Doxylamine Succinate

OP
M

MSH

Doxylamine still works for me at half a tablet 8 out of 10 times I would say for sleep.... The acetylcholine blocking effect has diminished and I feel less dopey the next morning..... I would not say I developed much tolerance ....

Unfortunately, taking DS is still the only way I can reliably get to sleep on time. I have no problems in the morning.

Frankdee20

Unfortunately, taking DS is still the only way I can reliably get to sleep on time. I have no problems in the morning.

Nice, you think it’s safe ? They said increased dementia risk of anti cholinergics

OP
M

MSH

Nice, you think it’s safe ? They said increased dementia risk of anti cholinergics
I have my doubts about long term use. But, I’m weighing that against the many known issues of sleep deprivation.

Since making a few diet changes my sleep quality has improved dramatically and I have had a few nights where I was able to drop off to sleep without DS. Also, I’ve been able to use a lower dose recently with the same or greater effect. But, some nights when I try and skip it I can’t fall asleep until 1-3 a.m. But, even then I am waking up more refreshed than I was previously before the diet change. So, all that to say that I have hope that I will eventually be able to get off of DS.

Ms.Orchid

My experience is the same. Nothing else has worked for me. I started out with a full pill, then moved to a half, and now I've been taking a quarter every night for over a year. I've tried not taking it, and my sleep immediately suffers. I was/am slightly concerned about the dementia risks, but figured that the raging insomnia had an even higher risk than the DS. A quarter pill does not leave me drowsy in the morning, though a half pill will.

Frankdee20

My experience is the same. Nothing else has worked for me. I started out with a full pill, then moved to a half, and now I've been taking a quarter every night for over a year. I've tried not taking it, and my sleep immediately suffers. I was/am slightly concerned about the dementia risks, but figured that the raging insomnia had an even higher risk than the DS. A quarter pill does not leave me drowsy in the morning, though a half pill will.

Yeah, it used to leave me in a stupor the next day, but no more and I stick to half a pill... I had asked about the risk, and I believe Hans had responded....

Mauritio

It helps a lot for sleep when nothing else does .
But it increases adrenaline and acid reflux the next day for me. So that can't be good long term .

If I use it regularly (more than 2 per week ) a tolerance seems to build. I only take when I need to sleep early, concerning is that if I take it too often, I can't sleep without even on those days where I normally could sleep .

Frankdee20

It helps a lot for sleep when nothing else does .
But it increases adrenaline and acid reflux the next day for me. So that can't be good long term .

If I use it regularly (more than 2 per week ) a tolerance seems to build. I only take when I need to sleep early, concerning is that if I take it too often, I can't sleep without even on those days where I normally could sleep .

I guess that’s histamine rebound, but it blocks H1, is that the acid reflux receptor ? Or is that H3 ?

Mauritio

Mauritio

It’s an antihistamine and strong anti cholinergic blocker of muscarinic but not nicotine receptors
Do you think that's the mechanism of action for helping sleep ?
It cant be just the anti histamine action as cypro has that as well and doesnt work as well as ds.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Do you think that's the mechanism of action for helping sleep ?
It cant be just the anti histamine action as cypro has that as well and doesnt work as well as ds.

This medicine has only those 2 purported binding sites, as antagonists.... Cyproheptadine is a lot more complex, and hits other receptors and not selective at all.

Mauritio

This medicine has only those 2 purported binding sites, as antagonists.... Cyproheptadine is a lot more complex, and hits other receptors and not selective at all.
Okay I will try to refrain from it, as I think it's making me fat and is bad for my gut health .

-Luke-

I take it from time to time when I can't sleep. It works for me. However, I think it is not good for the liver. When I used it very often for a few weeks, I had a feeling of pressure and slight pain where the liver is. After I stopped taking DS, the feeling disappeared after a week or two. I also always have a very dry mouth the next day after waking up.

Last edited:

Mauritio

How does it make you fat ?
I think it ***** up my gut and that makes less tolerant to stress which makes me more fat .
I suspect it has to do with lowering stomach acid .

alephx

Ugh, it is very interesting, I think it decreases whole body inflammation but I will never take it again though it was therapeutical, helping me raise my metabolism and even fix some skin issues from years (my nose was f**** and permanently red from sun and this somehow restored vascularity and its ability to heal itself). The main problem is it messes with my short term memorization, I actually feel as smart and creative as before, but it is weird how my crazy good memory is no longer as sharp. Take at your own risk. Btw, I would always take 1/2 the dose and try not to have consecutive days. I've maybe taken it 30 times tops in my life

koky

i've been taking DS for about 2 weeks and it helps sleep and sinus really well - but I've woken with a bad headache the last 2 days - I never get headaches
this worries me
anyone else?

LeeLemonoil

What are rays thoughts on DS when compared with say, cyproheptadine?

Cypro has some more „pharmacological“ effects. It affects more receptors and more unspecificaly.

I think Diphenhydramine is closer to Cypro than Doxylamine. Curiously, Diphenhydramine also has SSRI-properties.

It’s a good sleep aid too, anti-hay fever and improves erections / stamina

Ildikó

I understand.

after years of experimenting with peats inspiration, I’ve found that less and less supplements are actually helpful. Sometimes, there’s one that just needs to be taken consistently and I just kind of stick with it.

High Endotoxin and poor liver function are usually pretty big culprits for poor sleep.

I only actually require 2 supplements a day now. And if I was stuck on an island and had to choose one supplement, it would be DS. (And this is after experimenting with tons of big guns)
I am was so happy to read your comment. I just started DS for my sleeping issues. Been following Dr Peats reccomendations for over two years, but my insomnia, night time adrenalin surges did not seen to get better, regardless changes in my diet and so on... Taking bioidentical progesterone helped sometimes but i have also gained in breast size what i do not want. I am a postmenopausal woman, 62 years old, normal weight, have had total hysterectomy, both of my ovaries have been also taken out 3 years ago. Feels like a second menopausa.
Anyways i heve tried a lot of dietary and supplemental changes, keeping away from PUFA, eating fruits and veggies, healthy home made dishes etc. I also take a relativly small dose of t4,t3, day time temperature is good, heart rate is a bit low in the 60s. Taking DS is a huge help in my sleeping issues, i have to take it because i feel like the lack of sleep is much worse than taking DS. I have the Kirklands 25 mg which i devide to 4 pieces so i take approx. 6 mg before bed.

Velve921

I am was so happy to read your comment. I just started DS for my sleeping issues. Been following Dr Peats reccomendations for over two years, but my insomnia, night time adrenalin surges did not seen to get better, regardless changes in my diet and so on... Taking bioidentical progesterone helped sometimes but i have also gained in breast size what i do not want. I am a postmenopausal woman, 62 years old, normal weight, have had total hysterectomy, both of my ovaries have been also taken out 3 years ago. Feels like a second menopausa.
Anyways i heve tried a lot of dietary and supplemental changes, keeping away from PUFA, eating fruits and veggies, healthy home made dishes etc. I also take a relativly small dose of t4,t3, day time temperature is good, heart rate is a bit low in the 60s. Taking DS is a huge help in my sleeping issues, i have to take it because i feel like the lack of sleep is much worse than taking DS. I have the Kirklands 25 mg which i devide to 4 pieces so i take approx. 6 mg before bed.

I am happy that you have found it helpful. It seems like you’ve been experimenting for quite some time. If you are looking for the next tool to enhance your metabolism then I would look into EMDR. It’s the most potent tool for the metabolism I’ve found that has nothing to do with external substances.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals