Dry Hair

fradon

low fat absorption...too much fiber, too much calcium, too much acidic like lemons that block fat absorption...perhaps even low protein diety because you need protein to trigger stomach acid and then bile to absorb fat.

blocked sebum gland

OP
D

dreamcatcher

low fat absorption...too much fiber, too much calcium, too much acidic like lemons that block fat absorption...perhaps even low protein diety because you need protein to trigger stomach acid and then bile to absorb fat.

blocked sebum gland
Thank you @fradon
It's very interesting. I wonder what causes low fat absorption? I eat quite a bit of saturated ones.
In regards to the fiber, I need them to satisfy my appetite as I have a physically exhausting job and fruits for carbs is not enough for me. So I eat potatoes, rice and occasional sourdough rye bread too.
According to hair mineral analysis my hair has too much calcium because I have low calcium levels elsewhere (Ray Peat thinks).
I don't eat lemons or too acidic things and do eat a high protein diet.

fradon

Thank you @fradon
It's very interesting. I wonder what causes low fat absorption? I eat quite a bit of saturated ones.
In regards to the fiber, I need them to satisfy my appetite as I have a physically exhausting job and fruits for carbs is not enough for me. So I eat potatoes, rice and occasional sourdough rye bread too.
According to hair mineral analysis my hair has too much calcium because I have low calcium levels elsewhere (Ray Peat thinks).
I don't eat lemons or too acidic things and do eat a high protein diet.

high hair calcium could be stress. but in the gut calcium binds with fat and it keeps it from being absorbed and then shuttles it to the colon. high saturate could mean you might needs some PUFA yes i know they are horrible but you need a tiny bit. from what i remember from DR SEARS BOOK is the human cell is composed of 45% sat 45% monosat and 10 % polyunsaturated. AVOID OILS IF POSSIBLE, you might try something like KERRY GOLD BUTTER which is grassfed and has about 10% poly unsaturated and high omega 3, or even eating CHICKEN WITH THE SKIN on which would satisfy the NEED FOR PUFA. EGGS also a good source and nuts like PECANS AND WALNUTS which have natural vitamin E

OP
D

dreamcatcher

I've never heard about the high fat and calcium connection. Where did you get that information from?
I occasionally use Kerry gold butter when Ste Isigny is not available and eat a little chicken skin time to time. I eat eggs almost daily.
How much fat do you eat on a daily basis? Thank you.

fradon

I've never heard about the high fat and calcium connection. Where did you get that information from?
I occasionally use Kerry gold butter when Ste Isigny is not available and eat a little chicken skin time to time. I eat eggs almost daily.
How much fat do you eat on a daily basis? Thank you.

i got this info from the MTHFR website concerning oxalates...but calcium can bind to a lot of stuff and prevent mineral absorption and fat absorption if the fat is not being absorbed properly.

here is the quote:

Normally our body will not absorb all calcium from out diet. The undigested calcium is needed to bind with the oxalates in the gut which helps us to rid our body of this toxic molecule...Since the fats are floating down the small intestine without being absorbed, they begin to bind with all the calcium....Well when the fat isn’t digested then the calcium gets attached to the fats

Oxalates and MTHFR: Understanding the Gut-Kidney Axis

fradon

@fradon you sound like someone from a medical background :blush:

no just have plenty of health issues that i've had to resolve on my own. most medical people don't seem to know much about how food affects the body their answer seems to be take a pill.

fradon

I meant you sound like Ray Peat himself :blush::smile:

Ray Peat has so much great info but really its not the whole story. Just like any other diet out there like the Keto diet or the atkins it can help some people and hurt others. Same with the Ray Peat there are a lot of people who benefit from it on this forum but there seems to be quite a few that have negative reactions because they are not healthy to begin with.

to make anything work for you, you have to be healthy. a healthy person could eat crap and still be fine but an unhealthy person will suffer and that goes from all types of diets and nutrition.

fradon

one more thing you might try foods that are high in b3 (niacin) as that helps absorb fat. I was having fat absorption problems for a bout two weeks dry skin and dry hair but had some TUNA SALAD SANDWHICH yesterday and woke up with oily skin and hair this morning. I remember that from the KETO diet where they eat a lot of fat and that creates and B3 deficiency so people have fat absorption problems. though they don't promote TRYPTOPHAN on this forum because of the SEROTONIN, TRYPTOPHAN is invovled in the creatION of NAD (B3) in the body.

YOU CAN READ THE SECTION ABOUT NAD AND B3

Since tryptophan is the only method we have for making B3, we can say that tryptophan is very, very important for NAD production.
The Tryptophan Steal – The Hidden Reason Stress Makes You Depressed

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamcatcher

@fradon thank you very much for your reply, I've read some of your comments on other threads as well, very valuable information. You seem to do a very thorough research. I'm sorry that you had many health issues, hope you're feeling better?
I second your opinion about doctors being useless. It's hard to get properly diagnosed here in the UK through the NHS.
Thank you for the links, the article about oxalates and methylation is very interesting and well written. It makes me question whether the source of my problems is connected to it. I used to be a vegetarian for over 20 years and after I reintroduced meat 8 years ago, my hair started to thin, I lost 60% of my eyebrows and their colour substantially faded and developed alopecia (secondary to iron deficiency according to doctors-which I don't agree with). I became interested in Ray Peat's work in 2013 but since then my hair further thinned ( from mid back down) and eyebrows didn't improve much. I do feel better though since then, compared to only being able to walk 20 mins a day without spending the rest of my day laying in bed a few years ago. My facial skin and hands are still yellowish though and I have arthritis in two of my fingers. I do take niacinamide a few times per day in small amounts, eat sugar and drink coffee as well to improve liver function. My GP only said that the yellow skin was the result of carotenemia ( which I do question).
I used to follow a predominantly raw food diet so perhaps I was exposed to a lot of oxalates then..the article you shared points out to many of my health issues so it's interesting..
It's great that calcium is recommended to reduce oxalates just like Ray Peat recommends.

It's great that the tuna salad helped you with skin and hair quality. I do eat tuna about once per week but it doesn't affect me the same way as you. I even tried incorporating some nuts and oily fish for a couple of months some time ago which did soften my hair but then I started to feel more achy due to increased inflammation so I stopped eating those not very Ray Peat friendly foods.

fradon

@fradon thank you very much for your reply, I've read some of your comments on other threads as well, very valuable information. You seem to do a very thorough research. I'm sorry that you had many health issues, hope you're feeling better?
I second your opinion about doctors being useless. It's hard to get properly diagnosed here in the UK through the NHS.
Thank you for the links, the article about oxalates and methylation is very interesting and well written. It makes me question whether the source of my problems is connected to it. I used to be a vegetarian for over 20 years and after I reintroduced meat 8 years ago, my hair started to thin, I lost 60% of my eyebrows and their colour substantially faded and developed alopecia (secondary to iron deficiency according to doctors-which I don't agree with). I became interested in Ray Peat's work in 2013 but since then my hair further thinned ( from mid back down) and eyebrows didn't improve much. I do feel better though since then, compared to only being able to walk 20 mins a day without spending the rest of my day laying in bed a few years ago. My facial skin and hands are still yellowish though and I have arthritis in two of my fingers. I do take niacinamide a few times per day in small amounts, eat sugar and drink coffee as well to improve liver function. My GP only said that the yellow skin was the result of carotenemia ( which I do question).
I used to follow a predominantly raw food diet so perhaps I was exposed to a lot of oxalates then..the article you shared points out to many of my health issues so it's interesting..
It's great that calcium is recommended to reduce oxalates just like Ray Peat recommends.

It's great that the tuna salad helped you with skin and hair quality. I do eat tuna about once per week but it doesn't affect me the same way as you. I even tried incorporating some nuts and oily fish for a couple of months some time ago which did soften my hair but then I started to feel more achy due to increased inflammation so I stopped eating those not very Ray Peat friendly foods.

