Dr. Ray Peat - Liver Health, Milk, Alcohol, and More Listener Q&A

AnonE

What are the cliff notes on alcohol? I couldn't find it on the timestamp. Wondering if there's some type or small amount that won't be awful for me... =P

What are the cliff notes on alcohol? I couldn't find it on the timestamp. Wondering if there's some type or small amount that won't be awful for me... =P
Oh it was about if champagne was safe, he said it is actually beneficial in a teaspoon (or less) amount, from the ethanol having antioxidants. There was no talk about anything more. It was in the first half for only a minute.

Vileplume

Some interesting Peat quotations:

"Irritation of the bowel necessarily produces irritation of the liver."

"Since high calcium intake turns off the parathyroid gland, it restores energy production."

"What you are most likely to notice when you're taking more than enough [thyroid] is that just standing up and walking across the room, for example, you'll feel increased warmth, and you'll be breathing harder, and temporarily get out of breath just for walking thirty feet or so. So your heart beats very powerfully and quickly, usually going 95-100 beats per minute, with a very hard, firm pulse... and you're very easily overheated and get out of breath, but you also recover your breath quickly."

Last edited:
I thought the dog with the gouged out eyeball growing a new one on an all milk diet was crazy!

AnonE

Oh it was about if champagne was safe, he said it is actually beneficial in a teaspoon (or less) amount, from the ethanol having antioxidants. There was no talk about anything more. It was in the first half for only a minute.

Darn, who's only having a teaspoon of champagne :p:

AnonE

And how do you preserve all those bubbles after opening it and using only one teaspoon?

Haha... Ok better question, let's say one was to deviate from peat-healthy principles for a night and have a few shots of something not-so-good (alcohol).

What would be a decent 'recovery' protocol? I've tried high-dose B1 and an extra multivitamin, seems to help.

Haha... Ok better question, let's say one was to deviate from peat-healthy principles for a night and have a few shots of something not-so-good (alcohol).

What would be a decent 'recovery' protocol? I've tried high-dose B1 and an extra multivitamin, seems to help.
I use to take a good multi-vitamin with lots of B vitamin before going to sleep and it worked wonders, but since switching to high end white tequila they haven't been necessary anymore. Good white tequila is so much kinder to your liver and such. Mexican food the next morning would be my cure to getting me feeling good quick. I never knew why, but now I think it was the beans sopping up all the excess estrogens, the protein and vitamin C from lots of salsa were curative too I'm sure :)

Kvothe

I use to take a good multi-vitamin with lots of B vitamin before going to sleep and it worked wonders, but since switching to high end white tequila they haven't been necessary anymore. Good white tequila is so much kinder to your liver and such. Mexican food the next morning would be my cure to getting me feeling good quick. I never knew why, but now I think it was the beans sopping up all the excess estrogens, the protein and vitamin C from lots of salsa were curative too I'm sure :)

I also recently started enjoying a little tequilla every evening. Which one do you drink? Patron is the best I can find here, but I actually don't have any idea whether it's really good since I've never been to Mexico to drink the real deal. I recently asked Peat about tequilla and he said this:

"It’s very pleasant, and might have small amounts of beneficial things from the maguey juice."
asked whether he had a favorite brand
"No, I like any that is slightly yellow."

I also recently started enjoying a little tequilla every evening. Which one do you drink? Patron is the best I can find here, but I actually don't have any idea whether it's really good since I've never been to Mexico to drink the real deal. I recently asked Peat about tequilla and he said this:

"It’s very pleasant, and might have small amounts of beneficial things from the maguey juice."
asked whether he had a favorite brand
"No, I like any that is slightly yellow."
Ha! Ha! Ha! That's a great Ray Peat quote, the "yellow stuff"! Well the "yellow stuff" is tastier, but dark liquors are WAY more toxic,and your liver will not be as happy as the Blanco. Check out the post from Jack Earth, which got controversially on the subject. PLEASE post your great quote! I posted all the pictures of my favorites there and tell why ?

Oleg

Ray actually said about a gram of PURE alcohol a day, which amounts to about half a teaspoon. Champagne being only 10% or less alcohol content, so an ounce he said would be safe.