Doug McGuff On Resistance Exercise (Nov 2019)

Any idea why i am NOT losing any muscle mass despite not being to the gym or done any form of exercises in the past 3 years?

I think maintaining muscle even without exercise is a good sign of your health in some ways. People who are losing mass too quickly while taking time off sounds like a catabolizing issue. Nobody should have to lift constantly to maintain muscle when the body should be sparing muscle ideally -- not wasting it away consistently like it is stressed or malnourished or something.

In fact you should be able to gain a bit of muscle (not look like a stick or "skinny fat") even through anabolism without working out much at all if you get your hormones and metabolism right, to which adding some exercise would only enhance results further most likely.

In other words the stereotypical "skinny wimp" archetype of a non-lifter probably points to health issues more than a realistic example of an ideally healthy person who just doesn't do much resistance training or particular workouts but still doesn't look "sickly" or etc. like what some might think (or in other words the archetype suggests people who don't work out a certain way or keep working out must be sickly and weak when that isn't exactly how it works).

Last edited:

success23

I think maintaining muscle even without exercise is a good sign of your health in some ways. People who are losing mass too quickly while taking time off sounds like a catabolizing issue. Nobody should have to lift constantly to maintain muscle when the body should be sparing muscle ideally -- not wasting it away consistently like it is stressed or malnourished or something.

In fact you should be able to gain a bit of muscle (not look like a stick or "skinny fat") even through anabolism without working out much at all if you get your hormones and metabolism right, to which adding some exercise would only enhance results further most likely.

In other words the stereotypical "skinny wimp" archetype of a non-lifter probably points to health issues more than a realistic example of an ideally healthy person who just doesn't do much resistance training or particular workouts but still doesn't look "sickly" or etc. like what some might think (or in other words the archetype suggests people who don't work out a certain way or keep working out must be sickly and weak when that isn't exactly how it works).

The bad thing is fat also doesn't want to go away :D and i m barely eating at maintenance..

tara

Any idea why i am NOT losing any muscle mass despite not being to the gym or done any form of exercises in the past 3 years?
Eating enough to (re)build muscle and activities of life providing some stimulus without dedicated 'exercise'?

tara

Lifting anything with a bit of weight in it even once or twice a week as a part of household chores etc might be enough to make a difference.

accelerator

Excess glucose that is not stored as glycogen will be oxidized rapidly and a very small amount, less than 5% (more like 1% or less), will be converted to fats.

Can you elaborate on that? If it's EXCESS, wouldn't the excess always be stored as fat? Do you just mean in a normal sized meal that 5% is stored? Because it seems if someone overeats when glycogen is already full and there's no need for extra energy most of it would go to fat stores.

Vinny

I,d appreciate if someone native will simplify the following quote from dr McGuff, from one of his talks about resistance training. It,s a bit above my English:

"What we found is that if you initiate the start of a set of weightlifting with as gradual of an upload of force as possible, and then you just try to lift ... lower with high effort, during that initial phase, depriving yourself of initiating any momentum really allows the speed to express itself organically."

Thanks

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can you elaborate on that? If it's EXCESS, wouldn't the excess always be stored as fat? Do you just mean in a normal sized meal that 5% is stored? Because it seems if someone overeats when glycogen is already full and there's no need for extra energy most of it would go to fat stores.
Massive overfeeding studies have been done and really an insignificant amount of carbs are converted to fats. I wrote an article on it, here is the link if you want to check it out: Why sugar doesn't make you fat – the ultimate guide on lipogenesis

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals