Doxycycline Inhibits Cancer Stem Cell-Like Properties via PAR1/FAK/PI3K/AKT Pathway in Pancreatic Cancer

Orome

Forum Supporter
The evidence accumulates that Doxycyline (and most likely Tetracylines in general) have a lot of beneficial effects beside the standard antibiotic. I for myself got particularly interested in it since it cured my very severe heartburn issues together with a chronic laryngitis from which I was suffering for more than a year. On some days I was even spitting blood because of it. 2 weeks of Doxycycline cured both and since then I never had an issue again. 100% symptom free now.
Obviously I was very happy about it but also very angry that something as simple and non-invasive could do the trick where dozens of doctor visits could not. The only thing the white coats could do was prescribe mega dosages of omeprazole which (of course) did nothing for my symptoms.

But anyway, this study indicates that Doxycycline could be also benefical for much more servere conditions:
Doxycycline Inhibits Cancer Stem Cell-Like Properties via PAR1/FAK/PI3K/AKT Pathway in Pancreatic Cancer

Abstract​

Pancreatic cancer stem cells (CSCs) play an important role in the promotion of invasion and metastasis of pancreatic cancer. Protease activation receptor 1 (PAR1) is closely related to malignant progression of tumors, however, its effects on pancreatic cancer stem cell-like (CSC-like) properties formation have not been reported. In this work, the effects of PAR1 on pancreatic cancer stem cell-like (CSC-like) properties formation were studied. PAR1 overexpression can induce CSC-like properties in Aspc-1 cells, whereas interference of PAR1 in Panc-1 cells showed the contrary results. Data on patients with pancreatic cancer obtained from TCGA showed that high PAR1 expression and focal adhesion kinase (FAK) protein considerably affect the prognosis of patients. Further experiments showed that PAR1 could regulate FAK, PI3K, and AKT phosphorylation and the epithelial-mesenchymal transformation (EMT) in Aspc-1 and Panc-1 cells. Doxycycline, as a PAR1 inhibitor, could effectively inhibit the CSC-like properties of pancreatic cancer cells and the FAK/PI3K/AKT pathway activation. Doxycycline inhibits the growth of pancreatic cancer and enhances the treatment effect of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) in Panc-1 xenograft mouse model. In conclusion, PAR1 promotes the CSC-like properties and EMT of pancreatic cancer cells via the FAK/PI3K/AKT pathway. Doxycycline inhibits the pancreatic cancer through the PAR1/FAK/PI3K/AKT pathway and enhances the therapeutic effect of 5-FU.

Perry Staltic

Doctors are slaves of big pharma and insurance companies. They knoweth not what they do. A doctor friend of mine, though, told me that if doxy were developed today it probably wouldn't be classified as an antibiotic.

Doxycycline is unique among the many tetracycline derivatives, in that it has a clear dosing split between its cellular cytotoxic/antimicrobial effects (>100 mg) and its potential anti-inflammatory/antiviral/pro-ionophoric effects (40 mg).3,4,7,8,12 This may be an important consideration for low-dose doxycycline (20 mg twice daily) as a potential prophylactic treatment against COVID-19 infection.

OP
Orome

Orome

Forum Supporter
Doctors are slaves of big pharma and insurance companies. They knoweth not what they do. A doctor friend of mine, though, told me that if doxy were developed today it probably wouldn't be classified as an antibiotic.

Fascinating - thanks for sharing.
About its benefical effects on corona virus I have also read a lot. But it's the same as with any other (potential) remedy which is NOT a vaccine. The effectiveness is downplayed and attempted to be refuted immediately (see other substances like Artemisia, Hydroxychloroquine...).

In Germany a major news outlet (which is funded by the government) recently published an article which said something like "A strong immune system is nice to have but totally useless for Covid. The only thing that can save you is the vaccine". And the fools (=readers) nodding this nonsense off just like that :doh

Mito

The evidence accumulates that Doxycyline (and most likely Tetracylines in general) have a lot of beneficial effects beside the standard antibiotic. I for myself got particularly interested in it since it cured my very severe heartburn issues together with a chronic laryngitis from which I was suffering for more than a year. On some days I was even spitting blood because of it. 2 weeks of Doxycycline cured both and since then I never had an issue again. 100% symptom free now.
Obviously I was very happy about it but also very angry that something as simple and non-invasive could do the trick where dozens of doctor visits could not. The only thing the white coats could do was prescribe mega dosages of omeprazole which (of course) did nothing for my symptoms.
What made you decide to try doxycycline for heartburn?

OP
Orome

Orome

Forum Supporter
What made you decide to try doxycycline for heartburn?
I mainly wanted to rule out an underlying bacterial infection (like H pylori). Furthermore I think it was one of the few remaining things to try (over the course of a year you can try a lot and I think I tried every suggestion ever mentioned in this forum by someone ;) ).
What I can 100% rule out however is that the problem was caused by too much stomach acid (PPIs and baking soda didn't work at all).

And as for Doxycycline the best thing is that it gives me no side effects whatsoever. In contrast whenever I got a random prescription antibiotic (Ciprofloxacin for example) from my doctor it always gave me diarrhea or at least loose stools after 2-3 days. Doxy on the other hand even seem to improve my digestion even if I take it for a month. So this is definitely my go-to antibiotic at the moment ;).

Birdie

I mainly wanted to rule out an underlying bacterial infection (like H pylori). Furthermore I think it was one of the few remaining things to try (over the course of a year you can try a lot and I think I tried every suggestion ever mentioned in this forum by someone ;) ).
What I can 100% rule out however is that the problem was caused by too much stomach acid (PPIs and baking soda didn't work at all).

And as for Doxycycline the best thing is that it gives me no side effects whatsoever. In contrast whenever I got a random prescription antibiotic (Ciprofloxacin for example) from my doctor it always gave me diarrhea or at least loose stools after 2-3 days. Doxy on the other hand even seem to improve my digestion even if I take it for a month. So this is definitely my go-to antibiotic at the moment ;).
So, we use doxycycline with a pulse routine. 50mg three times a week. But, I admit that I forget sometimes. Also, I've stopped purposely for a week here and there.
so, it's not been consistent. I use it for fibromyalgia. My husband for general inflammation. Ray has said doxy is safe although I think he says minocycline is better.

Maybe we should try a larger dose. My husband's voice is frail. I know our dose is low and I mainly chose it on advice I'd read for fibromyalgia..

Birdie

Thank you for these. They show the standard dose is 100mg twice a day. I'll assume 2 weeks. That must be the dose @Orome used and is certainly worth a try.

OP
Orome

Orome

Forum Supporter
Thank you for these. They show the standard dose is 100mg twice a day. I'll assume 2 weeks. That must be the dose @Orome used and is certainly worth a try.

Indeed I started with 100 mg twice a day (morning + evening). After about one week I reduced to 100 mg once a day (in the morning) and continued to take it for another 3 weeks.
I wish you good luck (it's never easy).

Birdie

Indeed I started with 100 mg twice a day (morning + evening). After about one week I reduced to 100 mg once a day (in the morning) and continued to take it for another 3 weeks.
I wish you good luck (it's never easy).
Thank you. Big help.

Don

Thanks, does anyone know if its possible to buy doxycycline online without prescrip ?