same thing going on here, SNS is activating.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

You can get dry mouth if you sleep with your mouth open because you lose moisture. You already know that I am sure. But if you are forcing the mouth shut overnight you can build up CO2 to the point where your body tries to trigger more ventilation via the sympathetic nervous system and this causes dry mouth because your parasympathetic system, which deals with salivary secretions and digestion, is not dominant because the SNS is triggered. You ever been in a bad situation, like say you were super ancious or nervous, and your mouth gets all dry? Same thing going on here, SNS is activating.

Interesting. So let me ask you this... I sleep better and feel way les me anxious during the day since mouth taping. So do you think this is a temporary adaptive mechanism? The dry mouth?

redsun

Interesting. So let me ask you this... I sleep better and feel way les me anxious during the day since mouth taping. So do you think this is a temporary adaptive mechanism? The dry mouth?

Sympathetic nervous system comes in to increase ventilation rate if CO2 builds up too much. Norepinephrine and epinephrine are anti-serotonin mainly but also anti-histamine. Anything that is anti-serotonin tends to help anxiety and if histamine is particularly high it would also help (as too much histamine is especially excitatory).

Only other explanation I can think of is you breathed in through your nostrils way too hard to compensate for lack of oxygen and somehow this strong air current coming in still dehydrated your mouth. Its that or the adrenal hormones lowering histamine/acetylcholine effects making your body severely reduce or stop salivary secretion.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Sympathetic nervous system comes in to increase ventilation rate if CO2 builds up too much. Norepinephrine and epinephrine are anti-serotonin mainly but also anti-histamine. Anything that is anti-serotonin tends to help anxiety and if histamine is particularly high it would also help (as too much histamine is especially excitatory).

Only other explanation I can think of is you breathed in through your nostrils way too hard to compensate for lack of oxygen and somehow this strong air current coming in still dehydrated your mouth. Its that or the adrenal hormones lowering histamine/acetylcholine effects making your body severely reduce or stop salivary secretion.

got it. Thanks for the thoughts and taking the time.

Hgreen56

I caught myself yesterday evening that i was breathing with my mouth open.
i notice when i closed my mouth en breath to my nose, its heavy'r breathing, also the sounds from oxygen that going through my nose was
irritating. so probably i always sleep with my mouth open.
Still i don't have the issues that's Velve921 describes.
Also i don't get a dry mouth. After waking up i can also fast couple hours without drinking any liquids without dehydration.
i think its just a placebo you got and thats why you feel better next morning.

Quelsatron

I often wake up with a dry-feeling mouth. I tried taping my mouth but it seems it's not related because it happened even after I took a few hours nap with tape on. It's not super dry though, probably is just due to thirst, and maybe something to do with laying down (i wake up with edema beneath my eyes)