Doxycycline vs. Amoxicillin? prescribed incidentally for ear/sinus infection but true goal has been to reap intestinal and other benefit

Advocate2021

Hello fellow forum members. I have been studying the threads diligently here on many issues, including utilizing antibiotics to balance the gut and body. I suspect that I would benefit from them utilized properly and coincidentally, I have been nursing a sinus/ear issue for the last couple of months and upon a routine physical today, the practitioner when looking in my ear said I need an antibiotic. This was fortuitous since I have wanted to explore antibiotics for improved intestinal and overall health so thought, wow, here is my chance. And I suspect the ear/sinus infection is related to the gut in the first place which still shows signs of imbalance despite improvement with sporebiotics and Peat integrations.

She was initially going to give me amoxicillin; but she changed it to doxycycline because I had a severe allergic reaction to augmentin (which contains amoxicillin) 6 years ago (although I believe my reaction was to the other component of augmentin-clavulanate- and not to the amoxcillin since I have taken amoxicillin in the past with no allergic reaction to it). I thought to explain that and get her to prescribe amoxicillin; but after reading the threads here, it seems there is much to be said for doxycycline. Plus, I really want to get rid of the acute infection in my sinus and ear and amoxicillin in the past has not worked for this type of infection for me and perhaps the doxycycline will work better and faster for the acute issue as well as confer benefits for gut health etc.? I believe the prescription would be 100 mg twice daily for 7 days which I know is higher than the low dose regimen discussed here as beneficial; but with an acute infection, wondering if the higher dose for the week is needed or if others have had experience with adjusting dose successfully even if taking for an acute infection and eradicating the infection as well as reaping the benefits of better intestinal health?

Would be grateful for your input on all this and opinion regarding choice of antibiotic under these circumstances as my practitioner is very amenable and will work with me and give me my preferred antibiotic - amoxicillin or doxycycline. Thank You.

Perry Staltic

Totally anecdotal, but I had a conversation with a doctor friend the other day about covid treatments. He started talking about doxycycline (which is used for covid) and what strong anti-inflammatory properties it has, and that if it were developed today it would probably not be classified as an antibiotic. Didn't have time to flesh that out, but next time we talk I will ask him to do so.

Perry Staltic

Totally anecdotal, but I had a conversation with a doctor friend the other day about covid treatments. He started talking about doxycycline (which is used for covid) and what strong anti-inflammatory properties it has, and that if it were developed today it would probably not be classified as an antibiotic. Didn't have time to flesh that out, but next time we talk I will ask him to do so.

This may be part of what he was referring to. Not just anti-bacterial, but also anti-inflammatory, antiviral and pro-ionophoric, depending on the dose. Doxycycline appears to be a very versatile drug.

Tetracycline and its derivatives (e.g. doxycycline and minocycline) are nontraditional antibiotics with a well-established safety profile, potential efficacy against viral pathogens such as dengue fever and chikungunya, and may regulate pathways important in initial infection, replication, and systemic response to SARS-CoV-2. ... A standard antimicrobial dose of doxycycline (100 mg twice daily or daily) was administered to the four patients in this case series. Doxycycline is unique among the many tetracycline derivatives, in that it has a clear dosing split between its cellular cytotoxic/antimicrobial effects (>100 mg) and its potential anti-inflammatory/antiviral/pro-ionophoric effects (40 mg).3,4,7,8,12 This may be an important consideration for low-dose doxycycline (20 mg twice daily) as a potential prophylactic treatment against COVID-19 infection.

T

TheBeard

All 3:
Amoxicillin
Azithromycin
Doxycycline

worked well to reduce my endotoxin symptoms.

However they work differently.

Augmentin:
Gives me huge night sweats the first few days and diarrhea, feel off during those days, then feel amazing.
That's because it's bactericidal and very effective at killing a lot of bacteria at once, and I Herx before feeling better.

Doxy and Azi:
Give me a huge sense of well being from day one, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Sleep like a baby from the first time onwards, gain a lot of muscle and strength too.
No die off or herxing on them.
I would say that's probably because they are more anti-inflammatory than they are antibiotic, even though an endotoxin reduction leads to an inflammation reduction obviously.

rr1

All 3:
Amoxicillin
Azithromycin
Doxycycline

Augmentin:
Gives me huge night sweats the first few days and diarrhea, feel off during those days, then feel amazing.
That's because it's bactericidal and very effective at killing a lot of bacteria at once, and I Herx before feeling better.

Doxy and Azi:
Give me a huge sense of well being from day one, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Sleep like a baby from the first time onwards, gain a lot of muscle and strength too.
I would say that's probably because they are more anti-inflammatory than they are antibiotic, even though an endotoxin reduction leads to an inflammation reduction obviously.
Thanks for this info. Have you had any experience with minocycline? If so, how does it compare to these? I'm guessing quite similar to doxy

yerrag

Since you have both sinusitis and an ear infection (otitis), I wonder if you're open to using chlorine dioxide as a treatment. But for you to do that, I would recommend you buy Andreas Kalcker's book, which costs about $18. His book has been banned from Amazon because he advocates chlorine dioxide as a treatment for COVID-19. So that you can use it correctly and not suffer harm, the book gives you instructions on how to make it. But if you choose to buy it, you can buy it in the US and have it shipped by land only, which means no Hawaii or Alaska shipping. I don't have the sites for you at the top of my head, but if you're interested going this route, I can look them up.

I have the book, and I can provide you with the Table of Contents to give you an idea of what the book contains, but I can't share it as it would violate Kalcker's copyright.

But if you take this route, though, you won't be using antibiotics. You won't be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone :):

Attachments

• Forbidden Health TOC.pdf
    195.7 KB · Views: 47

hierundjetzt

Way would one use an antibiotic for covid? Antibiotics are for bacteria and not viruses.

Perry Staltic

Way would one use an antibiotic for covid? Antibiotics are for bacteria and not viruses.

Doxycycline is not just an antibiotic. It also has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and pro-ionophoric properties, among other things, which all would be efficacious against covid..

Last edited:
OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

All 3:
Amoxicillin
Azithromycin
Doxycycline

Augmentin:

Doxy and Azi:
Thank you so much for this feedback. When you experienced the above-referenced effects from doxycycline, what dose and fequency of dose were you taking and for how long did you take it? Also what form-- tablet or capsule - and did you just swallow them the old fashioned way? With or without food?

T

TheBeard

Thank you so much for this feedback. When you experienced the above-referenced effects from doxycycline, what dose and fequency of dose were you taking and for how long did you take it? Also what form-- tablet or capsule - and did you just swallow them the old fashioned way? With or without food?

Doxy 100mg/day tablets
Azi 250mg/day tablets
Augmentin 1g x 3 / day

T

TheBeard

Since you have both sinusitis and an ear infection (otitis), I wonder if you're open to using chlorine dioxide as a treatment. But for you to do that, I would recommend you buy Andreas Kalcker's book, which costs about $18. His book has been banned from Amazon because he advocates chlorine dioxide as a treatment for COVID-19. So that you can use it correctly and not suffer harm, the book gives you instructions on how to make it. But if you choose to buy it, you can buy it in the US and have it shipped by land only, which means no Hawaii or Alaska shipping. I don't have the sites for you at the top of my head, but if you're interested going this route, I can look them up.

I have the book, and I can provide you with the Table of Contents to give you an idea of what the book contains, but I can't share it as it would violate Kalcker's copyright.

But if you take this route, though, you won't be using antibiotics. You won't be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone :):

Can chlorine dioxide be used to eradicate gut bacteria too?

yerrag

Can chlorine dioxide be used to eradicate gut bacteria too?
I'm not sure. When I took it for 40 days in the strongest dose at 90ppm at 1 liter/day which comes out to 90mg/day, I wasn't getting any gut discomfort.

So I guess it wasn't having much effect on aerobic bacteria swimming around in the gut stew. But I think much of the bad bacteria are hiding under biofilm, and these weren't affected by chlorine dioxide. If I had taken some biofilm disruptors before or together with the chlorine dioxide, it may be a different experience. As I would expect diarrhea to occur. But that's only if I still have a lot of bad bacteria hiding under a biofilm. In my case, I think I'd already done a good whack job on them with my use of biofilm disruptors together with a course of antibiotics last year (not that I needed to use them for my gut, but I had them for my blood vessels).

However, there is a section in the book about rope worms, and there is mention of success using chlorine dioxide for this condition. So, it would very well be useful, as rope worms are like biofilm but very thick accumulations of it coupled with other substances imho.

yerrag

I'm not sure. When I took it for 40 days in the strongest dose at 90ppm at 1 liter/day which comes out to 90mg/day, I wasn't getting any gut discomfort.

So I guess it wasn't having much effect on aerobic bacteria swimming around in the gut stew. But I think much of the bad bacteria are hiding under biofilm, and these weren't affected by chlorine dioxide. If I had taken some biofilm disruptors before or together with the chlorine dioxide, it may be a different experience. As I would expect diarrhea to occur. But that's only if I still have a lot of bad bacteria hiding under a biofilm. In my case, I think I'd already done a good whack job on them with my use of biofilm disruptors together with a course of antibiotics last year (not that I needed to use them for my gut, but I had them for my blood vessels).

However, there is a section in the book about rope worms, and there is mention of success using chlorine dioxide for this condition. So, it would very well be useful, as rope worms are like biofilm but very thick accumulations of it coupled with other substances imho.
I checked the Forbidden Health ebook of Kalcker, and I can't find mention of rope worms. It must have been mentioned somewhere else. Maybe Kalcker's website. Not sure.

yerrag

I found the mention of rope worm. True enough, on Kalcker's site:

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

From what I am finding, it seems low dose administration of benficial antibiotics is much different than higher dose regimens as is customary for acute infections when prescribed by a medical professional. However, people here, even after taking high doses for a course for acute infections, have reported that they experienced positive ongoing effects after treatment, particularly due to effect on the gut.

I am wondering whether they may have experienced the same relief on the lower dose,longer - term regimens that seem to be preferable and healthier or whether in some cases the higher dose, shorter -term regimens were actually better is some cases of extreme imbalance? And that if following a regimen closer to what Dr. Peat has shared with a few larger doses followed by smaller doses could be applied to the classically medically prescribed regimens and still clear infections while providing the other benefits that the low dose regimens yield? Or are the larger dose regimens necessary for active infections even if they are not life threatening. Opinions?