Dreams

Peater

I can't remember the last time I had a coherent, pleasant dream. I think it is all to do with what's going on in the world rather than anything physical. I have not changed anything dietary significantly.

Any tips for pleasant dreams, or if not, no dreams at all?

(I've tried theanine, glycine, progest-E, cypro, the usual suspects)

rr1

I can't remember the last time I had a coherent, pleasant dream. I think it is all to do with what's going on in the world rather than anything physical. I have not changed anything dietary significantly.

Have you tried something as simple as making sure you have an exciting day with some exercise, outside in the sun if possible, and set some time to wind down towards the end of the day? Obviously no blue light or phone before bed - no movies, no social media, no negative news stories or anything intense - even just watching a movie before bed can be a bit too stimulating for most, and they tend to have thoughts from the movie on repeat in their head.

And although it's repeated for the 1000th time, the carrot salad is very helpful. Having digestive upset while trying to fall asleep will make it near impossible, and cause bad dreams.

All of those things you mentioned should help, progesterone is what causes me to have very pleasant dreams, and I do remember them when I wake up.

OP
P

Peater

Have you tried something as simple as making sure you have an exciting day with some exercise, outside in the sun if possible, and set some time to wind down towards the end of the day? Obviously no blue light or phone before bed - no movies, no social media, no negative news stories or anything intense - even just watching a movie before bed can be a bit too stimulating for most, and they tend to have thoughts from the movie on repeat in their head.

And although it's repeated for the 1000th time, the carrot salad is very helpful. Having digestive upset while trying to fall asleep will make it near impossible, and cause bad dreams.

All of those things you mentioned should help, progesterone is what causes me to have very pleasant dreams, and I do remember them when I wake up.

Thanks, good point about the carrot salad, I used to take that years ago but fell out of the habit. I have a reasonably physical job in construction, I get as much sun as possible on this mostly cold damp rock (UK) :mrgreen:

How much prog do you take (I assume you are male too?)

P

Peatness

Zinc and vitamin B6 deficiency are linked to dream recall

P

Peatness

Thanks - do you mean recalling them in a bad way?
I think they make the dream recall vivid

More info here too. This article is a big long but the salient part is this

A sign of low B6 is lack of dream memory, or very disturbing dreams. And if your B6 is very low, you will find it hard to take zinc. Zinc will make you feel nauseated, bloated or uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben.

Not sure about making a dream "good" but Ornithine makes sleep and dreams more intense/memorable for me.

If one where to supplement it, apparantly arginine needs to be supplemented aswell:

Hello, the neurobiological impacts of hyperammonemia (elevated ammonia levels) are one of my main areas of research. Ammonia is the most potent neurotoxin naturally existent in the human body. Even slight elevations, over time, may lead to neurodegenerative disease including Alzheimers Disease. (Ali, 2020). If you are having brain fog and other problems relieved by Ornithine, it could be indicative of a high serum ammonia level and you should discuss this with your physician. The main condition which causes hyperammonemia is liver cirrhosis, but there are numerous other conditions which can be causative, and can result in cognitive impairments including encephalopathy)(Kalra, 2020--See Table #1).

Ornithine triggers the Urea Cycle and is an adjunctive treatment for patients with Urea Cycle Disorders; a rare inborn error of metabolism. I will also caution you that Ornithine can deplete Arginine over time, which can also cause ammonia elevations. I will attach two (2) of my favorite (generalized) Pubmed articles about non-cirrhotic hyperammonemia as well as the mechanism of action for how ammonia causes neurotoxicity.

Ali R, Nagalli S. Hyperammonemia. [Updated 2020 Aug 10]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: Hyperammonemia - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Kalra, A., & Norvell, J. P. (2020). Cause for Confusion: Noncirrhotic Hyperammonemic Encephalopathy. Clinical liver disease, 15(6), 223–227. Error - Cookies Turned Off

Although I am not willing to make a recommendation to treat a potential disease, you might also look into L-Ornithine L-Aspartate (LOLA) in your research endeavors. See Butterworth, R. F., & McPhail, M. (2019). L-Ornithine L-Aspartate (LOLA) for Hepatic Encephalopathy in Cirrhosis: Results of Randomized Controlled Trials and Meta-Analyses. Drugs, 79(Suppl 1), 31–37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-018-1024-1

Good luck,
Brooks

P

Peatness

Not sure about making a dream "good" but Ornithine makes them more intense/memorable.

If one where to supplement it, apparantly arginine needs to be supplemented aswell:
I wonder if that is related to the lowered brain ammonia by ornithine?

Ben.

Thats probably the main reason why. Altough my knowledge about all the interactions is very limited. Its just that my friends and i noticed great improvements in terms of sleep. ANd not just anecdotal here but also alot of improvements reported from people on the internet.

i wonder if the intensity of the effect from ornithine is suggestive for liver issues one might be unaware of?
But i guess one can argue that even healthy people build up ammonia depending on the circumstances/diet?

L-ornithine-L-aspartate is most commonly used for reduced brain function in people with advanced liver disease (hepatic encephalopathy)
L-ornithine-L-aspartate increases the levels of ornithine and aspartic acid in the body. These amino acids help to reduce levels of a toxic chemical called ammonia in the blood.

Hepatic encephalopathy starts when your liver gets damaged from a disease you've had a long time, like chronic hepatitis, Reye's syndrome, or cirrhosis. It doesn't work right anymore, and toxins get into your bloodstream and travel to your brain. They build up there and cause the mental and physical symptoms of HE.

Ben.

Theres also this (Now i didnt look to deeply into it but interesting nonetheless) :

Randomised controlled trial of the effects of L-ornithine on stress markers and sleep quality in healthy workers

Results: Serum cortisol levels and the cortisol/DHEA-S ratio were significantly decreased in the L-ornithine group in comparison with the placebo group. Also, anger was reduced and perceived sleep quality was improved in the L-ornithine group.

P

Peatness

Theres also this (Now i didnt look to deeply into it but interesting nonetheless) :

Randomised controlled trial of the effects of L-ornithine on stress markers and sleep quality in healthy workers

Results: Serum cortisol levels and the cortisol/DHEA-S ratio were significantly decreased in the L-ornithine group in comparison with the placebo group. Also, anger was reduced and perceived sleep quality was improved in the L-ornithine group.
Thanks. I remember this study. I used to use L ornithine but stopped because I thought it was not peaty.

Nomane Euger

hi,for pleasant dreams I have found that no starch,no not perfectly ripe fruits,and eating only honey,very ripe fruits,salt,grass fed grass finished veal/lamb/beef meat,organs specifically brain/kidneys/liver from veal/lamb,kidneys make me have the best night and the best dreams so far,even 40 grammes,and subcutaneous fat from grass fed grass finished young lamb,the rare times I eat starches I have dream of war,and I experience negatives feelings along with it,also dreams where I feel like my personality is splitting,voices opposing each other’s,différents wills opposing each other.also still for pleasant dreams,talking to women’s will increase your wet dreams frequency,workout,vitamine K2 but not necessary pleasant even 1mg increase sex dreams frequency,but It kill the pleasure of the erection,it feel mechanical and ne not enjoyable at all.to not dream at all,blood donation lowered my dreaming frequency substantially.raw meat increase the clarity of my dreams,my ability to remember them,liver/brain/kidneys too.when I feel iam in a high histamine state,I dream less,the clarity of the dreams is worst,the dreams are less pleasant and some unpleasant self even occur.self esteem and others esteem for me influence how enjoyable my dreams are,at some point I’ll fly super high speed,have sex with women’s and ejaculate multiples times in my dreams,do some epic moves,have epic speech in front a crowd of peoples.being as sleep between 7am and 10am is what guaranteee me the highest a duration of dreams and the highest sex dreams frequency and appreciability.

Last edited:

boris

Eating a good amount of sugar and salt right before bed gives me pleasant dreams. Progest-E before sleeping makes me dream more intensely, but if my blood sugar drops the dreams will be unpleasant either way.

Cannabis will completely block your dreams, but long term use will damage the brain.

OP
P

Peater

Thanks everyone. I will keep things simple, and try some milk, honey, and continue the progest-E before bed as I am doing now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals