Dr Says I Have Borderline Low Testosterone

OP
I

Iron Man

I personally think it's best to get your diet dialed in first because adding a thyroid supplement can increase your nutrient requirements. Once you've got a solid nutritional foundation you may find some of your issues improve or resolve.

I never responded to thyroid properly until I had been eating well for several months. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's hard to balance hormones if there are underlying nutritional deficiencies or your body is trying to correct an energy deficit from not eating enough through practices like intermittent fasting.

Thanks @Blossom
I am onto all this right now and am sorting it out

OP
I

Iron Man

Have you thought about trying vitamin E?

Vitamin E: Estrogen antagonist, energy promoter, and anti-inflammatory

Seafood, milk, meat and eggs are good food sources, even more so if the animal feed is supplemented.

Stress hormones can turn DHEA into estrogen. Pregnenolone reduces stress reactions, but I would also look into other factors like undereating, lack of sleep, overtraining...

Have you tried red light or bag breathing?

I am not familiar with red light therapy and I have never done bag breathing...

Vitamin E - I have been on Tocomin for a couple of years already. Not sure why this is not helping me?

Giraffe

OP
I

Iron Man

Is Toco-sorb good enough for a vitamin E supplement? Has anyone tried boron?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is Toco-sorb good enough for a vitamin E supplement? Has anyone tried boron?
I'm pretty sure Peat prefers tocopherols over tocotrienols. I will try to find something to back up that claim.

OP
I

Iron Man

This morning I took my resting temperature (before getting out of bed and with a digital thermometer;

Orally - 97.59 ( 36.44C )
Under arm - 96.92 ( 36.07C )

OP
I

Iron Man

I came across cold pressed pumpkin seed oil. Looks like this has the tocopherols that people are talking about. The brand that I am looking at claims to be high in Vitamin E and they say it is good for prostate health.
What do people think? I have seen some comments on PUFA, but is 15ml twice a day anything to worry about? Cold pressed is also supposed to be the better method.

OP
I

Iron Man

@Blossom and @Giraffe

This morning I took my resting temperature (before getting out of bed and with a digital thermometer;

According to "Stop the thyroid madness, they say the healthy temp range is 97.8 – 98.2, so I am outside the range. I took my temps some time ago and it was low back then too.

OP
I

Iron Man

I use whole E from Health Natura. It's just mixed tocopherols.
Thanks. I am tempted to give the pumpkin seed oil a try. Based on what I have read, it looks very good. Maybe a little too good, to be true?

OP
I

Iron Man

Still researching :confused:

I came across this via Danny Roddy / Ray Peat;

Diagnostics summary with optimal ranges
Body Temperature - 98.7 - 98.6 Deg F
Resting pulse rate - 85 - 90 BPM
Total Cholesterol - 160 - 200 mg/dl
TSH - <1 uIU/mL
Carbon dioxide - ~ 30mmol/L
Serum calcium - ~ 9mg/dl
Serum Phosphate - ~3mg/dl
Prolactin - 4-7mg/mL (for males)
Parathyroid hormone - ~15pg/mL

Here are my results for comparison;

Body Temperature -

Resting pulse rate - 84 BPM

Total Cholesterol - 259 mg/dl ( 6.7mmol/L )

TSH - 0.5 uIU/mL ( 0.5 mIU/L )

Carbon dioxide - Not tested

Calcium ( Lab results do not say the word "serum" ) - 90.35mg/dl ( 2.34mmol/L )

Phosphate ( Lab results do not say the word "serum" ) - 42.5mg/dl ( 1.1mmol/L )

Prolactin - 5.2 ng/ml ( 110mIU/L )

Parathyroid hormone - Not tested

While looking through my lab results again, I saw that my calculated FTe was low ( 197pmol/L ). My AST was at the very top of the range and my ALT was way over ( 66U/L ).
The lab results say Euthyroid :). I am not thinking that my thyroid is normal at this stage.

Looking forward to people chiming in and giving more opinion. I am already working on the thyroid with going for more sleep and iodine. According to what I have also studied, I believe that I have estrogen dominance going on and will get on to some natural progesterone cream as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Giraffe

You measured it in the morning. If you check your temperature again after breakfast, it should be higher. Normally the temperature reaches its peak in the afternoon.