Drugs Like Losartan Increases Heart Attack Risk

bdawg

Drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers (-sartan) may actually increase heart attack risks.

Logic is simple. If you block the angiotensin receptor, plasma angiotensin will raise. Leaving you with high angiotensin levels when you quit the drug.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/circulationaha.117.026112

Nice one - i was trialling telmisartan for the GLUT4/PPAR gamma benefits but dropped it due to other concerns

wanted to get your thoughts on something separate. Any ideas why AIs dont lead to any meaningful tissue related androgenic benefits such as no body comp changes in the below study despite superior hormone status?

Effects of eight weeks of an alleged aromatase inhibiting nutritional supplement 6-OXO (androst-4-ene-3,6,17-trione) on serum hormone profiles and clinical safety markers in resistance-trained, eugonadal males

OP
E

Estradiol

Nice one - i was trialling telmisartan for the GLUT4/PPAR gamma benefits but dropped it due to other concerns

wanted to get your thoughts on something separate. Any ideas why AIs dont lead to any meaningful tissue related androgenic benefits such as no body comp changes in the below study despite superior hormone status?

Effects of eight weeks of an alleged aromatase inhibiting nutritional supplement 6-OXO (androst-4-ene-3,6,17-trione) on serum hormone profiles and clinical safety markers in resistance-trained, eugonadal males

I really have no idea.

ThinkPerceive

Technically the article doesn't claim ARBs like Losartan increase heart attacks - it says the difference there wasn't statistically meaningful. That said, as someone who takes Losartan it's a little disturbing to learn that, while yes it helps with blood pressure, it's not actually preventing death any better than taking nothing. Maybe I have a better chance of surviving Covid-19? Not in a hurry to test that one however.

The blood pressure medicines are fraught with problems like this. Yes they lower blood pressure - yay! - but some commonly prescribed meds like hydrochlorothiazide actually INCREASE the death rate.

I'll look into the ACEI's - they do show fewer heart attacks etc than the ARBs. I had started with Lisinopril but it made no difference at all.

One med I tried but despised: Amlodipine: that caused severe central sleep apnea. I would wake up gasping for air and probably it would have killed me if I hadn't switched immediately.

OP
E

Estradiol

Technically the article doesn't claim ARBs like Losartan increase heart attacks - it says the difference there wasn't statistically meaningful. That said, as someone who takes Losartan it's a little disturbing to learn that, while yes it helps with blood pressure, it's not actually preventing death any better than taking nothing. Maybe I have a better chance of surviving Covid-19? Not in a hurry to test that one however.

The blood pressure medicines are fraught with problems like this. Yes they lower blood pressure - yay! - but some commonly prescribed meds like hydrochlorothiazide actually INCREASE the death rate.

I'll look into the ACEI's - they do show fewer heart attacks etc than the ARBs. I had started with Lisinopril but it made no difference at all.

One med I tried but despised: Amlodipine: that caused severe central sleep apnea. I would wake up gasping for air and probably it would have killed me if I hadn't switched immediately.

Blocking angiotensin receptor causes plasma angiotensin levels to rise. It's enough to not use these big pharma drugs.

ThinkPerceive

Blocking angiotensin receptor causes plasma angiotensin levels to rise. It's enough to not use these big pharma drugs.

Agree, BUT. Without Losartan my bp can be over 200, and I have a family history of CVD and strokes. Nothing "Peaty" has made a difference (which seems a general response for me).

OP
E

Estradiol

Agree, BUT. Without Losartan my bp can be over 200, and I have a family history of CVD and strokes. Nothing "Peaty" has made a difference (which seems a general response for me).

Did you try blood donations?

Did you try calcium?

Taurine? Inosine?

ThinkPerceive

My BP was 14/9 and had tachycardia. It was like 1.5 years ago.

Started regular blood donations it's now 12/8 sometimes 11/7.

I'll look again for blood draw options. When I did it, it was very limited in how often I could go and also awkward to get to. Did it did a while then have up.

frannybananny

I'll look again for blood draw options. When I did it, it was very limited in how often I could go and also awkward to get to. Did it did a while then have up.
Not only the mentioned Taurine lowers my blood pressure but especially magnesium and Olive Leaf Extract is very profound.

golder

Out of curiosity, would propranolol help in your instance? Trying to work out the oros/cons of each from a cardiac perspective (also have CVD family history) Thanks! :)

P

Peatness

Anyone been on Losartan, telmisartan or similar and managed to stop? If so how was the withdrawl?

P

Peatness

The sartan drugs (including candesartan, irbesartan, losartan, telmisartan, and valsartan) are used to reduce elevated blood pressure. All are used in conjunction with hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic.

Which Nutrients Are Robbed

Taking these medicines may deplete your supply of, increase your need for, or interfere with the activity of:
  • magnesium
  • phosphorus
  • potassium
  • sodium
  • zinc
  • coenzyme Q10

P

Peatness

The ARBs deplete nutrients on their own. So far I have evidence of zinc, q10, magnesium and sodium. I suspect thiamine but I have not seen medical data to support that. They actually raise potassium and calcium.

golder

Ray has spoken favorably of Losartan in the context of covid. I'm sure he would've weighed up the nutrient depleting properties of the 'sartans before recommending it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals