Dr Paul Saladinos Blood Work (High T, Low TSH)

scoobydoo

So this was very interesting listening to.
On a recent podcast Paul Saladino listed all of his lab results. His total T was 800+ And TSH was .76!! Now cholesterol was very high and T3 was low but what I find interesting is that a high total T and low TSH indicate great gonadal function and lack of pituitary involvement. Haidut has mentioned that a high T value with a low free T is actually good indicator that the adrenals are not being used too much (again good gonadal function, and low stress horomones)

the low TSH was a big surprise to me but this also indicates there is low pituitary involvement even on his low carb diet (he has added honey to his diet)

Just curious what people think of this

orewashin

So you're saying carbs like honey lower TSH, and that's why his is low? Then people have high TSH on diets like Keto?

Vegancrossfit

Haidut has mentioned that a high T value with a low free T is actually good indicator that the adrenals are not being used too much (again good gonadal function, and low stress horomones)

nonsense from him yet again. Low free T is terrible period. If SHBG is high - which is expected from a diet like Saladino's - and that's causing low free T, then he's on the verge of feeling like total crap. Watch out for low T symptoms and how he definitely needs Testosterone Therapy because who knows what the excuse will be... genetics? If Saladino is energetic while free T is low, then he must be purely running on stress hormones, and is a ticking time bomb although honey is most likely saving the day for now. Mark "smelly" Bell and other internet fat quacks will certainly convince him to "just do T", "avoid any and all sugars", with a strong side of "just buzz hair off bro"

Low free T is low T and puts anyone at risk of low androgen and low estrogen sides. Been there done that, total T >800, normal DHT, free T flagged as low, E2 borderline low, solid TSH, free thyroid hormones bottom of the range. That's what happens on a low carb high fat diet.

OP
S

scoobydoo

nonsense from him yet again. Low free T is terrible period. If SHBG is high - which is expected from a diet like Saladino's - and that's causing low free T, then he's on the verge of feeling like total crap. Watch out for low T symptoms and how he definitely needs Testosterone Therapy because who knows what the excuse will be... genetics? If Saladino is energetic while free T is low, then he must be purely running on stress hormones, and is a ticking time bomb although honey is most likely saving the day for now. Mark "smelly" Bell and other internet fat quacks will certainly convince him to "just do T", "avoid any and all sugars", with a strong side of "just buzz hair off bro"

Low free T is low T and puts anyone at risk of low androgen and low estrogen sides. Been there done that, total T >800, normal DHT, free T flagged as low, E2 borderline low, solid TSH, free thyroid hormones bottom of the range. That's what happens on a low carb high fat diet.

But doesn't the fact that his TSH is low along with having total T high indicate that he does not have rampant amounts of stress hormones circulating?

Vegancrossfit

baccheion

What about other results? Free T, cortisol, DHEA, estradiol, SHBG, progesterone, etc?

OP
S

scoobydoo

His total T + low Free T indicates high shbg which indicates a stressed out liver

as of TSH, it isn’t a reliable indicator anyway. More about that here: https://restorativemedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Peripheral-Thyroid-Hormone-Conversion.pdf

He has the means and (supposedly) the knowledge to go for legit testing like Dutch + saliva. I’m expecting an MD slash influencer to know better and go for extensive panels, like Derek MorePlatesMoreDates does.

Right I agree, measurements such as Free T3 seem to be much better indicators of thyroid production. However I still don't understand how he can have such a low TSH value as this by itself indicates lack of pituitary hormone production yes? Maybe I am putting too much weight on this one value.

Do you think the DUTCH test is accurate? Mine always shows very low androgens (which match my symptoms) however my free T and total T are "ok"

OP
S

scoobydoo

What about other results? Free T, cortisol, DHEA, estradiol, SHBG, progesterone, etc?
Free T was very low. SHGB I think was in the high 60s. It would be really interesting to see what his DHEA-S and Progesterone values are

baccheion

Free T was very low. SHGB I think was in the high 60s. It would be really interesting to see what his DHEA-S and Progesterone values are
What was free_T / 0.02 (ie, effective total T)?

Sounds typical for keto/carnivore..

Vegancrossfit

SHBG in the high 60s isn’t good

it’s funny that he is transitioning from blaming carbs to blaming PUFAs. Whatever is good enough to justify extreme dietary choices and a new ebook maybe?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals