Ray Peat Interview Dr Ray Peat - Blood Tests, Hormones, Protein Intake, & Ray's Carb List - Jodellefit

Care

Forum Supporter
I say no starches if you are trying to lose weight….

Thank you, Rinse and Repeat. I am lean but recently tried potatoes-it was nice and a way to get protein besides meat-am trying to reduce iron content. But jury is out on if beneficial-I do experience "some" joint pain eating potatoes. Much less now on Peating, but still--while they are delicious, I believe potatoes are not optimal for my overall health. Thank you again for sharing your many contributions on this site. So appreciated! :)
I am 53 year old woman, peri/menopausal, and adapting diet more so to meet my needs.

-Luke-

There are very few foods (probably only milk, gelatin, and OJ) that I have heard Ray Peat speak positively about as often as potatoes. For many years. I wonder why some people think he changed his mind on that.

There are very few foods (probably only milk, gelatin, and OJ) that I have heard Ray Peat speak positively about as often as potatoes. For many years. I wonder why some people think he changed his mind on that.
I haven’t heard him change his mind on the value a potato has to offer, only that they, like all other starches, should be avoided if one has digestive issues.

Sefton10

You don’t have digestive problems either, do you?
No, digestion has improved a lot since I went back to higher carb with more starches (sprouted oats, lentils, rice, masa etc.) and less protein.

Care

Forum Supporter
I haven’t heard him change his mind on the value a potato has to offer, only that they, like all other starches, should be avoided if one has digestive issues.
I decided to try potatoes again recently. I enjoyed eating them. I definitely had more body pain and inflammation. Noticeable increase and noticeable decrease when I stopped. Is not hard for me to eat what works. I get great, pleasure from plain food-it tastes delicious. But prior to Ray Peat, I used to douse everything with sauces, oils, etc., crave chocolate. Not anymore. For me, digestion improved means less body pain, clearer thought, better sleep. So whatever assists with that is in, and whatever doesn't, is out. Also is related to state of mind, hugely, but I don't want to go off topic. Potatoes, every time I try them, and think, "maybe this time" are forever and always a no-no for me. Great that others do well on them.

GreekDemiGod

Wow, Peat is only 85 years old! I’m just listening to the podcast. We’ve been living a lie, everyone was saying how he was closer to 90.

Dean

I wonder if Ray would consider yucca a better option than fruit these days? Milk, OJ , grape juice, potatoes and white rice all don't work for me -- at least as an everyday staple. You aren't going to get the calories/carbs needed with turnips and cabbage.

oxphoser

Wow, Peat is only 85 years old! I’m just listening to the podcast. We’ve been living a lie, everyone was saying how he was closer to 90.

Maybe if he's only 85 he will be around for a few more years. With his voice sounding so rough in the past year, I've been worried.

Maybe if he's only 85 he will be around for a few more years. With his voice sounding so rough in the past year, I've been worried.
Ray explained the rough voice as being a result of laryngitis in late 2021, which he suspected was caused by an allergic reaction to eating bacon that had been cured in celery juice powder, which is a very allergenic material. I think his voice has been a little deeper since then.

I decided to try potatoes again recently. I enjoyed eating them. I definitely had more body pain and inflammation. Noticeable increase and noticeable decrease when I stopped. Is not hard for me to eat what works. I get great, pleasure from plain food-it tastes delicious. But prior to Ray Peat, I used to douse everything with sauces, oils, etc., crave chocolate. Not anymore. For me, digestion improved means less body pain, clearer thought, better sleep. So whatever assists with that is in, and whatever doesn't, is out. Also is related to state of mind, hugely, but I don't want to go off topic. Potatoes, every time I try them, and think, "maybe this time" are forever and always a no-no for me. Great that others do well on them.
And think russets are cause more aches and weight gain than the baby Yukons and baby reds. I would still eat those if given the chance. I am with you simpler foods are so uplifting and have so much more flavor than say a casserole. I discovered that when I did potato fasts and just ate plain roasted baby potatoes all day. The are bursting with sweetness and flavor, no butter necessary!

People have known he was born in 1936 for a long time. Look at the "Ray Peat Birthday" threads, where forum users were wishing him a happy 80th birthday in 2016.

-Luke-

I never heard anybody say he was 90.
He once said during an interview with One Radio Network that he read on the Internet that he was 114. That was three years ago. So he is 117 now according to the website/person he mentioned. :D

Birdie

I'm the same but not just with potatoes but any solanine food. It's a controversy but apples seem to have it and every time I try them again - pain. Definitely worth the avoidance.

He once said during an interview with One Radio Network that he read on the Internet that he was 114. That was three years ago. So he is 117 now according to the website/person he mentioned. :D
He is a miracle! Everything is so funny to me today!

milk_lover

Great interview. He is recommending carb to be 7 times the amount of protein. You can reduce protein or reduce fat so you can reach high amounts of sugar/carb in the diet. From personal experience, in the days I eat far more carb than protein I feel the best. I see the beauty in life clearly. In other words, I become optimistic.

According to Peat, gluten protein looks similar chemically to the protein found in some harmful insects outer layer? I don't understand that part.