Ray Peat Interview Dr Ray Peat - Blood Tests, Hormones, Protein Intake, & Ray's Carb List - Jodellefit

Sefton10

what results were you having when training with weights then? what body fat are you, whats your muscle mass? how much protein are you eating now?
Roughly 50-60g a day for the last month or so, I’ve eaten 150g+ a day for years. Nothing has had a bigger impact on raising my temps, including taking thyroid.

GreekDemiGod

Roughly 50-60g a day for the last month or so, I’ve eaten 150g+ a day for years. Nothing has had a bigger impact on raising my temps, including taking thyroid.
Probably from improving your carb:protein ratio, which ramped up your thyroid.
Did you increase carbs or fats?

RPDiciple

Thats very cool. What about holding on to the muscle or gaining muscle? What have you noticed? Have you managed to gain strenght as well? And how advanced are you? What is your carb to protein ratio? What are your protein sources now. Im gonna try this as well after speaking to Ray as well. But im afraid of my muscle mass as well :)

SamYo123

Ray peating vegetables too now, broccoli, brussel sprouts, turnips, carrots, and couple others, and rice, veg for favorite carb source?

Sefton10

Thats very cool. What about holding on to the muscle or gaining muscle? What have you noticed? Have you managed to gain strenght as well? And how advanced are you? What is your carb to protein ratio? What are your protein sources now. Im gonna try this as well after speaking to Ray as well. But im afraid of my muscle mass as well :)
Muscle mass hasn’t changed at all as far as I can tell. I do a 6 or 7 exercise workout once a week, one set to failure, and strength is still increasing week on week. Carbs around 350-400g. Fat mainly from cocoa butter. Protein is around 10% of calories, mainly from sprouted lentils, egg yolks, and oysters/liver. I have some fish/mussels a couple of times a week. For info I’m 42. @Richiebogie and @Kvothe have some good insight on lower protein too.

RPDiciple

Muscle mass hasn’t changed at all as far as I can tell. I do a 6 or 7 exercise workout once a week, one set to failure, and strength is still increasing week on week. Carbs around 350-400g. Fat mainly from cocoa butter. Protein is around 10% of calories, mainly from sprouted lentils, egg yolks, and oysters/liver. I have some fish/mussels a couple of times a week. For info I’m 42. @Richiebogie and @Kvothe have some good insight on lower protein too.
Very cool
@Kvothe care to share your experience and stance on it? especially in regards to being active and want to build or maintain muscle ? and also if one wants to reduce body fat as well while still holding on to the muscle. Like what do you see as an optimal range of protein , and what about carb to protein ratio?

Kvothe

Very cool
@Kvothe care to share your experience and stance on it? especially in regards to being active and want to build or maintain muscle ? and also if one wants to reduce body fat as well while still holding on to the muscle. Like what do you see as an optimal range of protein , and what about carb to protein ratio?
Pretty much the same. I only work out casually and infrequently, but performance and the time needed to regenerate are significantly better on a low protein diet with sufficient calories. When I was still working out properly and eating the recommended amount of protein I always felt like ***t and never improved in any way. On a LPHC you can maintain your lean mass effortlessly, probably due to improved thyroid function and increased testosterone. Not sure, if you can transform into a monstrous beefcake this way, but if that's your goal, you need to readjust your priorities anyways.

YourUniverse

Pretty much the same. I only work out casually and infrequently, but performance and the time needed to regenerate are significantly better on a low protein diet with sufficient calories. When I was still working out properly and eating the recommended amount of protein I always felt like ***t and never improved in any way. On a LPHC you can maintain your lean mass effortlessly, probably due to improved thyroid function and increased testosterone. Not sure, if you can transform into a monstrous beefcake this way, but if that's your goal, you need to readjust your priorities anyways.
In your opinion, is it better to avoid protein or (saturated) fat?

Xemnoraq

These are always great but i kind of wish for Ray's sake they would bring him on the podcast to have free form 2 way conversations, i feel like maybe it feels shitty for Ray just to come on and answer questions all day in a take from him way, itd be interesting to see more podcasts where people ask maybe just a few questions but they mostly just let or ask Ray to speak about whatever he wants and just let the conversations flow wherever the wind takes it

Lizb

These are always great but i kind of wish for Ray's sake they would bring him on the podcast to have free form 2 way conversations, i feel like maybe it feels shitty for Ray just to come on and answer questions all day in a take from him way, itd be interesting to see more podcasts where people ask maybe just a few questions but they mostly just let or ask Ray to speak about whatever he wants and just let the conversations flow wherever the wind takes it
That would be good. I always want him to expand and keep going a bit. It never really feels complete.

I like Patrick's and Jodelle's interviews with questions so maybe Georgi and Danny's interviews could have a different format.

Last edited:

RPDiciple

Got it. Hehe no being a monster is not it :) but just also the ability to build some muscle and maintain them are the most important. So was wondering what type of range of protein is enough for that, if its enough with 50 grams or what type of range do you recommend. And also say if you want to build muscle, like how much does one really need extra a day? is just the talks of 1-2 grams say?

Sefton10

Realised I quoted the wrong Ritchie, it was supposed to be @Ritchie

Care

Forum Supporter
So now potatoes? Rice? Is this if someone is not trying to lose weight? I thought broccoli, brussels were irritating to the gut. I was surprised to hear this as an addition. I thought his stance was "no" to these, overall. I don't really understand what changed from listening to the interview alone. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

So now potatoes? Rice? Is this if someone is not trying to lose weight? I thought broccoli, brussels were irritating to the gut. I was surprised to hear this as an addition. I thought his stance was "no" to these, overall. I don't really understand what changed from listening to the interview alone. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
I say no starches if you are trying to lose weight….