Dry Fasting

Collden

Anyone tried this, what has been your experience?

Many people argue this is far more intense and potentially rejuvenating than standard water fasting. To maintain hydration the body is forced to catabolise itself even more intensely and even destroy certain cells like fat cells and blood cells to liberate its water content, the degree of autophagy and subsequent cell renewal would be much enhanced with dry fasting as compared to water fasting.

Peat has written some about the potential benefits of moderate dehydration which seem consistent with this.

"When a cell shrinks under hyperosmolar conditions, its metabolism becomes catabolic, breaking down proteins and glycogen, and sometimes producing lactic acid, which results in an alkaline shift, increasing the cell's affinity for water, and causing it to return to normal size. A slight degree of hyperosmolarity increases the cell's metabolic rate.

Swelling in hypo-osmolar conditions, i.e,, with an excess of water, is anabolic, leading to cellular proliferation, and inhibiting the breakdown of protein and glycogen."

I'm curious to try but am concerned particularly about the risk of kidney stones, though it seems like at least with Ramadan-style intermittent dry fasting there's no increased risk of that.

milk_lover

@Aymen I mainly do fasting because of my religion as I fast the whole month of Ramadan and about two days per each other month. In my country where there is sun every day of the year, it's very easy to get thirsty so that's why I don't overdo it. As long as you feed yourself well before fasting and break your fast with healthy sugary food and milk, I don't see any problem with it. The better my health gets, the easier for me to take long times between meals. In some mornings I drink one can of Redbull and I only start getting hungry around 3 pm.

Aymen

@Aymen I mainly do fasting because of my religion as I fast the whole month of Ramadan and about two days per each other month. In my country where there is sun every day of the year, it's very easy to get thirsty so that's why I don't overdo it. As long as you feed yourself well before fasting and break your fast with healthy sugary food and milk, I don't see any problem with it. The better my health gets, the easier for me to take long times between meals. In some mornings I drink one can of Redbull and I only start getting hungry around 3 pm.
yes i quoted you to share your experience , i can go without food for 12-14 hours in ramadhan without having a stress response .

aquaman

Anyone tried this, what has been your experience?

Many people argue this is far more intense and potentially rejuvenating than standard water fasting. To maintain hydration the body is forced to catabolise itself even more intensely and even destroy certain cells like fat cells and blood cells to liberate its water content, the degree of autophagy and subsequent cell renewal would be much enhanced with dry fasting as compared to water fasting.

Peat has written some about the potential benefits of moderate dehydration which seem consistent with this.

"When a cell shrinks under hyperosmolar conditions, its metabolism becomes catabolic, breaking down proteins and glycogen, and sometimes producing lactic acid, which results in an alkaline shift, increasing the cell's affinity for water, and causing it to return to normal size. A slight degree of hyperosmolarity increases the cell's metabolic rate.

Swelling in hypo-osmolar conditions, i.e,, with an excess of water, is anabolic, leading to cellular proliferation, and inhibiting the breakdown of protein and glycogen."

I'm curious to try but am concerned particularly about the risk of kidney stones, though it seems like at least with Ramadan-style intermittent dry fasting there's no increased risk of that.

AFAIK, cell hyperosmolarity is unrelated to the quantity of water you take in. It’s to do with the biological processes going on in your body.

Dry fasting is probably the least Peaty thing one could do!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals