Drug induced derealization

imei3489

as a dumb teen i tried weed ONCE. i have been stuck with a horrible derealization since. ive had it for 8 or so years now. ive accepted it as a part of my life a very long time ago. i was just curious if anyone else here has been cured or found anything to help. in my 8 years, NOTHING has ever made any change to my condition. it will get a bit worse if i havent slept good but thats about it. i also have hppd thought it doesnt bother me much.

redsun

as a dumb teen i tried weed ONCE. i have been stuck with a horrible derealization since. ive had it for 8 or so years now. ive accepted it as a part of my life a very long time ago. i was just curious if anyone else here has been cured or found anything to help. in my 8 years, NOTHING has ever made any change to my condition. it will get a bit worse if i havent slept good but thats about it. i also have hppd thought it doesnt bother me much.
Have you tried zinc?

undecided0

Have you tried anti-serotonin methods?

Martin

Had it as well. Caffeine aspirin and niacinamide seemed to help me. Not sure If I would have gotten better on my own, but definitely felt better while taking them and eventually made a full recovery.

golder

I have a friend who has this. Would you be able to try and articulate what it is, what changed, and what you lost from your former self when you got this condition? It fascinates me, and I think I may have had periodic episodes of this from recreational past binges. Fortunately managed to get grounded back to reality after enough time passed, but feel horrible for those that can’t seem to escape its’ grasp. Sincerely hope you improve

youngsinatra

I think it was associated with NMDA hypofunction, as ketamine can induce derealization. (an NMDA antagonist)

But I don‘t know much about this subject specifically.

TheSir

How traumatic was your experience with weed? Did you have a panic attack?

undecided0

Not very scientific at all but I’ve been around a lot of drugs in the past, and the people who use them. I’ve seen people snap out of derealization by changing their thinking. I actually asked a friend with a history of this type of thing and he said that it stayed for him as long as he thought of it as a condition that happened to him and went away when he realized he had control over it.

I mean anxiety and derealization is a cycle. One lead the other and so on. Maybe focus on things that can reduce anxiety?

OP
I

imei3489

Have you tried zinc?
no
Have you tried anti-serotonin methods?
other than general peating, no. i just dont see how any supplements would make anydifference, when all the wildly different diets ive done have never affected my condition at all.
Had it as well. Caffeine aspirin and niacinamide seemed to help me. Not sure If I would have gotten better on my own, but definitely felt better while taking them and eventually made a full recovery.
how long did you have it? how bad was it? are you 100% recovered? how gradual was your recovery? ive never tried niacinamide, aspirin does NOTHING, and caffeine may have things looking a tad bit more real, but the dose needed for that messes up my sleep.
I have a friend who has this. Would you be able to try and articulate what it is, what changed, and what you lost from your former self when you got this condition? It fascinates me, and I think I may have had periodic episodes of this from recreational past binges. Fortunately managed to get grounded back to reality after enough time passed, but feel horrible for those that can’t seem to escape its’ grasp. Sincerely hope you improve
i dont have any delusions. i dont think this is all a simulation or a dream- the best way i can describe it is, imagine how the world looks different when you do drugs- its just like that. everything looks fake, werid, like a dream. its not a feeling or a kind of strange hazy mood. everything, just looks like a fake dream. i didnt loose anything from my former self- nothing changed. everything just looks unreal.
i smoked weed once, at night. went to bed high. woke up like this the next day. throught continents and adventures and boring days, its been with me for 8+ years. it was indescribably bad at first, but it got less severe as the years passed. then progress just stalled and ive been the same for about 4 years. what i am starting to worry about now though, is that if this doesnt leave before my brain looses its plasticity, then ill be stuck like this forever. if its not gone in a couple of years, i am going to try ayahuasca as i have read several anecdotes where it cured people. its the only thing ive ever heard of to just striaght up cure someone just like that. the risk is high, but i have little to lose.

OP
I

imei3489

How traumatic was your experience with weed? Did you have a panic attack?
i had a fun night, nothing bad happened.
Not very scientific at all but I’ve been around a lot of drugs in the past, and the people who use them. I’ve seen people snap out of derealization by changing their thinking. I actually asked a friend with a history of this type of thing and he said that it stayed for him as long as he thought of it as a condition that happened to him and went away when he realized he had control over it.

I mean anxiety and derealization is a cycle. One lead the other and so on. Maybe focus on things that can reduce anxiety?
yeah, ive heard stories like this too. the issue is i have no anxiety. ive never had it. did your friend just snap out of it or was it gradual? ive long since accepted it as my brain chemistry being out of whack. i really feel i am as much at peace with this as i can get.

undecided0

i had a fun night, nothing bad happened.

yeah, ive heard stories like this too. the issue is i have no anxiety. ive never had it. did your friend just snap out of it or was it gradual? ive long since accepted it as my brain chemistry being out of whack. i really feel i am as much at peace with this as i can get.
I'm not sure if it was gradual or instant, but he no longer suffers from it and hasn't in a long time.

Don't think that you won't improve, that would be the worst thing to do. Never underestimate your brain - in both good and bad. It's easy to get caught up in the biochem/physiology side of things but let's not forget that we're human, and you have control over your thinking even if it's difficult. Optimism is an incredible drug.. which circles back to neurotransmitters.

Last edited:

Daft

Maybe something that increases NGF could induce neurogenesis or pruning to change whatever has occured possibly back towards your epigenetic potential/normalcy, like bulk powdered Lion's Mane mushroom. Have read anecdotes of it fixing surprising stuff gradually, like spinal injuries, which involves neurons in the spine, just as the brain highly consists of.

Daft

Theoretically, an NAD+ boosting supplement could work in a similar way, potentially reversing metabolic damage to rudimentary cells involved in whatever part of the brain has been affected.

redsun

no

other than general peating, no. i just dont see how any supplements would make anydifference, when all the wildly different diets ive done have never affected my condition at all.

how long did you have it? how bad was it? are you 100% recovered? how gradual was your recovery? ive never tried niacinamide, aspirin does NOTHING, and caffeine may have things looking a tad bit more real, but the dose needed for that messes up my sleep.

i dont have any delusions. i dont think this is all a simulation or a dream- the best way i can describe it is, imagine how the world looks different when you do drugs- its just like that. everything looks fake, werid, like a dream. its not a feeling or a kind of strange hazy mood. everything, just looks like a fake dream. i didnt loose anything from my former self- nothing changed. everything just looks unreal.
i smoked weed once, at night. went to bed high. woke up like this the next day. throught continents and adventures and boring days, its been with me for 8+ years. it was indescribably bad at first, but it got less severe as the years passed. then progress just stalled and ive been the same for about 4 years. what i am starting to worry about now though, is that if this doesnt leave before my brain looses its plasticity, then ill be stuck like this forever. if its not gone in a couple of years, i am going to try ayahuasca as i have read several anecdotes where it cured people. its the only thing ive ever heard of to just striaght up cure someone just like that. the risk is high, but i have little to lose.
I've experiences this directly myself and know exactly what you mean. Dealt with it on and off for a time of a few months. Really got triggered when something stressful happened.

High endogenous opioid activity and serotonin activity are implicated in derealization. High endogenous opioid activity usually coming from high stress signalling, since the cortisol releasing cascade also releases opioids.

The enzymes that break down endogenous opioids are zinc enzymes. Zinc also has strong anti-serotonin effects. These are things I took into account when deciding to try zinc to fix it. And it worked. You can try zinc glycinate 20mg daily for a week and see if you improve. You may need to also work on eating a diet that is better at reducing stress signalling overall.

OP
I

imei3489

I've experiences this directly myself and know exactly what you mean. Dealt with it on and off for a time of a few months. Really got triggered when something stressful happened.

High endogenous opioid activity and serotonin activity are implicated in derealization. High endogenous opioid activity usually coming from high stress signalling, since the cortisol releasing cascade also releases opioids.

The enzymes that break down endogenous opioids are zinc enzymes. Zinc also has strong anti-serotonin effects. These are things I took into account when deciding to try zinc to fix it. And it worked. You can try zinc glycinate 20mg daily for a week and see if you improve. You may need to also work on eating a diet that is better at reducing stress signalling overall.
wait wait wait- are you telling me zinc cured you? i have never heard of a supplement curing anyone! i have nothing to loose, i will give it a try asap! how long after you started zinc, did you see improvements? i must say, i have not had much sex or masturbated for the last 6 months, but i did recently masturbate a bunch of times due to bad stress- i felt no different. (im assuming ejaculating depletes your zinc)

I'm not sure if it was gradual or instant, but he no longer suffers from it and hasn't in a long time.

Don't think that you won't improve, that would be the worst thing to do. Never underestimate your brain - in both good and bad. It's easy to get caught up in the biochem/physiology side of things but let's not forget that we're human, and you have control over your thinking even if it's difficult. Optimism is an incredible drug.. which circles back to neurotransmitters.
i did read a story once- a guy vented about his derealization to his dad- and his dad responded:
"if you can focus on it and make it worse, then you also have the control to make it better."
that was aparently very helpful to him.
however ive had 8 years to think about this. and i think about it every day. ive gone through every stage of grief- ive denied it, ive accepted it, ive been positive, negative, ive been sure i would be cured, ive accepted it as a part of me that will never leave... ive gone through every imaginable mindset, and it has NEVER changed in the least. not one bit. i think in my case its entirely physical, man that weed just ******* fried my brain. others smoked it too, and they were fine.

OccamzRazer

@imei3489

Hi! Something similar happened to me from taking a capsule filled with kief. Pretty dumb, right? As it happens, this was 8 years ago - in 2014.

It's hard to say what pulled me out of it. High-quality meat is very grounding. Organic wine can be too. Small doses of psychedelic mushrooms can also have a serotonin-antagonising effect that makes you feel at home in your body.

Last but not least, meditation/prayer while out in nature is a great way to get in touch with your real self.

redsun

wait wait wait- are you telling me zinc cured you? i have never heard of a supplement curing anyone! i have nothing to loose, i will give it a try asap! how long after you started zinc, did you see improvements? i must say, i have not had much sex or masturbated for the last 6 months, but i did recently masturbate a bunch of times due to bad stress- i felt no different. (im assuming ejaculating depletes your zinc)

i did read a story once- a guy vented about his derealization to his dad- and his dad responded:
"if you can focus on it and make it worse, then you also have the control to make it better."
that was aparently very helpful to him.
however ive had 8 years to think about this. and i think about it every day. ive gone through every stage of grief- ive denied it, ive accepted it, ive been positive, negative, ive been sure i would be cured, ive accepted it as a part of me that will never leave... ive gone through every imaginable mindset, and it has NEVER changed in the least. not one bit. i think in my case its entirely physical, man that weed just ******* fried my brain. others smoked it too, and they were fine.
Yes it worked for me. And if it works for you, this likely suggests you are very depleted in zinc for whatever reason. Improvement should be seen within a week. It depends really how badly you need the zinc and everyone is different. Let us know if it helps.

Martin

no

no

Moderate
Couple months
Recovery took about a month just getting better and better every day.
Prayed a lot and somehow found ray peat
Took common doses for everything 500 mg niacinamide 325mg aspirin couple cups of coffee
I used the ray peat coffee recipe on the Danny Roddy YouTube channel

Niacinamide seemed to help most with the anxiety and it's cheap and available.
Consistency was key for me. If you are intolerant to coffee just start with a cup and you'll become tolerant in a few days
I believe ray mentioned aspirin and coffee combined has a beneficial effect. Specifically reducing serotonin.

Honestly wish you the best

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals