Mauritio

Doxycycline is beeing increasingly studied for its anti-inflammatory effects at sub-antimicrobial doses.

This study shows how and that it might be helpful in avoiding liver scarring/fibrosis.
It shows that MMP-8, which is released in response to LPS, activates the hepatic stellate cells ,which are implicated in liver disease, especially liver fibrosis.
Now another study shows that doxycycline is powerfully lowering MMP-8 at a dosage of 40mg/d in humans.

This might be especially useful for new peaters dealing with gut / liver problems, accompanied by a high endotoxin state.
This also gives more basis to peats recommendations of 2-3 timer per week of low dose antibiotics as an anti-endotoxin / anti-inflammatory agent.

In the range of 20-40mg doxycycline has been shown to not cause antibiotic resistance.

"We have identified that MMP-8 secreted from macrophages as a response to LPS stimulation activates HSCs via ERK1/2-dependent pathway. "

"Macrophage-released MMP-8 plays a master role in activating the dormant HSCs to activate myofibroblasts through the Erk-mediated pathway and Jun cellular translocation leading to liver fibrosis."

"Initial MMP-8 levels for the SRP + SDD group and the SRP + placebo group were 407.13 ± 114.45 ng/ml..."

"...and 63.77 ± 53.33 ng/ml and 229.13 ± 168.09 ng/ml at 120 d, respectively. "

Thanks, Mauritio. Helpful post.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Doxycycline also inhibits the other MMPs, so might be helpful for covid.
As has been shown here : (Coronavirus spike protein creates inflammation via CD147, antibiotics treat)

"We further studied MMP-1 enzymatic activity and multiple endothelial cell (EC) activation markers (soluble forms of CD146, intercellular adhesion molecule 1 [ICAM-1], and vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 [VCAM-1]) and found that they were highly dysregulated in COVID-19 patients."

"In conclusion, serum MMP3 may help to early predict the severity of COVID-19 and both proteins, MMP3 and MMP9, may contribute to define severe COVID-19 patients that may benefit from a targeted therapy on MMPs."

"Notably, MMP-2 and MMP-9 levels predicted the risk of in-hospital death suggesting possible pathophysiologic and prognostic roles."

Thanks, Mauritio. Helpful post.
You're welcome :)

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

moa

doxycycline is very strong stuff. I've just finished a week ago a 4 day doxycycline 100 per day.

first 2 days i took it with furazolidone. on the second day i mixed both with olive oil and apple cider vinegar in carrot salad and let it absorb into carrots. i already did this in the past with furazolidone, but never with doxycycline. it turns out was a bad idea, since it irritated much my esophagus that day. then the next two days i took it mixed in water, so less contact with esophagus but still some. 4th day i got a watery diarrhea and i stopped taking it.

i have chronic nasal obstruction in one if the two nostrils because of swollen mucosa and deviated septum. while taking it i had very open nostrils, but when i stopped, 2 days after, i experienced a very strong nasal congestion, very painful for the nasal mucosa. it lasted for 2-3 days.

but after this, it cleared my sinus infection that i have had for months.

yes, it didn't cleared it while on doxycycline, but after i stopped during the nasal congestion and runny nose episode.

this is huge, as I've tried many things to clear it. in the past with more recent antibiotics that only worked for a few days or weeks, so i was disappointed with antibiotics, and i thought antibiotics are not able to cure my sinusitis or open my nostrils.

i don't think it's only the antibiotic effect, something else triggered my body to this flu like state that was therapeutical, after i stopped taking the antibiotic.

also i have had constipation, followed by another lose stools, depending on what i eat (bananas caused a bad constipation, but going back to fruits and vegetables caused loose stools). i think I'll eat cooked carrots and a little rice now.

i use l rhamnosus gg as traitement and coagulans. hope will go away soon. if not, I'll have to try with Boulardii.

but since i try to lower fungus and restore good bacteria, I'm not sure it's as good idea to take Boulardii.

Last edited:

moa

at first, the esophagus irritation has improved, but when i started taking lots of probiotics, like lactobacillus rhamnosus gg, i think i still have some especially in the morning.

I'm a bit worried, hope doxycycline didn't caused damage. I've already had acid reflux in the past.