Dr. Berg's Theory On Diabetes

Andreib

Hi all,

I would like to share Dr. Berg's theory on diabetes to hear your opinion on this matter.
Do you think he has uncovered the main underlying cause of diabetes or do you think there is another, even deeper reason?

Here is his quote:

"Sugar (insulin) inhibits thyroid hormone, increases cortisol. Insulin acts like a key, "unlocking" a cell to let glucose in as well as protein (why diabetics have weak muscles). Hypoglycemia (low sugar) – stems from lots of sugar long-term (or even adrenal gland where your protein is turned into sugar due to stress). Your pancreas overreacts to getting all this excess sugar out of your blood by overproducing insulin (to convert this sugar into fat), hence not much sugar. Overtime, your pancreas gets traumatized and no longer adequately produces insulin. Thats when your hypoglycemia turns into hyperglycemia (insulin resistance). In other words, eating sugar causes diabetes... Its not genetic."

fradon

that theory is based on the pancreas going bad. if it does not go bad then you would just get fat and never get diabetes.

that is one way but there are other people that say its fat build up in the cells that prevents insulin to enter also. this leads to insulin resistance

this is proven in the fact that many people on KETO are insulin resistance because their cells are full of fat and fat burning so if they eat glucose it will have a hard time entering the cell and being burned as fuel. but this is quickly reversable buy halting fat and eating carbs.

from what i've read the biggest thing is muscle development in order to give the glucose somewhere to go. if you eat sugar and you work out and lift weights. the sugar will get stored in the muscle, but if you eat sugar with little to no muscle then you have an issue. this happens to old people that get muscle wasiting disease. they eventually get diabetes because of the glucose having no where to go so they get inslulin resitance which raises blood pressure and this leads to diabetes 2.

OP
A

Andreib

Wow! Thank you so much for such an informative post! I do find the second theory you wrote about making more sense... So lots of harmful fats over the course of a lifetime is what "pollutes" the cells, causing the resistance, right? (and not so much the sugary stuff)....
Thanks again!

OP
A

Andreib

Very nice, jitsmonkey! Will definitely be reading that! Thanks!

jitsmonkey

Very nice, jitsmonkey! Will definitely be reading that! Thanks!

this is also relevant to your question in spite of it being framed in a weight loss context.
The Randle Cycle is for the most part universally ignored by people espousing information re: diabetes, insulin, etc.... Berg included.

fradon

Wow! Thank you so much for such an informative post! I do find the second theory you wrote about making more sense... So lots of harmful fats over the course of a lifetime is what "pollutes" the cells, causing the resistance, right? (and not so much the sugary stuff)....
Thanks again!

if sugar was the only culprit everyone would have diabetes.

OP
A

Andreib

Thank you so much, jitsmonkey! Super-fascinating stuff! Will definitely be sharing this with others I know who need help.
And fradon, can't go against that logic! Thank you as well!

jitsmonkey

Thank you so much, jitsmonkey! Super-fascinating stuff! Will definitely be sharing this with others I know who need help.
And fradon, can't go against that logic! Thank you as well!

You're quite welcome...
In the infamous words of John Winger (sorta)
"Raaaayyyy Peeeeaaaat, iiiiiissssss a madman, I wanna party with that cowboy"

Berg is a tool, remember that ;) and most of the people who blame everything on sugar: you know they’re frauds and quacks. Read Ray’s articles multiple times - welcome to the world of doctors who are better than blaming everything on sugar and preach their pro ketogenic absolute nonsense. As in, doctors who haven’t forgotten their biochemistry.

We could make a case for starch though. It’s absolutely possible to go low fat AND keep a stable blood sugar. It’s called eating fruits

Zigzag

Berg is a tool, remember that ;) and most of the people who blame everything on sugar: you know they’re frauds and quacks. Read Ray’s articles multiple times - welcome to the world of doctors who are better than blaming everything on sugar and preach their pro ketogenic absolute nonsense. As in, doctors who haven’t forgotten their biochemistry.

We could make a case for starch though. It’s absolutely possible to go low fat AND keep a stable blood sugar. It’s called eating fruits

I've tried ketogenic. Felt like absolute trashbag. I'll never remove carbs from my diet again.

Motif

Still I'm concerned cause I eat a lot of sugar.
Is there any tests that I could run every few months to prevent getting diabetic?

Just to feel safer...

Ulysses

Is there any tests that I could run every few months to prevent getting diabetic?

Just to feel safer...
Just buy a glucometer and track your own blood sugar

Just to feel safer...

Sugar is precisely the original treatment given to type 2 diabetics. Read the articles given to you by @jitsmonkey

It’s worth spending 1 hour sitting down and really understanding that the war on sugar comes from fraud wannabe scientists. And big industries which understood very well that targeting the best nutrient would be super profitable, leading to more disease and cravings.

Keep in mind Berg isn’t, has never been, and will never be an MD, or a PhD in biochemistry/anatomy/physiology. Just a quack.

Regarding bloodworks: fasted insulin, fasted glucose, hbA1c. If you only do one of those you get an incomplete picture

Motif

Thanks guys.

I never trust anybody blindly, so I will research, but the idea with the glucometer sounds good though. Have to do my homework on how to use this

I've tried ketogenic. Felt like absolute trashbag. I'll never remove carbs from my diet again.

Got pre diabetic on a ketogenic diet, by HbA1c’s standards. Look up keto friendly blogs they’ll say it’s not a useful marker.

Got ***t thyroid status on a ketogenic diet. Ask Reddit’s “ketoscience” about it they’ll tell you a high rT3 is only a nice and beautiful adaptation and it’s perfectly fine. Or blame genetics.

Got ***t hormonal status on a ketogenic diet. Ask Dom d’Agostino about sky high SHBG and he’ll brush it off because he can’t seem to acknowledge that liver glycogen is the best source of energy for the body. Or blame genetics.

Got a record high 290 mg/dL LDL 90 mg/dL HDL on a ketogenic diet. Keto bros say it’s Np, only trigs matter “insert some particle size and cholesterol is a myth” confused babbling. Or blame genetics.

Granted, I did it being lean, athletic, active. It may be a temporary fix for sick people.

Let me quote errrr... ATKINS:
“prolonged low-carb dieting tends to shut down thyroid function (...) diagnosis is made on clinical grounds with the presence of fatigue, sluggishness, dry skin, coarse or falling hair, an elevation in cholesterol, or a low body temperature.”

So my question is... why the fearmongering. And how do we all fall to it.

Zigzag

Got pre diabetic on a ketogenic diet, by HbA1c’s standards. Look up keto friendly blogs they’ll say it’s not a useful marker.

Got ***t thyroid status on a ketogenic diet. Ask Reddit’s “ketoscience” about it they’ll tell you a high rT3 is only a nice and beautiful adaptation and it’s perfectly fine. Or blame genetics.

Got ***t hormonal status on a ketogenic diet. Ask Dom d’Agostino about sky high SHBG and he’ll brush it off because he can’t seem to acknowledge that liver glycogen is the best source of energy for the body. Or blame genetics.

Got a record high 290 mg/dL LDL 90 mg/dL HDL on a ketogenic diet. Keto bros say it’s Np, only trigs matter “insert some particle size and cholesterol is a myth” confused babbling. Or blame genetics.

Granted, I did it being lean, athletic, active. It may be a temporary fix for sick people.

Let me quote errrr... ATKINS:

So my question is... why the fearmongering. And how do we all fall to it.

106 glucose reading on keto/IF (prediabetic)
Hypothyroid symptoms as well: TSH 3.5, FT3 2,86 (2,0 - 4,40 range), FT4 1,24 (0,93 - 1,71 range)

Now I'm trying to fix all that mess.

106 glucose reading on keto/IF (prediabetic)
Hypothyroid symptoms as well: TSH 3.5, FT3 2,86 (2,0 - 4,40 range), FT4 1,24 (0,93 - 1,71 range)

Now I'm trying to fix all that mess.

Keep the head up! Got my best bloodworks on a 65/20/15% split. LDL back down to 100. HbA1c back down to 5.4%. You’ll see improvements within 4 weeks. I’d go for lots of calories from whole fruit, some juice, tubers, low fat dairy. Maybe basmati if you’re very active. High minerals everything. Obviously less than 5g of PUFAs been a game changer.

I’m actually trying 70/20/10% and very impatient to get bloods done on such a diet. Very seldom been that high in carbs (and fructose). Acne already gone, energy is high, good pumps at the gym, shiny hair

Zigzag

Keep the head up! Got my best bloodworks on a 65/20/15% split. LDL back down to 100. HbA1c back down to 5.4%. You’ll see improvements within 4 weeks. I’d go for lots of calories from whole fruit, some juice, tubers, low fat dairy. Maybe basmati if you’re very active. High minerals everything. Obviously less than 5g of PUFAs been a game changer.

I’m actually trying 70/20/10% and very impatient to get bloods done on such a diet. Very seldom been that high in carbs (and fructose). Acne already gone, energy is high, good pumps at the gym, shiny hair

Oh man, acne is my nightmare :(. Good that you've been getting positive results!