Doxycycline For Some Weird Rosacea Thing?

thegiantess

So, yesterday after a hot shower my face broke out in this patchy red rash. Mostly on chin/upper lip area. A quick Google search suggests Rosacea. This has never happened before, but I know that hot water shouldn't have that affect on my skin and that there is likely something else going on. I'm guessing some kind of gut inflammation... Idk. Anyway, I have an old bottle of Doxy. Wondering if anyone has experience using it to treat gut/skin issues? Or any Rosacea knowledge/thoughts. I read Rays Rosacea article, but it didn't help much.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

I should also mention, I don't really fit the description of a typical Rosacea victim. I'm not particularly fair skinned--more olive, I don't flush easily, and this has never happened before. So if anyone has any other ideas about what could cause a patchy/red rash on my face?

jyb

If you just have a one-off rash and you know it's due to irritation from hot water, I don't see why it would have anything in common with rosacea or gut issues.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Okay, so upon further research I've deduced it's perioral dermatitis. There are suggestions that it could be "hormone" regulated. It could be some gut thing. It could be topical fungus. It could be a lot of things. Any ladies in particular have issues with this and hormones? I don't have any other symptoms and think of myself in good health. I am 6 months post partum so the hormone connection would make sense... But what kind of hormone issue? Anyone?

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Not very lowfat, fat usually around 25% of cals. Weekly vit A might be a bit low to be honest. I only eat liver like 2 times a month. Although cronometer suggests that I always hit the target. I don't supp B6, why do you ask?

Topical niacinamide. Interesting. Do you just open the capsule and dissolve in olive oil or the like?

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

If you just have a one-off rash and you know it's due to irritation from hot water, I don't see why it would have anything in common with rosacea or gut issues.
Hmm. I don't know about that line of thinking. It wasn't super hot water, and my skin has never reacted like such before. If it was just a quick rash that went away shortly after the shower, I would agree and brush it off, but it's still here more than 24 hours later. It's sort of scaly and itchy. My understanding is that the potential for skin to react to seemingly benign stimulants like sunlight or hot water indicate an underlying issue. So while I don't think it's Rosacea like I was initially thinking, it does fit the bill for dermatitis. Itis of any variety is no Bueno and must mean something else is afoot. But ultimately I think it's caused by being in the post partum period. Pregnancy is like a hormone roller coaster and the post partum period is the end of the ride where you feel both exhilarated, but also like you're going to barf.