Nick810

Anyone have experiences with Dried Fruit?

I've eat a lot of raisins. A few dates too.

Nuts.com has a bunch of organic fruit, unsulphured, even stone fruits like Peaches, Plums etc.

Anyone tolerate these well and eat them frequently, which types?

mmartian

I recently read somewhere that dates are Peat-approved, so I've been consuming them regularly. They have a very noticeable, dramatic effect on raising my temperature, like nothing I've ever felt before — and they're delicious! The 365 Whole Foods brand I buy doesn't list sulphur dioxide on the package, so I'm hoping they're safe. Is it possible for dried fruits to be sulphured and not listed in the ingredients, or is it mandatory?

OP
N

Nick810

Oh, definitely because it's not really an ingredient, they just use it somewhere in the process of getting them shelf-ready.

I've also seen a bunch of Veg oils being used in Raisins.

For dates, I'm not sure how many use sulphur dioxide. The medjool ones that are in the fresh section likely don't, but they are super high calorie.

OP
N

Nick810

BTW just tested your dates theory. Agree, super hot after about 200 cals worth.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow, thats incredible about the body heat increase. I am going to the store tomorrow and hopefully will be able to pick some up and give it a shot.

nwo2012

Yes dates are a mainstay of my sugar intake due to convenience (at work).
Organic dried fruits are not allowed to be sprayed with sulphites (and other junk).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks a lot. I am now officially addicted to dates, yummy! Although I am not seeing the temp increases that you are. :confused

All I could get were the Sun Maid dates in my area. I hope they dont add anything bad to them. I am thinking of buying a big box of organic dates from online.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Thanks a lot. I am now officially addicted to dates, yummy! Although I am not seeing the temp increases that you are. :confused

All I could get were the Sun Maid dates in my area. I hope they dont add anything bad to them. I am thinking of buying a big box of organic dates from online.

Yep get the ones from California. I do too, all the way in Oz. lol.

OP
N

Nick810

Not sure I trust Sun Maid anything, pretty sure they'd have oil/preservations or their raisins do.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh, I was kinda figuring the same thing. Gonna have to order up some organic ones.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
N

Nick810

I wouldn't do medjool.
Dates are so addictive, and mejool have mental calories - like 70-100 per one. The regular pitted dates are like 120 calories for 5-7.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Whats a regular date called?

pete

Natural antihistamines and foods high in histamine
http://www.raysahelian.com/naturalantihistamine.html

Foods high in histamine (including fermented foods) include alcoholic beverages, especially beer, champagne and wine, anchovies, avocados, cheeses, especially aged or fermented cheese, such as parmesan, blue and Roquefort, dried fruits such as apricots, dates, figs, prunes, and raisins, fermented foods such as pickled or smoked meats, sauerkraut, etc., mushrooms, processed meats such as sausage, hot dogs, salami, etc., sardines, smoked fish such as herring, sour cream, sour milk, buttermilk and yogurt - especially if not fresh, soured breads, such as pumpernickel, coffee cakes and other foods made with large amounts of yeast, spinach, tomatoes, vinegar or vinegar-containing foods, such as mayonnaise, salad dressing, ketchup, chili sauce, pickles, pickled beets, relishes, olives.

Foods that release histamine include alcohol, bananas, chocolate, eggs, fish, milk, papayas, pineapple, shellfish, strawberries, and tomatoes.

cliff

Nickje said:
I wouldn't do medjool.
Dates are so addictive, and mejool have mental calories - like 70-100 per one. The regular pitted dates are like 120 calories for 5-7.

Maybe there addictive because they provide stuff you need? Medjools only have more sugar because they are twice the size of normal dates.

The smaller dates are actually sweeter in my experience unless your getting deglet which do not taste that great.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I ordered 11 pounds of these for $31 free shipping: :mrgreen:

Organic Halawi Dates
Name means "sweet,"
light amber color, soft
texture and great flavor.

cliff

halawi are really good, used to be one my favorites when I consumed dates in mass quantities.