Doxycycline vs. Amoxicillin? prescribed incidentally for ear/sinus infection but true goal has been to reap intestinal and other benefit

T

TheBeard

I completed the 7-day course of doxycilcline yesterday morning. I do not think it worked well for me, other than possibly diminishing the ear infection (hard to know). I felt much lower energy and colder with it-- was getting a lot of chills during the week. It also has irritated my intestine and slowed it down. It is possible that it did something positive in the intestine--some sort of die off- and that there is an adjustment period-- I hope so. Otherwise it did what people clasically attribute to antibiotic use and disrupted the microbiome negatively. Perhaps occasional use of very low dose antibiotics as Dr. Peat recommends might enhance intestinal balance and everyone is unique of course; but for me bombing larger doses of antibiotics prescribed for infections does not seem to be the way to go.

Classic Herxing symptoms.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

Classic Herxing symptoms.
that would be great but since stopping, intestine still seems pretty irritated and not working as well as it had before the week of the antibiotic. But I am open to these symptoms attributable to continued effects of the killing off of bacteria and perhaps I will see the fruits of that once the immediate effects have calmed down. Yet many experience positive subjective symptoms while taking the antibiotic and I did not so considering that difference as well. suppose time will tell as they saying goes. thank you all for your input on this topic.

Perry Staltic

that would be great but since stopping, intestine still seems pretty irritated and not working as well as it had before the week of the antibiotic. But I am open to these symptoms attributable to continued effects of the killing off of bacteria and perhaps I will see the fruits of that once the immediate effects have calmed down. Yet many experience positive subjective symptoms while taking the antibiotic and I did not so considering that difference as well. suppose time will tell as they saying goes. thank you all for your input on this topic.

Recently an antibiotic I was taking tore my gut up. I stopped taking it and downed about 10 - 20 caps of the cheap probiotic you can get at Walmart. By the next morning everything was back to normal.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

Recently an antibiotic I was taking tore my gut up. I stopped taking it and downed about 10 - 20 caps of the cheap probiotic you can get at Walmart. By the next morning everything was back to normal.
what strains were in that product, do you know?

Perry Staltic

what strains were in that product, do you know?

I don't know, but it most likely had the usual acidolphilus and maybe some other things. I got it at Walmart so it was the usual Walmart stuff. I had stopped taking probiotics because I have my doubts that they do any good, but I didn't know what else to do, and it worked. I won't buy that stuff again, but do take bacillus coagulens now. I can tell a real difference with that one.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

I don't know, but it most likely had the usual acidolphilus and maybe some other things. I got it at Walmart so it was the usual Walmart stuff. I had stopped taking probiotics because I have my doubts that they do any good, but I didn't know what else to do, and it worked. I won't buy that stuff again, but do take bacillus coagulens now. I can tell a real difference with that one.
Thanks. Interesting.

Based upon my recent experience with the week of doxycicline at an infection-level dose, I do think it had negative effects on the intestine and in the case of taking that level of antibiotic in a short time, it might be appropriate to take those bacteria that are normally not reccommended here such as those that you took because the antibiotic creates a balance in the negative direction that would not be present under normal circumstances. bacillus coagulans is in the megasporebiotic I take but probably a small amount. I think you mentioned this strain in another thread and said you use the Swanson Brand? I looked at it and saw it had some excipients that were not the best.

Perry Staltic

bacillus coagulans is in the megasporebiotic I take but probably a small amount. I think you mentioned this strain in another thread and said you use the Swanson Brand? I looked at it and saw it had some excipients that were not the best.

I think the megaspore has 2 billion between 5 different species per 2 caps, so that means about 0.2 billion per species per cap, which isn't very much considering the Swanson's coagulens is 6 billion per cap (which is pretty high compared to others I've tried). I got the Swanson's because it was pretty cheap and I needed to fill out an order for free shipping. Didn't pay attention to the excipients. I've used other brands like Solaray (5 billion per cap); they used to be cheaper. Don't know what I'll get when the Swanson's runs out.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

I think the megaspore has 2 billion between 5 different species per 2 caps, so that means about 0.2 billion per species per cap, which isn't very much considering the Swanson's coagulens is 6 billion per cap (which is pretty high compared to others I've tried). I got the Swanson's because it's pretty cheap and I needed to fill out an order for free shipping. Didn't pay attention to the excipients. I've used other brands like Solaray (5 billion per cap); they used to be cheaper. Don't know what I'll get when the Swanson's runs out.
Thanks. thinking that might be the answer-- to add more of that to the regimen I am already on. so much here about contraindications of supplementing with any other bacteria, yet your experience and others seems to suggest that at times they are really helpful. Had seen a lot of good about L. Reuteri but then just saw this here A Common Probiotic Strain (lactobacillus) May Cause Lupus

So confusing

Perry Staltic

Thanks. thinking that might be the answer-- to add more of that to the regimen I am already on. so much here about contraindications of supplementing with any other bacteria, yet your experience and others seems to suggest that at times they are really helpful. Had seen a lot of good about L. Reuteri but then just saw this here A Common Probiotic Strain (lactobacillus) May Cause Lupus

So confusing

I think it's something that has to be empirically determined tempered with knowledge. Everyone's different so there really are no hard and fast rules. The only reason I started taking coagulens is because I got some kraut chips (below) at the salvage place and noticed that my movements improved. B. coagulens was one of the ingredients (never heard of it), so I bought some. I've been very pleased, and coupled with everything I've read about it makes me want to keep taking it.
850273005499_-_Frt_-_20180325_1024x1024.png

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

Please let me know if you find a pure sourse of ba
btw, coagulens produces L-lactic acid, not the racemic type of lactic acid that can cause acidosis. This page has info on 3 of the species in megaspore (I think it has clausi).

thanks. does not appear we can order from that company. looking at sources of coagulans too but please let me know if you find one that looks really pure and acessible to us.

Perry Staltic

Please let me know if you find a pure sourse of ba

thanks. does not appear we can order from that company. looking at sources of coagulans too but please let me know if you find one that looks really pure and acessible to us.

What ingredients do you consider impure? I think that company grows the stuff and sells to other companies who retail it. They have some info I hadn't read before that's why I shared it.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

What ingredients do you consider impure? I think that company grows the stuff and sells to other companies who retail it. They have some info I hadn't read before that's why I shared it.
swansons has these as other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), hypromellose (vegetable capsule), maltodextrin, silica, magnesium stearate.

silica not so good and some of the others not preferable.

solary has these: Full Body Support Blend 1,250 mg * (Inulin [Chicory Root], Bacillus coagulans [Supplying 5 Billion Live Microorganisms**], and Carrot Juice Powder. Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Vegetable Cellulose Capsule, Magnesium Stearate and Silica.

maybe even worse arghhh

will keep looking

Perry Staltic

Looking at excipients in 5 brands I've tried.

Doctor's Best - Modified cellulose, maltodextrin
88 Herbs - Hypromellose, mycrocrystalline cellulose, maltodextrin
Solaray - Maltodextrin, cellulose, magnesium stearate, silica
Swanson's - all of the above
Youtheory (also contains subtilis, clausi) - Vegetable cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable magnisium stearate.

Perry Staltic

swansons has these as other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), hypromellose (vegetable capsule), maltodextrin, silica, magnesium stearate.

silica not so good and some of the others not preferable.

I wasn't aware of those excipients being a problem when I bought it.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

I wasn't aware of those excipients being a problem when I bought it.
looked at a bunch more and they all flunk. sometimes I guess you might just have to just chalk it up to benefits outweigh the detriments. seems like doctors best you listed above has the least if those are only excipients.

Perry Staltic

looked at a bunch more and they all flunk. sometimes I guess you might just have to just chalk it up to benefits outweigh the detriments. seems like doctors best you listed above has the least if those are only excipients.

Yeah that's all that's listed for Dr Best. 2 billion CFU per cap LactoSpore MTCC 5856, 60 caps/bottle

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

Yeah that's all that's listed for Dr Best. 2 billion CFU per cap LactoSpore MTCC 5856, 60 caps/bottle
wish we could order direct from the supplier but so far, Dr. Best looks like the most pure so if I dont find anything better will probably try that one added the microbiome labs products I already take.

Perry Staltic

Haven't calculated to see if this is cost-effective, but this one looks interesting. No caps, just powder. Ingredients: Bacillus Coagulans -Lactospore(R), Non-GMO Corn Starch

Amazon product ASIN B07L6NZ5SK

That's what I'm getting next time. 1.42 trillion CFU for about double the cost of the Swanson's @ 360 billion CFU per bottle. So about twice the CFU with no excipients except corn starch.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals