Doxycycline Impairs Cardiac Mitochondrial and Contractile Function

bobbity

Mice treated with doxycycline showed mitochondrial complex I dysfunction, reduced OXPHOS capacity and impaired diastolic function. Doxycycline exacerbated diastolic dysfunction and reduced ejection fraction in a diabetes mouse model vulnerable for metabolic derangements. We therefore conclude that doxycycline impairs mitochondrial function and causes cardiac dysfunction.

Contradicted by,

Protecting mitochondria from oxidative stress, and the regulation of mitochondrial dynamics by drugs that shift the balance toward fusion, could be a novel therapeutic approach for heart failure. On the basis of our findings, we raise the possibility that DOX could be a novel therapeutic agent in the future treatment of heart failure.

I am rather dubious about the former study, I wonder any forum members might have some insights regarding this issue (looking at you @haidut )

yerrag

Considering that the mitochondria used to be a bacteria that developed from two prokaryotic cells into a eukaryotic cell, and that tetracycline a class antibiotics suppress bacterial multiplication, and bacteria are prokaryotic cells, one cannot discount the negative effect of using doxycycline on the mitochondria. So I think caution is warranted.

OP
B

bobbity

Considering that the mitochondria used to be a bacteria that developed from two prokaryotic cells into a eukaryotic cell, and that tetracycline a class antibiotics suppress bacterial multiplication, and bacteria are prokaryotic cells, one cannot discount the negative effect of using doxycycline on the mitochondria. So I think caution is warranted.
Thank you for this reply!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals