Dr. William F. Koch Publications

OP
Grapelander

Grapelander

Ray Peat is not the only fan of Koch:
ELECTRON TRANSPORT AND THE WORK OF WILLIAM FREDERICH KOCH, MD
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson

HOW DOES THE ELECTRON TRANSPORT SYSTEM PRODUCE ATP?
Basically, one molecule of ADP (adenosine di-phosphate) is connected to one molecule of NADH via a special double-bonded carbon atom. This bond is called the carbonyl double bond. Then a molecule of phosphorus is bound to the molecule of NADH, also by a special type of double bond, though it is not a carbonyl bond. The double bonds are critical, as they seem to allow electrons to flow easily across from one of the compounds to the other. This is why the system is called electron transport.

The next step is that the phosphorus is released onto the ADP, forming the higher energy compound called ATP. The NADH becomes NAD, which is recycled back and used over again, just as ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate) is recycled as ADP and used again. This is the basic mechanism.

This mechanism sounds simple, but it is anything but simple. Dr. Koch worked for years to understand it, and his insights are found in the biochemistry books. What is not known, however, is how nutrition figures into the system. Here is the basic setup:

Phosphorus, as you might imagine, is central for the electron transport system. It is the “fiery element” needed to hold a high electrical charge and deliver it to where it is needed in the body.
Copper is needed to transform the P or phosphorus atom from a simple phosphorus atom or compound into the high-energy phosphorus compound needed for ATP.
Iron is needed to transform the NADH so that it can receive the P and be attached to the ADP.
Manganese is needed in other steps, earlier in the Krebs or carboxylic acid cycle and glycolysis cycle.
Other nutrients such as coenzyme Q-10 (ubiquinone) are involved, as well, but are not as critical as the minerals, in most cases.

Amigos or oxides harmful. The forms of copper, iron, manganese and other elements in the system are critical. For example, most adults have too much of the “amigo forms” of iron, manganese and even copper in their electron transport system. This damages the chemical reaction badly.

The so-called “amigo form” is an oxide, in most cases, and it is not the most active form or compound of the minerals. To read more about this, read The Amigos – Iron, Manganese and Aluminum on this website.

This is the basic mechanism of the electron transport system. It looks simple in the biochemistry books, but it is not, and the nutrients above, perhaps with others, too, are absolutely needed in the right amounts and proportions to make it work right.

schultz

For whatever reason, I find Koch's work fascinating. I've read through 2 of the papers you posted so far.

It seems that he was basically trying to correct improper oxidation of sugar.

"Ultimately, immunity depends upon a vigorous oxidation mechanism. Where there is a full oxidation of sugar, not only fats and protein products, but disease producing toxins, are also fully burned. Full normal tissue growth and full normal tissue function depend on this process."

My understanding of chemistry is quite poor but from what I read of his stuff it seems like his treatment is designed to convert or catalyze some of the harmful products of inefficient glycolysis (lactic acid), thus turning harmful and problematic products into carbon dioxide and water. The carbon dioxide would then also serve to normalize oxidative metabolism, partly by inhibiting lactate production. He mentions 'fats and protein products', which I assume, at least in regards to protein, is referring to ammonia. There are dozens of 'fat products' that are harmful and that we are all aware of, like prostaglandin and things like malondialdehyde, acrolein, etc.

"Glyoxylide or Malonide may condense with lactic acid and after dehydration and peroxidation of the unsaturated valences yield carbon dioxide and water"

I'll have to go back and listen to the Politics and Science episode where Ray talks about Koch. I don't think I understood most of it.

Edit: I wanted to mention that I also found it interesting that he talked about the intestine and 'toxic products' of the intestine. I guess he means LPS.

Birdie

I had just looked up Koch to see how long he lived. Koch lived to be about 82. Anyway, I've spent a few hours reading this history by "Koch's family". I see that what looks like homeopathic amounts were used in his diluted medicines.

I'd read a little of Koch in school and Ray talked of him so often. Now, I'm finally giving him some attention.

Last edited:

cremes

According to Wikipedia, he's a charlatan and a quack. Perhaps someone should update his wiki page to add that he was instrumental in understanding the electron transport chain. I don't know many quacks who did ground breaking research.

Birdie

According to Wikipedia, he's a charlatan and a quack. Perhaps someone should update his wiki page to add that he was instrumental in understanding the electron transport chain. I don't know many quacks who did ground breaking research.
Amazing isn't it. But, they'd just change it back to continue the coverup.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals