Dreading Work Travel

Cirion

I'm still deep in recovery mode which means I really can't get away with any cheats, any PUFA's, starches etc...

I have been trying to get out of a couple trips later in Feb but looks like I'm stuck going to both. In at least one there will be catered lunches, which I have no doubt have both pufa and starch, and who knows what else not to mention not even enough calories (I eat 5000+ a day lately). I really can't afford the PUFA's... I am sure someone will say oh just one meal won't hurt.... yeah well, last work trip brought my temps down a whole degree, that's the last thing I need right now

that and logically trying to figure out how to pack all the ridiculous amount of fruit and crap that I'm gonna need... maybe just mostly drink my calories to make it easier?

I am okay with burgers and steaks. Egg and fruit in the morning. If you drink milk, even easier.

Take charcoal, cascara...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Not a fan of eggs personally, due to the PUFA, and I'm already gonna be pufa-laden as it is probably... so probably replace that with milk & OJ in the morning, and maybe some fruit... same with the evening, I am sure co-workers will want to eat out for dinner but I'll opt out of that and eat my own thing probably. Maybe some coffee at lunch (if it is offered) may mitigate some of the pain of the lunches. Definitely will go zero PUFA (so skim milk, hydrogenated coconut oil) for the meals I can do on my own (breakfast+dinner), which will reduce the pain a bit.

Makrosky

What about bringing a good vit E supplement and take decent doses of it so you prevent PUFA damage?

Lee Simeon

I am not sure what would help for your situation, but I always use MitoLipin and DeFibron when dining out. You can also eat smaller servings if it is in fact PUFA or starches. I would not stress about it if I were you, but I have been in your shoes many times so I know what it is like. Many kids in the world are starving for crying out loud and if I cant manage to eat some slices of bread and canola oil and enjoy it, then I would have some problems. I would just eat it and not worry about it considering that people eat a diet like that everyday. I understand where you are coming from nonetheless, but traveling can be one heck of a rewarding experience if you let it become one. This is just my 2c and remember that SFA and Vitamin E are your companions who are there for you no matter what. I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but it is just what I do when I happen to be in a pickle like this :)

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah guess I'm gonna be bringing my MCT oil, hydrogenated coconut oil, vitamin E with me lol.

Even disregarding PUFA's, I'm still not really interested in dining out in the evenings because we have to be at work earlier than I'm used to, and I already need up to 12 hr of sleep... ughhh lol

being hypothyroid is the worst.

Makrosky

I would just eat it and not worry about it considering that people eat a diet like that everyday. I understand where you are coming from nonetheless, but traveling can be one heck of a rewarding experience if you let it become one.
Maybe chase down the dinner with some good clear spirits, hit the NYC pubs and have fun. If you are lucky you won't even remember you had PUFA the day before. Lol

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Maybe chase down the dinner with some good clear spirits, hit the NYC pubs and have fun. If you are lucky you won't even remember you had PUFA the day before. Lol

Yeah that's not exactly compatible with having to be at work at 8 am... lol

Makrosky

Yeah that's not exactly compatible with having to be at work at 8 am... lol
Damn... I remember in my early 20s when I could go to work at 8am with no sleep+alcohol the night before. That metabolism is gone forever I am afraid.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Damn... I remember in my early 20s when I could go to work at 8am with no sleep+alcohol the night before. That metabolism is gone forever I am afraid.

You could actually do that?

I never even had a metabolism like that..... not even in my teens or 20s.... now you see the background of hypothyroid I come from lol

Makrosky

You could actually do that?

I never even had a metabolism like that..... not even in my teens or 20s.... now you see the background of hypothyroid I come from lol
I could do that yes. Not that I did it many times but yeah. Obviously I wasn't as productive but maybe do 40% of what I would normally do? These days I cannot even think about doing that of course. Mostly because of the alcohol. I have very bad hangovers always.

Lejeboca

Yeah guess I'm gonna be bringing my MCT oil, hydrogenated coconut oil, vitamin E with me lol.
This what I would do too plus, as ecstatichamster said, do not forget charcoal.

I always take gummy bears with me on trips. They curb hunger well with sugar and protein. They are compact and pass the TSA groping in the airports.
Also, see whether you can get Red Bull in convenience stores near your travel location.

Runenight201

Do what you can, but don’t freak out over what you can’t entirely control. It couldn’t hurt to take couple days to maybe break from your normal pattern of eating and eat intuitively, you may learn a couple of new things. Emergency supps as necessary as others have noted (don’t forget the aspirin), and perhaps between now and the trip experiment with some sleeping supps? I know a couple forum members have posted about what they take if they want to be guaranteed a good nights rest, perhaps experimenting with while long term not good solutions but short term crutches could be beneficial.

Also it seems like you’ll be isolating yourself from coworkers for meals. If they don’t really fit your personality than that’s one thing, but a dinner and a couple drinks with good company can do a lot to eliminate stress. I know whenever I go out of my own little bubble and eat whatever and drink whatever, but I’m with good company and have a good time, it ends up being a net positive experience. I try to stick to intuitive principles and don’t overtly abuse what I’m putting into my body, but sometimes it’s good to let loose a little bit. Then again it’s work still so it may not be entirely like that, but you never know...

Luckytype

I always pack coconut oil, my fat sols and some minerals, gelatin powder and cheese sticks. You can always find rice or potato, fruit and juices. Simple stuff first and keep feeding even if its small amounts and you have to make up calories later in the day

when I travel I don't do as well. No doubt. I think it's a lot of things -- diet change, time zone change, patterns changing, stress.

But I find that I can eat steak, or burgers, or an egg, sometimes yogurt (if it doesn't have gums in it, which most do) and manage to get by. I'm not going to worry about a bun. I'll have pizza sometimes.

When I was drinking milk it was quite easy to get some milk and just drink it. Orange juice is really bad, when I travel, but if I add some baking soda (I travel with some) or magnesium carbonate it's tolerable.

Charcoal and cascara are my friend, keeping the bowels moving and absorbing endotoxins.

It's never easy but I travel a lot and manage to be in decent shape healthwise.

milk_lover

Margarita pizza, beef burgers, and ribay steak (not bad amino acid composition Total Amino Acids for Beef Rib Eye Steak Boneless Lip Off Separable Lean And Fat Trimmed To 0 Inch Fat All Grades Raw) are indeed good options when eating while traveling. I need to try the new version of tocovit to see I can tolerate it better than many of the vitamin E supplements I've tried over the years, including the old tocovit.

Little niacinamide is what I do now to tackle the PUFA issue when I have no control over what oil the restaurants use. I hope it won't be that fattening because niacinamide might elicit PUFA storage. Charcoal, coffee, and taurine (Red Bull or supplement) are what I use to help me regular especially when I eat bad food. When I travel to Europe, goat milk is almost in every grocery store which makes me my life easy. Coca Cola in a glass bottle is a very powerful food I believe. It has got everything. Sugars, caffeine, and anti-inflammatory substances. I believe as long as we try to minimize PUFA, difficult starch (individual basis), legumes and uncooked greens, our stomachs basically can handle everything with the tools I mentioned earlier.

when I travel I don't do as well. No doubt. I think it's a lot of things -- diet change, time zone change, patterns changing, stress.

But I find that I can eat steak, or burgers, or an egg, sometimes yogurt (if it doesn't have gums in it, which most do) and manage to get by. I'm not going to worry about a bun. I'll have pizza sometimes.

When I was drinking milk it was quite easy to get some milk and just drink it. Orange juice is really bad, when I travel, but if I add some baking soda (I travel with some) or magnesium carbonate it's tolerable.

Charcoal and cascara are my friend, keeping the bowels moving and absorbing endotoxins.

It's never easy but I travel a lot and manage to be in decent shape healthwise.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just frustrating that it seems like all of a sudden I am forced to do all sorts of travel when usually I only have to fly once or twice a year. I almost had to do THREE flights in a one month span but luckily got out of one of them.

I just want to get better, and these interruptions to my healing aren't helping. Sometimes it is hard to imagine ever getting well, but I know that's probably my hypothyroid brain being pessimistic.

milk_lover

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just frustrating that it seems like all of a sudden I am forced to do all sorts of travel when usually I only have to fly once or twice a year. I almost had to do THREE flights in a one month span but luckily got out of one of them.

I just want to get better, and these interruptions to my healing aren't helping. Sometimes it is hard to imagine ever getting well, but I know that's probably my hypothyroid brain being pessimistic.
What is your average flight time? I usually fly with Emirates for work because I am from Dubai so in their planes' bathrooms, they usually have paper bags for motion sickness. I use them for bag breathing to increase my CO2, raise my metabolism, and reduce stress. For every 3 hours of flight time, I take 1 Red Bull, 1 250g milk chocolate bar, 1 350-500ml Coca Cola. If my flight is 9 hours, I take three of each. Incline the seat to get some Inclined Bed Therapy action. Close the screen in front of you because you have to have headphone to listen to whatever showing in the screen. I just download stuff from Netflix and watch them offline through their app with no headphones because the plane is noisy enough that people wouldn't care about your phone sounds.

Lilac

A big piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't need refrigeration. You can wrap chunks in wax paper and carry that easily. Maybe some good chocolate, too, for the calories. I have noticed that in New York, the drugstores that carry snacks aimed at tourists usually have Haagen Dazs pints for sale, and some even have Mexican Coke.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals