Doxycycline Prescription Easy Way. Malaria Prophylaxis

According to CDC CDC - Malaria - Travelers - Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria doxycycline could be an effective prevention of malaria.

There is a list of countries and regions with guidelines to choose a drug of prophylaxis or treatment.
Yellow Fever Vaccine & Malaria Prophylaxis Information, by Country - Chapter 3 - 2018 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC

Just inform your doctor about your plans to travel lets say to Brazil. Your doc have to check this guideline and find this:
Brazil
Malaria
Areas with malaria: All areas of the states of Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Rondonia, and Roraima. Also present in the states of Maranhão, Mato Grosso, and Para, but rare cases in their capital cities. Rare cases in the rural areas of the states of Espirito Santo, Goias, Mato Grosso do Sul, Piaui, and Tocantins. Rare cases in the rural forested areas of the states of Rio de Janeiro and São Paolo. No malaria in the cities of Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, São Paolo, and none at Iguaçu Falls (see Map 3-21).

Drug resistance3: Chloroquine.

Malaria species: P. vivax 85%, P. falciparum 15%.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: States of Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Rondonia, and Roraima. States of Maranhão, Mato Grosso, and Para (but not their capital cities): Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or tafenoquine.4 Areas with rare cases: None (practice mosquito avoidance).

The first link says that regime is:

Doxycycline
Adults: 100 mg daily.
Children: ≥8 years old: 2.2 mg/kg (maximum is adult dose) daily. Begin 1-2 days before travel, daily during travel, and for 4 weeks after leaving.

So a week long trip leaves your with 35+ doxy caps 100mg each.

And of coarse your doc has to be informed that a friend of yours who already has done this trip and Atovaquone/Proguanil prophylaxis has ruined his trip due side effects. Any way get your self familiar with the links to be informed. And I wish you happy trip:grin

Santosh

According to CDC CDC - Malaria - Travelers - Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria doxycycline could be an effective prevention of malaria.

There is a list of countries and regions with guidelines to choose a drug of prophylaxis or treatment.
Yellow Fever Vaccine & Malaria Prophylaxis Information, by Country - Chapter 3 - 2018 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC

Just inform your doctor about your plans to travel lets say to Brazil. Your doc have to check this guideline and find this:
Brazil
Malaria
Areas with malaria: All areas of the states of Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Rondonia, and Roraima. Also present in the states of Maranhão, Mato Grosso, and Para, but rare cases in their capital cities. Rare cases in the rural areas of the states of Espirito Santo, Goias, Mato Grosso do Sul, Piaui, and Tocantins. Rare cases in the rural forested areas of the states of Rio de Janeiro and São Paolo. No malaria in the cities of Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, São Paolo, and none at Iguaçu Falls (see Map 3-21).

Drug resistance3: Chloroquine.

Malaria species: P. vivax 85%, P. falciparum 15%.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: States of Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Rondonia, and Roraima. States of Maranhão, Mato Grosso, and Para (but not their capital cities): Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or tafenoquine.4 Areas with rare cases: None (practice mosquito avoidance).

The first link says that regime is:

Doxycycline
Adults: 100 mg daily.
Children: ≥8 years old: 2.2 mg/kg (maximum is adult dose) daily. Begin 1-2 days before travel, daily during travel, and for 4 weeks after leaving.

So a week long trip leaves your with 35+ doxy caps 100mg each.

And of coarse your doc has to be informed that a friend of yours who already has done this trip and Atovaquone/Proguanil prophylaxis has ruined his trip due side effects. Any way get your self familiar with the links to be informed. And I wish you happy trip:grin

I'm soon due to go to a country where Malaria is wide spread, and every one has been recommending Malarone.
I'm obviously in favor of doxycycline.

What are the side effects of Malarone that "ruined the trip" ?

OP
methylenewhite
I'm soon due to go to a country where Malaria is wide spread, and every one has been recommending Malarone.
I'm obviously in favor of doxycycline.

What are the side effects of Malarone that "ruined the trip" ?
GI Effects
Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea reported in 8–12% of adults receiving atovaquone/proguanil for treatment of uncomplicated malaria; vomiting reported in up to 19% of children.

Atovaquone absorption reduced in patients with vomiting or diarrhea. Monitor for parasitemia and consider use of an antiemetic agent. (See Specific Drugs under Interactions.)

If severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea occurs, consider alternative antimalarial.

Santosh

GI Effects
Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea reported in 8–12% of adults receiving atovaquone/proguanil for treatment of uncomplicated malaria; vomiting reported in up to 19% of children.

Atovaquone absorption reduced in patients with vomiting or diarrhea. Monitor for parasitemia and consider use of an antiemetic agent. (See Specific Drugs under Interactions.)

If severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea occurs, consider alternative antimalarial.

To be honest, you'd get just as much if not more GI distress with doxycycline.

I would be more weary of permanent damages to other organs with Malarone.
Have you heard of any ?

OP
methylenewhite
To be honest, you'd get just as much if not more GI distress with doxycycline.
Well my post originally is about doxy prescription and not about malaria. Check guidelines for that place you are going to and decide for yourself.

Santosh

Well my post originally is about doxy prescription and not about malaria. Check guidelines for that place you are going to and decide for yourself.

If a forum like this exist, you very well know it's because no medical guideline can be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom