Doxycycline vs. Amoxicillin? prescribed incidentally for ear/sinus infection but true goal has been to reap intestinal and other benefit

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

That's what I'm getting next time. 1.42 trillion CFU for about double the cost of the Swanson's @ 360 billion CFU per bottle. So about twice the CFU with no excipients except corn starch.
Thanks so much-- yes that looks like the purest formulation so far. wow-- wondering if it comes with instruction for getting a daily dose- what tsp measurement? 360 billion times 4.5 + 1.44 trillion? so would be getting almost four and half times the swanson bottle?

Perry Staltic

Thanks so much-- yes that looks like the purest formulation so far. wow-- wondering if it comes with instruction for getting a daily dose- what tsp measurement? 360 billion times 4.5 + 1.44 trillion? so would be getting almost four and half times the swanson bottle?

A comment on that webpage says a 500 mg capsule filled would be 25 billion CFU, which is huge. A teaspoon is about 5 grams, so 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) would be 62.5 billion CFU.

For the same money 2x what's in a Swanson bottle - 60 caps x 6 billion = 360 CFU/bottle @ around $14 (with 25% discount). So two bottles for about $28 = 720 billion CFU.

Last edited:
OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

A comment on that webpage says a 500 mg capsule filled would be 25 billion CFU, which is huge. A teaspoon is about 5 grams, so 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) would be 62.5 billion CFU.

For the same money 2x what's in a Swanson bottle - 60 caps x 6 billion = 360 CFU/bottle @ around $14 (with 25% discount). So two bottles for about $28 = 720 billion CFU.
sounds like a win. so then 1/32nd of a tsp (like the spoons we get with health natura products) would be in neighborhood of 7 billion. such a tiny amount which makes me think these other companies are filling up the capsules with a lot of the excipients.

Perry Staltic

sounds like a win. so then 1/32nd of a tsp (like the spoons we get with health natura products) would be in neighborhood of 7 billion. such a tiny amount which makes me think these other companies are filling up the capsules with a lot of the excipients.

Yeah closer to 8 billion. No doubt that most in caps is filler. Glad you asked about finding better stuff. Didn't even cross my mind that a powder existed, especially one that pure and cheaper.

Perry Staltic

btw, coagulens produces L-lactic acid, not the racemic type of lactic acid that can cause acidosis. This page has info on 3 of the species in megaspore (I think it has clausi).

Based on this interesting article, it would appear that bacteria which produce only L-lactic acid (like b. coagulens) are good to have in the gut in order to compete with bacteria that can produce D-lactic acid (like lactobacillus).

Within the colon, bacteria convert the increased carbohydrate load to lactate (both D and L isomers), which is then absorbed. The body has ample metabolic capacity, in the form of L-LDH, to deal with the abnormally high influx of L-lactate that results from this increased bacterial production of lactate, but only limited capacity to deal with the increased D-lactate load. Once that capacity is overwhelmed, D-lactate accumulates in blood and eventually acidosis develops.

Perry Staltic

Haven't researched it, but this webpage seems to indicate that Lactobacillus Bulgarians, Streptococcus thermopiles, Lactobacillus helveticus, and Lactobacillus delbrueckii are 4 other probiotics that only produce L-lactic acid (lactate).

Whether D- or L- lactic acid is produced will depend on the strains of lactic acid bacteria. Since the actual yogurt culture can vary there is no simple answer. You would have to look at the members of the culture used. Lactobacillus bulgaricus, L. helveticus, and L. delbrueckii will produce optically pure (99%) L+. If my memory serves correctly Streptococcus thermophilus will also produce only L+.

Perry Staltic

I'm tempted to do a little experimentation with probiotics that only produce L-lactate. This product has both Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. 25 billion cfu per gram. How did the Bulgarians learn to use only L-lactate producing bacteria?

Amazon product ASIN B06WRRP8C6

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

I'm tempted to do a little experimentation with probiotics that only produce L-lactate. This product has both Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. 25 billion cfu per gram. How did the Bulgarians learn to use only L-lactate producing bacteria?

Amazon product ASIN B06WRRP8C6
this distinction is really interesting as so many say that they derive benefit from species in other families other than bacillus. I wonder if it is due to the L-lactate varieties and if that could be a criteria for choosing which to take. thanks for this!!

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

this distinction is really interesting as so many say that they derive benefit from species in other families other than bacillus. I wonder if it is due to the L-lactate varieties and if that could be a criteria for choosing which to take. thanks for this!!
was looking for a list of D-lactate bacteria and found this.

Bifidobacterium as a genus does not yield D-lactate as a metabolic end product. Some Lactobacillus species do (Table 19.1 in Pot 2014). Among common probiotic Lactobacillus species, the following are classified as species that can produce D-lactic acid: L. acidophilus, L. gasseri, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (one of the 2 yogurt starter culture bacteria), L. fermentum, L. lactis, L. brevis, L. helveticus, L. plantarum and L. reuteri. Individual strains within each species may vary with regard to levels of D-lactic acid produced.

Perry Staltic

was looking for a list of D-lactate bacteria and found this.

Bifidobacterium as a genus does not yield D-lactate as a metabolic end product. Some Lactobacillus species do (Table 19.1 in Pot 2014). Among common probiotic Lactobacillus species, the following are classified as species that can produce D-lactic acid: L. acidophilus, L. gasseri, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (one of the 2 yogurt starter culture bacteria), L. fermentum, L. lactis, L. brevis, L. helveticus, L. plantarum and L. reuteri. Individual strains within each species may vary with regard to levels of D-lactic acid produced.

Interesting. The link I posted above says L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (same thing, different names) and L. helveticus produce optically pure (99%) L-lactate. I guess "can produce D-lactic acid" in the above quote means the amount of D-lactate produced is 1%.

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

Haven't calculated to see if this is cost-effective, but this one looks interesting. No caps, just powder. Ingredients: Bacillus Coagulans -Lactospore(R), Non-GMO Corn Starch

Amazon product ASIN B07L6NZ5SK
same company on the powdered coagulans has this one too. although 6 billion per gram, wondering if it would be easier to dose since the other is so potent.

Perry Staltic

same company on the powdered coagulans has this one too. although 6 billion per gram, wondering if it would be easier to dose since the other is so potent.

I'm glad you posted that. They show where the coagulens I wanted to get is made - China. No wonder it's so cheap. I'll pass.

It says this stuff is made in India, which I'm OK with.

T

TheBeard

Please let me know if you find a pure sourse of ba

thanks. does not appear we can order from that company. looking at sources of coagulans too but please let me know if you find one that looks really pure and acessible to us.

You can, just check out as if you were a doctor, there is no technical info needed.

T

TheBeard

I've just started taking doxycycline in two 100mg doses per day and after my recent success with kefir, I was thinking to add it to the regimen, either now or right after I decide I'm done with doxy. Kefir is complex and wonderful, I wouldn't be surprised if it contained biofilm disruptors, or otherwise conferred additional benefit to an antibiotic regime. Kefir helped me on its own and got me thinking about gut flora as a source of constant misery. @Jib

Why did you start Doxy if you had success with Kefir?

OP
Advocate2021

Advocate2021

From what I am finding from Dr. Peat and others, it does not seem that traditional antibiotic doses given for infections are what is recommended for benifical effects in the gut. It has been over a month since I completed a 7-day course of dosxycicline 100 mg twice per day for an ear infection and I am still feeling the detrimental effects of it in my intestine. My intestine was definitely functioning much better before the course. Just about the time I started it I had wanted to experiment with using an antibiotic as Dr. Peat recommends; but incidentally had develped an ear and sinus infection after a series of allergic reactions when I had stopped taking an antihistamine for a period of time. Not sure where to go with the idea to experiment with a short course of lower dose antibiotic now since I did an infection level course instead - not sure doing more anitbiotics at this point will be helpful .

Curious on input about that scenrio-when one has done a much larger dose for a week and feels detrmental rather than positive effects, would that contraindicate now trying the "right way"? I feel that the large doses as prescribed for infections have a detrimenal effect on the gut for me; whereas the smaller dose regimen could be of benefit but not sure if that applies after using a much larger amount in a short time.

T

TheBeard

From what I am finding from Dr. Peat and others, it does not seem that traditional antibiotic doses given for infections are what is recommended for benifical effects in the gut. It has been over a month since I completed a 7-day course of dosxycicline 100 mg twice per day for an ear infection and I am still feeling the detrimental effects of it in my intestine. My intestine was definitely functioning much better before the course. Just about the time I started it I had wanted to experiment with using an antibiotic as Dr. Peat recommends; but incidentally had develped an ear and sinus infection after a series of allergic reactions when I had stopped taking an antihistamine for a period of time. Not sure where to go with the idea to experiment with a short course of lower dose antibiotic now since I did an infection level course instead - not sure doing more anitbiotics at this point will be helpful .

Curious on input about that scenrio-when one has done a much larger dose for a week and feels detrmental rather than positive effects, would that contraindicate now trying the "right way"? I feel that the large doses as prescribed for infections have a detrimenal effect on the gut for me; whereas the smaller dose regimen could be of benefit but not sure if that applies after using a much larger amount in a short time.

It's the die off.
I'm sure you haven't flushed your bowel since starting and your intestine is a mess full of dead bacteria releasing toxins and causing your digestive issues.

When on antibiotics take espsom salts at least twice a week to flush your bowels and eliminate dead bacteria