Dr Peat perspective on some foods

johns74

I sent him an email about ghee a long time ago.

Is using ghee regularly for cooking OK? It would be an alternative for those without easy access to coconut oil.

Since I've never heard you mention it, I wonder if there is something wrong with it.

Ray Peat said:
Both ghee and butter are very good.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Personally I only use Ghee. But I'm concerned about the heat involved in making it that might damage its composition (PUFA, vitamins; for example) and also some brands use a sort of filter, like the ones used in coffee, that might retain/eliminate some nutrients.
Indian cuisine tends to be relatively agressive compared to lets say Japanese for example, that uses gentle preparation of foods. Another reason that concerns me.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

johns74 said:
I sent him an email about ghee a long time ago.

Is using ghee regularly for cooking OK? It would be an alternative for those without easy access to coconut oil.

Since I've never heard you mention it, I wonder if there is something wrong with it.

Ray Peat said:
Both ghee and butter are very good.

Johns,

Both of choices have unique properties, so it is hard to compare. The advantage of butter/ghee over Coconut oil is that they are fats related to reproduction and so contain more nutrients. If you want to achieve maximum nutrition with minimal calories, they are the best choice.
On the other hand, I wouldn't dismiss the Coconut oil due to its unique fat composition.

I think Peat considers coconut oil to be safest because of its consistently low PUFA content.

It seems the quality of ghee varies greatly like olive oil. Some analysis has shown ghee to have 20% linoleic acid (PUFA).
http://www.academia.edu/1018618/Analysi ... _pneumonia

As does some olive oil.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... ve-oil.pdf

20% PUFAs is a level I think Peat would describe as poisonous, especially since when ghee is made by subjecting butter to high temperature, the linoleic acid would likely be damaged in the process and become even more harmful.

That said, high quality ghee has PUFA levels almost as low as coconut oil. But I don't know of a good way tell the difference, other than (post facto) waiting for the ghee to spoil. If it stays good for up to a year at room temperature, it was high quality.

pboy

never mentioned saffron

ghee is alright but butter slightly better cause its less likely to be oxidized, the cholesterol

wine has the yeast estrogens and other toxins so it isn't ideal, but a little might be ok with an otherwise liver supportive diet

pat.chris

I just found your forum yesterday...and I'm not clear where to post this. Sorry
I had a phone consultation with Dr. Peat in about 10 years ago (yes, I'm old) where he told me about the lime-treated tortillas not causing the stomach to throw off stress markers. I took this to mean that they were ok to eat. As time progressed, since they were WHITE, I assumed they were NOT GMO corn. Are people saying that they ARE? At the same time I also got the feeling from him that if I mixed my bread dough the night before (and didn't add dough condition), the seed toxicity was dispelled. But maybe my thinking on this is out of date, too? I guess I badly need to get updated!
Thanks!
Pat C., newby - but trying to follow Dr. Peat for years

tara

pat.chris said:
I just found your forum yesterday...and I'm not clear where to post this. Sorry
I had a phone consultation with Dr. Peat in about 10 years ago (yes, I'm old) where he told me about the lime-treated tortillas not causing the stomach to throw off stress markers. I took this to mean that they were ok to eat. As time progressed, since they were WHITE, I assumed they were NOT GMO corn. Are people saying that they ARE? At the same time I also got the feeling from him that if I mixed my bread dough the night before (and didn't add dough condition), the seed toxicity was dispelled. But maybe my thinking on this is out of date, too? I guess I badly need to get updated!
Thanks!
Pat C., newby - but trying to follow Dr. Peat for years
:welcome pat.chris
I don't know how you tell if your nixtamilised corn/masa harina is GMO or not unless the manufacturer specifies it.
My understanding is that the seeds in bread are somewhat improved by the longer leavening time, but still have some downsides. Some people here eat slow yeasted or sour dough (mostly white) breads, some avoid all grains.

Dizzryda

Both of choices have unique properties, so it is hard to compare. The advantage of butter/ghee over Coconut oil is that they are fats related to reproduction and so contain more nutrients. If you want to achieve maximum nutrition with minimal calories, they are the best choice.
On the other hand, I wouldn't dismiss the Coconut oil due to its unique fat composition.

Could you possibly elaborate why you feel butter may give more bang for your buck assuming it's low pufa? Butter appears to have slightly more nutrients than coconut oil and slightly less calories. It definitely has more cholesterol as coconut oil seems to have none. I know ray says cholesterol is important for many things, sex hormone production being one.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Hi Dizzryda,
I didn't say it's better, both have their advantages. Butter/Ghee have more nutrients if your goal is to take nutrients with the least amount of calories. Coconut milk also has its benefits and can be used along with Coconut oil to compensate for its purity.

kiran

Amazoniac said:
Coconut milk also has its benefits and can be used along with Coconut oil to compensate for its purity.

The fiber in coconut milk can cause irritation, just something to watch out for.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals