Dr.oetker

Snosh1

Right I know I've been asking loads of questions, last one promise;) but I have been taking dr oetker gelatine that comes in sachet form and usually have one and a half in my cup about 2-3 tablespoons. I can't find any protein or nutritional values on the packet and when I try ringing them up they only have a helpline in Germany. Is Dr oetker good quality and can someone tell me how much protein is in it? Thankssss:)

BaconBits

You can see the information on their site. I think its around 8grams of protein per 10 gram sacket.

But if your in Germany I think somebody posted a link somewhere to some great german gelatin manufacturer. Aspik or aspic or something like that. Its a lot cheaper also, because those sackets are super expensive.
Or ask you people on the .de forum.

I would not buy the gelatin but hydrolyzate instead because gelatin really messed my digestion up. If your digestion is not in tip top condition I would not eat gelatin.

I mean what could it be in dry powder, there just could not be any water. All gelatin powders are 80-90% protein.

4peatssake

Interesting how difficult it is to find nutritional facts for Dr. Oetker powder gelatin online.
One resource said 9.6 g of protein, others said the usual 6 g of protein per packet (about 1 TB)

The problem with the Dr Oetker brand of gelatin is that it contains sulphur dioxide.

You can purchase 1 lb of Now Foods Beef Gelatin for £7.70 at iherb.com, the UK store. It is £9.88 at UK Amazon.

Forum members from the UK may know of other options. It's definitely cheaper and better to buy in bulk and avoid any additives.

Amazon UK also sells Great Lakes gelatin but it is very expensive.

OP
S

Snosh1

4peatssake said:
Interesting how difficult it is to find nutritional facts for Dr. Oetker powder gelatin online.
One resource said 9.6 g of protein, others said the usual 6 g of protein per packet (about 1 TB)

The problem with the Dr Oetker brand of gelatin is that it contains sulphur dioxide.

You can purchase 1 lb of Now Foods Beef Gelatin for £7.70 at iherb.com, the UK store. It is £9.88 at UK Amazon.

Forum members from the UK may know of other options. It's definitely cheaper and better to buy in bulk and avoid any additives.

Amazon UK also sells Great Lakes gelatin but it is very expensive.
Thanks so I shouldn't use the dr oetker one then? I take it now foods is better and like you said the Great Lakes is quite expensive but I bet it's top quality. What is wrong with sulphur dioxide?

4peatssake

Sulfur dioxide is a skin and respiratory irritant, especially bad for asthmatics or persons with other breathing disorders.

The NOW brand is used by several forum members with success.

I found the German website BaconBits mentioned. It sells hydrolyzed gelatin as well as beef and porcine gelatin. Website is in German but you can translate with Google Chrome. ;)

Naumann Gelatine

I can suggest Abtei gelatine that is hydrolysed, very cheap and available in drugstores and DMs all over Germany.

4peatssake

I think Snosh1 is in the UK

J

j.

4peatssake said:

I don't like the NOW gelatin. It has enough of a plastic smell, at least the gelatin in the small 1 pound container. I prefer Great Lakes.

4peatssake

j. said:
4peatssake said:

I don't like the NOW gelatin. It has enough of a plastic smell, at least the gelatin in the small 1 pound container. I prefer Great Lakes.
I prefer the Great Lakes gelatin too.

But for a 16 yr old in the UK, Great Lakes is very pricey.

The Naumann gelatin may be a good option. The company appears to have strict quality control and offer certificates of analysis.

Source

OP
S

Snosh1

4peatssake said:
j. said:
4peatssake said:

I prefer the Great Lakes gelatin too.

But for a 16 yr old in the UK, Great Lakes is very pricey.

The Naumann gelatin may be a good option. The company appears to have strict quality control and offer certificates of analysis.

Source
. I think the Great Lakes is the way foward, how long would it last me?