Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Regular rats eat 2000 calories a day?! Wow, what a metabolism.

I wonder whether the very high calories or sugar, moderate caffeine, or sth else in the coke increased transit speed significantly, so they excreted more of the other food they were eating? Could this happen or is this controlled for? Can't see it accounting for the whole difference, but maybe a part of it?

Yeah, rat metabolism is about 10 times higher than ours.
Fair points about the speed of transit, but if the rats pooped too much or had diarrhea the study would have said so. I have seen other studies on weight loss from supplements like African Mango and they did note that the weight loss was primarily from dehydration and calorie loss through loose stools and even vomiting. The studies were with rodents, obviously. If human studies showed these side effects, nobody would be buying that supplement.

superhuman

@haidut how much of it do you think can be applied to humans?

Do you think coke has added benefit in terms of no fat and no fiber so no endotoxins or anything is getting formed from consuming it. Its basically just liquid ready to use fuel :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut how much of it do you think can be applied to humans?

Do you think coke has added benefit in terms of no fat and no fiber so no endotoxins or anything is getting formed from consuming it. Its basically just liquid ready to use fuel :)

I think a lot of it is applicable to humans since the rats got a lot of extra calories from sugar, and beyond their basic protein needs were allowed to liberally consume sugar, which I think Peat has said is optimal but he mentioned orange juice instead of Coke. A similar study found life extension effects, and also no increase in weight.
Low protein / high carb diet - healthier than caloric restriction

you could hear the investigators squirming in discomfort, just SO pissed off at the results they NEVER expected. I think this was designed and funded as a "see how bad sugar is " study and it completely backfired.

I am wondering what the elevated triglycerides mean. They were 50% higher than the controls.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
you could hear the investigators squirming in discomfort, just SO pissed off at the results they NEVER expected. I think this was designed and funded as a "see how bad sugar is " study and it completely backfired.

I am wondering what the elevated triglycerides mean. They were 50% higher than the controls.

Probably not much. It is NEFA/FFA you need to worry about as they have the hormonal effects. Also, see this:
Good (HDL) Cholesterol Is Not So Good After All

kaybb

My father-in-law has been healthy all his life. He isn't picky about what he eats, but he is when it comes to what he drinks. He has only one request of his children...keep him stalked with one kind of pop. Pesi-cola, which he drinks everyday in the afternoons. He will be 92 in June :).

ejalrp

If the coke was still significantly carbonated at the point of ingestion, the CO2 might be another factor to consider.
But the same would apply to the diet coke group.

Do rats burp? :D

I just can't get over the total caloric intake figure.
What a difference!
Article states the Coke was decarbonated by "sonication".

Simonsays

I can testify to this.

Im on Pepsi x 2/3 cans a day ( better than Coke for some reason i read on this forum) , plus loads of orange juice, plus honey , some chocolate , milk obviously and losing weight ( definitely not muscle , as i am doing weights, only couple minutes a day) , fat and fifty middle age spread, poor metabolism (long time hypo) but down 2 waist sizes.

Down side is so much sugar seems to trigger bacteria/candida surge? Coated tongue, tonsils regular fill up with stones..

kaybb

I can testify to this.

Im on Pepsi x 2/3 cans a day ( better than Coke for some reason i read on this forum) , plus loads of orange juice, plus honey , some chocolate , milk obviously and losing weight ( definitely not muscle , as i am doing weights, only couple minutes a day) , fat and fifty middle age spread, poor metabolism (long time hypo) but down 2 waist sizes.

Down side is so much sugar seems to trigger bacteria/candida surge? Coated tongue, tonsils regular fill up with stones..
Yes!! Finally someone else....sugar promotes sore throats if I am not careful. I always have to overcome doubts towards RP when fighting this. I tolerate more sugar than at first though.

lindsay

I just got this crazy funny vision of rats hopped up on 8,000 calories worth of coke and what that would look like - LOL. I'm imagining them going crazy in their cages running on those little running wheels! I wonder how the study would go if they were feeding the rats heavily sweetened coffee. I take it their diet was fat free?

Jayfish

@haidut this is just insane cool finding, thanx. I remember a childhood friend of mine and he was always skinny and full of energy. He drank at least 4 liters regular coca cola a day. For like 10+ years

I have a friend who drinks close to a half gallon of coke a day and she is obese and has bad kidney stones. So coke is definitely not a magic bullet. Of course she also eats lots of pufa rich foods.

Simonsays

Yes!! Finally someone else....sugar promotes sore throats if I am not careful. I always have to overcome doubts towards RP when fighting this. I tolerate more sugar than at first though.

kaybb, but i dont get a sore throat, just stones?? I also had to overcome my sugar fear, as i think i suffer candida and leaky gut. Which i think may be more starch triggered, but.....

I did used used to suffer tonsillitis regularly as a child, which i read somewhere, like glandular fever can be a possible trigger to later hypothyroidism.....

Jarman

This study needs to be put into proper context because otherwise people will misinterpret this as green light to consume as much as coke as possible. And that's dangerous.

Are these rats PUFA-depleted before being feed with lots of Coke? I assume Ray Peat, tyw and Okinawans are already PUFA depleted so they'll be okay with consuming so much Coke outside of big meal hours.

But most of us here are full of PUFA. We are not healthy. Consuming lots of fructose while harboring so much PUFA in our body is dangerous to our insulin and liver. tyw broke it down very nicely in this thread and this thread.

The solid proof is that lots of people here gain weight when they start adopting Peat-style diet. Which one would I personally trust more? The study of high-fructose-fed-rats-but-not-gaining-weight or the fact that almost everyone here gain weight from consuming so much fructose? I'd trust the latter.

Even the OP study acknowledges that fructose is processed mainly in liver:

Unlike glucose, which is metabolized in every body tissue, fructose is primarily metabolized in the liver and poorly stimulates insulin and leptin secretion [9,10].

So if you have weak liver / adrenals, it might be wise to minimize fructose and eat more glucose-based food. tyw recommends specific types of rices, which I personally found much easier to digest and more insulin tolerant than sugar.

Artemis is officially diabetic now: 6 Months Into Peating, I Get Diabetes

I understand that her health situation is rather unique, but nevertheless it's a proof that just because something works on certain group of people / rats doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Most research studies are done in controlled environment, but they don't always apply IRL. There're so many variables in our lives that lead us to where we are now. Stress, PUFA diet, sleeping late, undereat/overeat, staying away from sun, sitting at work most of the time etc.

Last edited:

superhuman

I have a friend who drinks close to a half gallon of coke a day and she is obese and has bad kidney stones. So coke is definitely not a magic bullet. Of course she also eats lots of pufa rich foods.

Remember using alot of sugar together with alot of ***t will make it much worse, like if you eat alot of PUFA etc etc etc

Nick

daily caloric intake of the rats drinking fructose-rich Coke increased from about 2,000 calories per day to about 8,000 calories per day
Regular rats eat 2000 calories a day?! Wow, what a metabolism.

Perhaps I am missing something but I was under the impression that adult rats typically eat somewhere in the ballpark of 50-100 kcal/day, not quite 2000-8000 kcal/day. The graph lists total caloric intake without any time units and the calorie unit is kcal/100g and the article was very unclear about what exactly this figure means. My best guess is that the 1000 and 8000kcal figures are referring to a total intake over the course of the whole study (8 weeks) per 100g of rat, making the range of daily caloric intakes something like 35kcal-500kcal depending on the size of rat and which group they are in.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Perhaps I am missing something but I was under the impression that adult rats typically eat somewhere in the ballpark of 50-100 kcal/day, not quite 2000-8000 kcal/day. The graph lists total caloric intake without any time units and the calorie unit is kcal/100g and the article was very unclear about what exactly this figure means. My best guess is that the 1000 and 8000kcal figures are referring to a total intake over the course of the whole study (8 weeks) per 100g of rat, making the range of daily caloric intakes something like 35kcal-500kcal depending on the size of rat and which group they are in.

It's the relative increase that is shocking and even the scientists pointed that out. The absolute numbers may have been normalized for a human consumption comparison - i.e. a typical human eats 2,000 calories. So, a human eating 2,000 calories a day and jumping to 8,000 without gaining weight is quite impressive.

superhuman

Its insane, and i would love if someone could document and copy the study when using themselves to see if it will work

L

lollipop

I did used used to suffer tonsillitis regularly as a child, which i read somewhere, like glandular fever can be a possible trigger to later hypothyroidism.....
Fascinating...this was my case. Maybe the reverse order? Hypothyroidism first than tonsillitis?

Agent207

PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company approve this thread :greedy::greedy:

This study without having some other markers like thyroid, insulin sensivity and stress hormones is totally worthless. Not to mention having 3/4 of your daily calories from coke sodas will be very deleterious for health. Lots of drugs that trigger stress hormones can produce similar effects. Weight variations isolated by its own doesn't say much regarding health; specially when it doesnt specifies the type of weight variation, lean mass / fat mass.

This sudy with 1999 rodents (the one you posted is 45) lasted up to 1 year; they replaced drinking water for coke, wee what happened,

Results of long-term carcinogenicity bioassays on Coca-Cola administered to Sprague-Dawley rats. - PubMed - NCBI

During the biophase, data were collected on fluid and feed consumption, body weight, and survival. Animals were kept under observation until spontaneous death and underwent complete necropsy. The results indicate: (a) an increase in body weight in ALL treated animals; (b) a statistically significant increase of the incidence in females, both breeders and offspring, bearing malignant mammary tumors; (c) a statistically significant increase in the incidence of exocrine ademonas of the pancreas in both male and female breeders and offspring; and (d) an increased incidence, albeit not statistically significant, of pancreatic islet cell carcinomas in females, a malignant tumor which occurs very rarely in our historical controls.