Glad the info can help you. there is a lot of information out there and not everything works for everybody as no one's body chemistry is the same. You just have to try and see what works for you. the thinning of hair can be hormone related or A LACK OF B VITAMINS. I've heard that the raw food diet can cause stomach acid which could be related to all your symptoms. since you need high acidity to dissolve protein and to absorb zinc, iron, copper, and b vitamins ALL OF WHICH deal with healthy hair and skin. So low stomach acid means you can't digest protein well and this may be an issue you've had your whole life which is why you became vegetarian in the first place...either a lack of stomach acid or low pancreatic enzymes.

also if you have metabolic issues like prediabetes or insulin resistance it can cause the ovaries in women to start producing androgens and testosterone which raises chance of alopecia (thinning of hair falling out.) or it can also produce facial, neck and chest hair and also lead to fibromas. In men it does the oppostie it lowers Testosterone and makes men grow boobs.

here are some more links the LIVE TO 101 PODCAST IS VERY GOOD THEY HAVE TON OF TOPICS
https://myersdetox.com/transcript-219-underlying-causes-hair-loss-amy-gibson/

ABOUT VEGETARIANISM
Dear Vince,

LOW STOMACH ACID
Hypochlorhydria - Do You Have an Underactive Gut? | Dr. James L. Wilson's AdrenalFatigue.org

milk

Taurine and cyproheptadine, both orally and topically, make my hair look very good.

Coconut oil too, orally. I don't apply it topically. Might work too.

Gluten makes my hair look horrible. It gets frizzy and oily and loses its curliness. It gives me major dandruff. Starch like potatoes and rice gives me some dandruff too, but not as much. Maybe go easy on the starch? Maybe consume orange juice and sugar instead.

Maybe sugar will sate your carb cravings.

Often when I think I'm craving bread I'm actually just craving the salt. I take a glass of OJ and a glass of milk with a good dose of salt and the craving goes away.

SOMO

+1 for low-fat causing dry hair.

Stimulating your scalp (with hot water or massage) seems to improve hair all along the growth phases.
Also avoid shampoos unless you make them yourself from natural ingredients.

Hair can be kept clean and moisturized with just 3 ingredients:
-Coconut Oil
-Baking Soda
-Vinegar

I do this natural haircare routine 1x a week and it leaves my hair moisturized (but not greasy) and clean (but not dried out):
1. Run hot bath with epsom salts
2. Apply coconut oil to scalp and hair while still in bath. Let the coconut oil absorb for at least 10 minutes while you relax in the bath.
3. Dunk head under water several times to get out majority of oil
4. Apply dry baking soda to your head, massage it in there, taking care not to sandpaper/scrape your scalp.
5. While baking soda is still in hair, rinse with vinegar.
6. Dunk head or rinse hair under showerhead.
7. Let your hair air dry. Do not towel dry. If hair is still too oily, do one more baking soda -> vinegar rinse.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Thank you so much for everyone's selfless help and for taking the time, I really appreciate it THANK YOU!!

@fradon I agree that one person's food might be another person's poison.
I have been taking B vitamins for a long time in the form of Brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast. I suppose liver or tuna are also a good source which I regularly eat.
I don't have any digestive issues in general but for some time I took Betaine HCI by Viridian to make sure I don't have low stomach acid..which I think was a mistake.
Ray Peat recommended me DHEA for hair regrowth which turns into testosterone (and estrogen). My testosterone levels were lower than normal on my last blood test result, at the same time I occasionally have unwanted hair on my face.

@milk thank you, I will try taurine again. But as far as I remember it lowers B6 levels. Plus, over 6g it contributes to weight loss..which I would like to avoid.
I don't have any issues with strarch, my issues started actually when I went on a gluten free diet for 10 years.

@SOMO thank you, I'm not sure those natural methods would work for me. My hair is very long, bottom length atm. I've heard that baking soda really damages the structure of the hair, specially on the long term. I do have a water filter in my shower and only use organic products on my hair, Calia naturals were my favourite, now use Desert Essence products.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

A few years ago when I saw a video of a girl regrowing her hair after alopecia on the Gaps diet, I decided to try it. But after a few days following it, my hair loss dramatically increased and lost more of my eyebrow hairs too. I thought at that time that somehow the increase of fats and meats contributed to the hair loss. This all makes me think that my liver function is poor ( confirmed on blood test) as well.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

I followed a low fat diet for 4 months when I was starch free as well (according to Ray Peat's recommendations) which caused an increase in energy levels but my hair thinned out after 4 months. Later on when I increased my fat intake, the fats didn't cause me issues as before i.e. eyebags because I guess my liver's health improved.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals