Dried Mango For Vitamin A?

Arnold Grape

I notice a lot of people talking about Vitamin A and when I punch it into Cronometer, it seems like the Dried Mango from Trader Joe's supplies more than what could be necessary for a daily total. This particular variety is not sulfured and not sweetened. Does anybody see a hitch in this?

kayumochi

Lots of people I know pair the Trader Joe's dried mango with cannabis ...

EIRE24

I notice a lot of people talking about Vitamin A and when I punch it into Cronometer, it seems like the Dried Mango from Trader Joe's supplies more than what could be necessary for a daily total. This particular variety is not sulfured and not sweetened. Does anybody see a hitch in this?

I'm sure the vitamin A would be beta carotene. Less effective than eating liver.

raypeatclips

The vitamin a is beta carotene which could cause issues if you are susceptible to that sort of thing. I also remember Ray talking about something called "mango sickness" when people had been eating a lot of it you might want to research if you are considering eating lots of Mango.

OP
Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape

Oh, man: I was sure somebody was going to suggest something like the aforementioned. (Mango allergy.) Although I have not had issues with it that I'm aware of, you almost never see people talk about eating this particular fruit, and I'm pretty sure it stems from whatever sentence Peat formed regarding this subject, like ten years ago. It is here:

"Mangos Are In The Same Family As Poison Oak"

Regina

Oh, man: I was sure somebody was going to suggest something like the aforementioned. (Mango allergy.) Although I have not had issues with it that I'm aware of, you almost never see people talk about eating this particular fruit, and I'm pretty sure it stems from whatever sentence Peat formed regarding this subject, like ten years ago. It is here:

My Dad (irish born) almost died when he ate mangoes in Florida. He was just unrecognizable in the hospital--in a coma and ballooned up everywhere. He survived the episode.

michael94

My Dad (irish born) almost died when he ate mangoes in Florida. He was just unrecognizable in the hospital--in a coma and ballooned up everywhere. He survived the episode.
Were there any other details you would want to share? What did they do to stabilize/treat him? How was he in the following months?

Regina

Were there any other details you would want to share? What did they do to stabilize/treat him? How was he in the following months?
I was a kid so I don't remember. But he was in the hospital for a long time because we would go visit daily and the priest would mention him at mass for everyone to pray for him. But until he died, he had to stay away from the trees and the sap.

Sucrates

Betacarotene can be split to vitamin A. It can also become other derivatives of betacarotene that antagonise a number of vitamin A receptors. You could end up worse of in terms of vitamin A functionality with a lot of betacarotene. I'm not sure what determines how betacarotene is processed to those downstream elements.

schultz

I love mangoes and eat them all the time when I can get good ones. I'm not too worried about it and do fine with them.

As far as the beta carotene goes, it's probably a decent source of vitamin A for people with good thyroid function and adequate B12. I'm definitely not going to spend my life avoiding carotene when it's in a lot of my favourite fruits. That would be insane. Possibly if I was very hypothyroid and trying to fix that.

Travis

And the carotene cleavage enzyme is regulated in a negative-feedback manner, preventing overload. This is a plus, a feather-in-the-cap for carotenes.

Papaya has a good amount as well, and these are easier to eat. It takes a good knife and considerable technique to cut a mango.

Last edited:

tara

It takes a good knife and considerable technique to cut a mango.
Depends. I have a child that likes them. They are seldom available, affordable and ripe round here, but I get them sometimes. He makes one rough cut, and manages to get most of it into him, and about 5% as a transdermal face pack. :)

My view on carotenes and starch when arguing against the typical paleo-type bro/basic fitness chick who finds Peat and obsesses over and ignores nuance relating to carotenes and starch is that Peat has said it's all about the thyroid and digestive function when you summarize it simply and if you have a problem with carotenes and/or starch then it's not those foods fault, it's your poor thyroid and digestive system. And these type of people always say that if someone has a problem with milk/dairy that they should work on thyroid and digestion but then turn around and not say the same thing about carotenes/starch. People are biased so they cherry pick which Peat quotes they want to go off of.

"Cooked beets are pleasant food, but the high carotene content could become a problem if thyroid function isn’t too good."

"But if you eat too much liver, it can act like too much muscle meat and suppress your thyroid. Too much carotene or vitamin A can also suppress your thyroid. So I recommend lots of liver and eggs in the diet, but only if you're balancing with the right amount of thyroid function, so that your liver has all of the actors that it needs to process out the toxins."

"If a person has a very vigorous thyroid function and plenty of vitamin B12, they can take care of a lot of carotene. But if you notice that the calluses on your hands and feet are starting to get an orange tint to them, that means you've got too much carotene."

And this one with starch.

You should be healthy enough that carotene/starch is used how a healthy body is supposed to, i.e. conversion to vitamin A, use of phytonutrients other than converting to A, and starch converting into energy via glycogen and beneficial SFA gut flora.

Last edited:

EIRE24

I'm irish and had the same reaction to mango. I dont eat it anymore.

Travis

@Travis preventing overload of retinal or β-apocarotenoids?
With high consumption of β-carotene or retinol, the carotene cleavage enzyme appears to be downregulated. Though perhaps not an official enzyme name, the term "carotene cleavage enzyme" is often used, regardless—an intuitive less-formal nickname. Let me see if I can find-out what the other name is, since I forgot:
Of course, it's an oxygenase. You might expect it to be classified as such because it turns a double bond into two aldehydes (retinals), ostensibly by adding O₂ to the double bond—almost like a controlled lipid peroxidation event. As another O₂-shepherding enzyme (protein), you might also expect it to contain heme, like cyclooxygenase and hemoglobin.
  • Zaripheh, Susan, et al. "Dietary lycopene downregulates carotenoid 15, 15′-monooxygenase and PPAR-γ in selected rat tissues." The Journal of nutrition 136.4 (2006): 932-938.
  • Bachmann, Heinrich, et al. "Feedback regulation of β, β-carotene 15, 15′-monooxygenase by retinoic acid in rats and chickens." The Journal of nutrition 132.12 (2002): 3616-3622.
    • "We found dose-dependent decreases in intestinal β,β-carotene monooxygenase activity after oral administration to rats of retinyl acetate (up to −79%), β-carotene (up to −79%), apo-8′-carotenal (up to −56%), all-transretinoic acid (up to −88%), and 9-cisretinoic acid (up to −67%). Liver β,β-carotene 15,15′-monooxygenase (βCMOOX) activity was not affected. Apo-12′carotenal and the retinoic acid receptor (RAR) α antagonist Ro 41-5253 significantly increased the intestinal enzyme activity by 55 and 94%, respectively. [...] Our data suggest that retinoids and carotenoids might regulate βCMOOX expression by a transcriptional feedback mechanism via interaction with members of the RAR family." ―Bachmann
Which appears to be why higher chronic doses of β-carotene don't appear to cause hypervitaminosis A. If this regulatory feedback system is working well, this would make high-dose β-carotene about equally as effective as low-dose β-carotene for producing retinal. The implications are obious: High dose β-carotene is a complete waste of money! (although some β-carotene could be absorbed whole, where it could potentially act as a general antioxidant.. . . ..or perhaps even a disruptor of eicasanoid signalling?)

I'm still waiting for that orange skin tone, but this appears to be induced only by carrots.. . ..and I don't really eat carrots. I've eaten multiple papayas per day for weeks without getting the orange skin tone; so whole carotenes don't appear to be absorbed very well.

The only bad reaction that I've had to mangoes came from the sap, that sticky exudate which can be found near the stem.

Amazoniac

When the fruit is under development the toxins should target everyone, as it ripens, the animal toxins start to disappear and the incests and microbial toxins remain. That's one of the beauty of fruits: safe nourishment while providing protection. Howeva, angelords pick the fruit while unripe and let it ripen on its own. Maybe the toxins in mangoes have something that makes them uniquely harsh if that happens.

I always found this curious:
William F. Koch Research Site
Another class of inhibitants are substances of terpene structure, or substances that present a hydrogen atom in alpha position to an ethylene linkage or other double bond. Hydrogen atoms in this position are exceptionally active and can reduce the Carbonyl initiators as well as the free radical carriers of the oxidation chains. We, therefore, avoid tomatoes, cocktails, citrus fruit oils, paint polishes, wax solvents, etc., mangoes, and other foods containing substances of this order, as the diet outline shows.
Wild, unripe mangoes are deadly poison because of their terpenes. They protect the fruit from pests, and are a lesson again that the tree ripened fruit is the product Nature wishes us to use.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals