Doxycycline , intestinal health, hypertension

paymanz

Changes in Gut Microbiota Induced by Doxycycline Influence in Vascular Function and Development of Hypertension in DOCA-Salt Rats

DOX decreased lactate-producing bacterial population and plasma lactate levels, improved gut barrier integrity, normalized endotoxemia, plasma noradrenaline levels and restored the Treg content in aorta. These data demonstrate that DOX through direct effects on gut microbiota and its non-microbial effects (anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory) reduces endothelial dysfunction and the increase in blood pressure in this low-renin form of hypertension.

Frankdee20

Changes in Gut Microbiota Induced by Doxycycline Influence in Vascular Function and Development of Hypertension in DOCA-Salt Rats

DOX decreased lactate-producing bacterial population and plasma lactate levels, improved gut barrier integrity, normalized endotoxemia, plasma noradrenaline levels and restored the Treg content in aorta. These data demonstrate that DOX through direct effects on gut microbiota and its non-microbial effects (anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory) reduces endothelial dysfunction and the increase in blood pressure in this low-renin form of hypertension.
I took a 7 day course of augmentin (doxy with the clauvaunic acid) for tooth infection and my gut has never been better.

EvanHinkle

Yeah, have to agree on doxy. Best antibiotic substance I’ve ever used. Great for my gut, skin, and overall metabolic energy/sense of well-being.

I took a 7 day course of augmentin (doxy with the clauvaunic acid) for tooth infection and my gut has never been better.
There is no such thing. Augmentin is ampicillin with clavulanate. Your message is misleading

Nokoni

"5. Conclusions
Taken together, the results presented in this study demonstrate that antibiotic treatment with DOX in DOCA-salt hypertension aid the improvement of endothelium-dependent relaxation and significantly reduces blood pressure. These protective effects seem to be associated, at least in part, with a decrease in the vascular oxidative stress; by restoring the expression of NOX subunits to normal values resulting in an improved gut barrier function and lower plasma levels of lactate, LPS and vascular proinflammatory cytokines. In addition, the increased vascular Tregs accumulation contributed to the vascular protective effects of DOX. Thus, in this study, we noted that tetracycline DOX through direct effects on gut microbiota and its anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties may help reduce the vascular dysfunction associated with DOCA-salt hypertension. We therefore concluded that understanding the impact of broad-spectrum antibiotics on gut microbiota and knowing its non-microbial effects on gut barrier and vascular wall can significantly help guide appropriate treatment strategies for patients with low renin hypertension."

Results were obtained using a particular model of hypertension in rats, but the beneficial effects were so widespread that it seems likely, at least to me, that they would be more broadly applicable. Wonderful study. Many thanks.

LadyRae

I have a bottle of 100mg capsules in transit. For those with experience, how should I dose myself?

I am a 45 year old female that weighs 130 lb

Is it best to take it with food or on an empty stomach?

@EvanHinkle

LadyRae

@Frankdee20
How about that Tooth? Did it significantly improve? (Ive been using Amoxicillin)

Thanks for the feedback either way.
I had an infected periodontal pocket in the summer of 2021 that I healed with topical methylene blue drops and a week-long round of amoxicillin

brightside

I have a bottle of 100mg capsules in transit. For those with experience, how should I dose myself?

@EvanHinkle
Nevermind, judging by the dose, its doxy. If you want to completely eliminate the potential for bacterial resistance, try 25mg. It's still a good anti-inflammatory at that dose.

Calcium, magnesium and some other things can block it, so I think it's best on an empty stomach. It does irritate mucous membranes, though, so it's not recommended to lay day down right after taking it, and drinking tons of water is smart

brightside

Yes, Doxy, as per thread title. Do you think one capsule in the morning and one at night on an empty stomach?
I wrote another reply just after that one.

You could do that, yeah. With enough water, and not too close to bed (atleast 30 min)

@EvanHinkle
Doxy could be taken with food but not with milk or calcium rich food. Don't take it with antacids too. Messing up with gut flora is always a lottery. On this forum some people tend to think about ABs as panacea but they are definitely not. It's partially based on unavailability of OTC ABs in US and other developed countries. I'm my opinion doxy is worth to try in subantimicrobial doses like less than 25 mg. I ran lots of doxy and other ABs for cycles for various health issues to only conclude that they only bring more issues and are detrimental long term.

LadyRae

Doxy could be taken with food but not with milk or calcium rich food. Don't take it with antacids too. Messing up with gut flora is always a lottery. On this forum some people tend to think about ABs as panacea but they are definitely not. It's partially based on unavailability of OTC ABs in US and other developed countries. I'm my opinion doxy is worth to try in subantimicrobial doses like less than 25 mg. I ran lots of doxy and other ABs for cycles for various health issues to only conclude that they only bring more issues and are detrimental long term.
I'm trying it for skin health. My daughter has a topical face cream that has clindamycin in it but it has been too harsh for me... It will make my skin look really good for a few days but then it starts to burn around my nose so I can't use it, but I think that the antibiotic itself is doing some good for my skin.

I'm speculating that ingesting the antibiotic will get around my sensitive skin issue

Perry Staltic

FWIW might be good to supplement when taking doxy. At least be aware of what it depletes.

View: https://twitter.com/raymondnichols_/status/1627326276464771072

FpcBk83aIAUKiCa