Drinking milk problems

iLoveSugar

Whenever I drink milk, I get bad heartburn, and my throat hurts quite badly. Why could this be? I've tried sugar, warming the milk, and drinking it slower.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
iLoveSugar said:
Whenever I drink milk, I get bad heartburn, and my throat hurts quite badly. Why could this be? I've tried sugar, warming the milk, and drinking it slower.
Originally I drank local whole, organic, grass-fed, pasteurized milk because it was all I seemed to be able to tolerate. Close to a year later I am able to tolerate all milks except ultrapasteurized and UHT. As long as it is pasteurized I'm fine. I'm not sure why that is but it is what I've noticed from self experimentation. If you haven't experimented with the different types of pasteurization or tried milk without added vitamins to see if they are an issue it might be worth a shot. The better my metabolism the better I tolerate various foods that used to seem to cause me problems. Good luck to you. I hope you find a milk that you can tolerate. If you aren't drinking milk regularly perhaps trying just 1/4 cup with meals will help your body start producing the lactase enzyme again as Peat has written about.