Drink Your Milk: The Many Benefits Of Dairy

nbznj

I've seen the one on Netflix too. IMO not a problem at all if you're not immuno deficient or weakened. I suspect those kids to have been poorly fed to begin with. Maybe breast feeding would help our society a lot instead of giving our kids a lot of trash right from the start

But better err on the side of caution with children and give them the best organic grass fed whole milk. Non homogenized. Maybe ramp the lactose up using some % of lactose free if needed

About to live in SoCal too! A few more months to go. So impatient. So many great diet options down there

Douglas Ek

is there any substance to these claims. resources or links about milk being healthy? Like the link between hypo and lactose intolerance etc?

Amazoniac

This post is sponsored by the dairy industry, but I already reframed my corruption in a positive way to be at ease with it. Unfortunately we used a form of supplemental calcium that's not approved by Jennifer, this may or may not have been on purpose.

- Effect of dairy calcium or supplementary calcium intake on postprandial fat metabolism, appetite, and subsequent energy intake

"The present study evaluated the effects of calcium intake on postprandial fat metabolism as a proxy for fat absorption. The major finding was that a high calcium intake from dairy products, milk, and low-fat yogurt, but not from a calcium supplement, decreased postprandial lipidemia. No significant effect of a high calcium intake from either dairy products or the supplement on appetite sensations, appetite hormones, or calorie intake at the subsequent meal was found."

"Consumption of the high-fat meals resulted, as expected, in pronounced postprandial lipidemia. Compared with the LC meal, the lipid response in chylomicron triacylglycerol was reduced by ~17% by the MC meal and by ~19% by the HC meal, which indicated that a high calcium intake from dairy products reduces the lipid response but also that a plateau value exists above which an increased calcium intake does not seem to have any additional effect. The total lipid response in plasma total triacylglycerol was not affected by calcium intake."

upload_2019-4-28_7-9-33.png
upload_2019-4-28_7-9-45.png

"The decrease in the lipid response in chylomicron triacylglycerols may reflect either a decrease in fat absorption or an increase in chylomicron clearance. However, no evidence in the literature suggests that calcium intake interferes with chylomicron clearance, and the unaffected concentrations of total cholesterol and HDL cholesterol suggest that this is unlikely. It is therefore most likely that the decreased postprandial lipid response was due to decreases in fat absorption. It was previously shown that the lipid response in chylomicron triacylglycerols increases with the amount of fat ingested (0-50 g per meal) (34). As far as we know, the present study is the first to show that an increased calcium intake from dairy products exerts a lowering effect on postprandial fat absorption. However, several studies, in both animals and humans, have shown that calcium intake increases the fecal excretion of fat, presumably via the formation of insoluble calcium fatty acid soaps in the gut or by binding of bile acids, which impairs the formation of micelles (17–21, 24, 25, 35, 36)."

"It was previously shown that calcium from dairy products has a more profound effect on body weight than does calcium from supplements (6, 14). The mechanism behind this difference is unknown. We previously suggested that this may be due in part to the time at which the supplement is consumed. If calcium is to inhibit the absorption of fat it, is a condition that fat and calcium are present in the gut at the same time (5). We therefore gave the supplement as a part of the meal and in a solution that mimicked the milk given with the other meals. However, the lipid response in chylomicron triacylglycerols was not significantly different after the intake of the LC and Suppl meals, which indicated that there must be another property of milk calcium that we did not take into account, eg, the chemical form of calcium, other bioactive components in dairy products, differences in the solubility of calcium from milk and calcium carbonate, or differences in pH. In dairy products, calcium is largely found as calcium phosphate and it is possible that phosphate contributes to the effect of calcium. It was previously shown that supplemental calcium increases the fecal excretion of phosphate and inhibits its absorption, probably because of the formation of insoluble calcium phosphate, which has been suggested to bind bile acids and thereby partly impairs the formation of micelles (25)."​

L_C

@charlie

How can one cure 'bacterial overgrowth in the upper intestines ' that's causing lactose intolerance?

marcar72

How can one cure 'bacterial overgrowth in the upper intestines ' that's causing lactose intolerance?

I've always felt deglet noor dates with a pint of kefir was a good option for suspected SIBO. Maybe give it a try a time or two as it's always seemed to help me. :2cents:

L_C

I've always felt deglet noor dates with a pint of kefir was a good option for suspected SIBO. Maybe give it a try a time or two as it's always seemed to help me. :2cents:

Actually, I learned that I have more of a cassein allergy (post nasal drip, too much mucous, dry scalp - unsure if that one is related to that).

Unsure, if cassein allergy is the same as lactose intolerance.