Doug McGuff On Resistance Exercise (Nov 2019)

ALS

Any thoughts? He states that the body can store up to around 320 gr. of glycogen in the liver and muscle (@43:20) - so if you take in more nutrients that can be stored as glycogen (tell me if I'm reading this wrong) those get converted to triglycerides, which then go into fat storage.

If you have low amounts of muscle tissue due to lack of physical activity, as well as excess fat, I'm guessing it may be better to engage in resistance training, and use a low carb diet at the outset, and then ratchet up the carb intake as muscle is being added.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Any thoughts? He states that the body can store up to around 320 gr. of glycogen in the liver and muscle (@43:20) - so if you take in more nutrients that can be stored as glycogen (tell me if I'm reading this wrong) those get converted to triglycerides, which then go into fat storage.

If you have low amounts of muscle tissue due to lack of physical activity, as well as excess fat, I'm guessing it may be better to engage in resistance training, and use a low carb diet at the outset, and then ratchet up the carb intake as muscle is being added.

The healthy liver can store about 100g of glycogen, sometimes up to 200g, but an unhealthy liver might stores less. Untrained muscle can store about 200-300g of glycogen whereas training big muscles can store up to 700g of glycogen (huge bodybuilders). There is also the supercompensation effect where the muscles can store even more.

Excess glucose that is not stored as glycogen will be oxidized rapidly and a very small amount, less than 5% (more like 1% or less), will be converted to fats. Iron promotes the production of fats, triglycerides and cholesterol, and copper reduces it. In a state of iron overload, either due to too high intake or low copper, someone has a very high chance of getting hypertriglyceridemia and hypercholesterolemia even from a little to moderate intake of carbs.
If your micros are in place and stress hormones low, carbs shouldn't be a problem and carbs should aid in reducing stress hormones.

Vinny

The healthy liver can store about 100g of glycogen, sometimes up to 200g, but an unhealthy liver might stores less. Untrained muscle can store about 200-300g of glycogen whereas training big muscles can store up to 700g of glycogen (huge bodybuilders). There is also the supercompensation effect where the muscles can store even more.

Excess glucose that is not stored as glycogen will be oxidized rapidly and a very small amount, less than 5% (more like 1% or less), will be converted to fats. Iron promotes the production of fats, triglycerides and cholesterol, and copper reduces it. In a state of iron overload, either due to too high intake or low copper, someone has a very high chance of getting hypertriglyceridemia and hypercholesterolemia even from a little to moderate intake of carbs.
If your micros are in place and stress hormones low, carbs shouldn't be a problem and carbs should aid in reducing stress hormones.
Another great info from you, Hans! Thanks!

B

Braveheart

His protocol has done wonders for me...and I'm 74.

ExCarniv

so if you take in more nutrients that can be stored as glycogen (tell me if I'm reading this wrong) those get converted to triglycerides, which then go into fat storage.

Not true, I'm eating more than 500g of carbs per day and not gaining any weight.

OP
ALS

ALS

I was asking because I had increased carbs in my diet from about nothing (low carbing) to about 400 calories a day via a drink that contained sucrose (this brand Simply Fruit Punch All Natural Juice Drink - 52 fl oz) Drank half a bottle a day, which is about 100 gr of additional carbs - and rapidly gained weight.

I felt better and my energy went up, but I gained about 20 lbs. due (I think, since a lot of it went to my back) insulin resistance.

I've not lost any of it so far, and this happened about a year and a half ago.

I did have non alcoholic fatty liver and Hashimoto's disease.

However my Dr. said the liver panel (blood work) is MUCH better since then - after I changed my diet to many of Peat's recommendations.

I am assuming I will have to lower carbs to get the weight off. I am at a loss at this point.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was asking because I had increased carbs in my diet from about nothing (low carbing) to about 400 calories a day via a drink that contained sucrose (this brand Simply Fruit Punch All Natural Juice Drink - 52 fl oz) Drank half a bottle a day, which is about 100 gr of additional carbs - and rapidly gained weight.

I felt better and my energy went up, but I gained about 20 lbs. due (I think, since a lot of it went to my back) insulin resistance.

I've not lost any of it so far, and this happened about a year and a half ago.

I did have non alcoholic fatty liver and Hashimoto's disease.

However my Dr. said the liver panel (blood work) is MUCH better since then - after I changed my diet to many of Peat's recommendations.

I am assuming I will have to lower carbs to get the weight off. I am at a loss at this point.
Have you checked you copper and iron? Iron is positively associated with fatty liver, triglycerides and cholesterol whereas copper is the opposite.
Also, putting on weight from carbs, even as little as 100g, is due to massive insulin resistance and cortisol. Perhaps a boatload of intramuscular fat which is preventing glycogen storage.
Exercising will help lower the intramuscular fat and promote proper glycogen storage.
As a side note, B vitamins are very important for proper glucose oxidation with special emphasis on B1.

ExCarniv

As a side note, B vitamins are very important for proper glucose oxidation with special emphasis on B1.

This is true in my case, I'm taking B Complex and eating way above my suppose calorie maintenance and didn't gain any weight. Seems like Bs helps to accelerate my metabolism and burn carbs efficiently.

Hans

Forum Supporter
This is true in my case, I'm taking B Complex and eating way above my suppose calorie maintenance and didn't gain any weight. Seems like Bs helps to accelerate my metabolism and burn carbs efficiently.
Sweet.

OP
ALS

ALS

Have you checked you copper and iron? Iron is positively associated with fatty liver, triglycerides and cholesterol whereas copper is the opposite.
Also, putting on weight from carbs, even as little as 100g, is due to massive insulin resistance and cortisol. Perhaps a boatload of intramuscular fat which is preventing glycogen storage.
Exercising will help lower the intramuscular fat and promote proper glycogen storage.

My iron is generally low. I know this from donating plasma twice a week. I get the iron checked and usually have to eat some red meat (about 4 oz.) the day before, along with taking vitamin C in order to be eligible to donate.

I've been taking a B vitamin (Doctor's best multi B) along with Benfotiamine (B1) . I'm trying to get back into HIIT but have a sciatica issue at the moment.

I don't think much else works outside of HIIT. Lifting weights is ok, however I don't lose weight doing that.

My weight is / has been problematic since I was about 9. It comes off very slowly and comes right back on unless I REALLY push the HIIT / cardio.

I'm on progesterone cream and DHEA as well for the cortisol and or estrogen.

It's very much a struggle.

brainfog

In one lecture that he held a few years ago he said his pulse was like 40-45. So training like that might not be ideal (10s push 10s pull to failure etc). So you induce alot of lactic acid.

ExCarniv

It comes off very slowly and comes right back on unless I REALLY push the HIIT / cardio.

Skipping rope is really good for burn calories and have low impact for an overweight person, better than do strenuous burpees and CrossFit like HIIT and way more fun if you do it outside.

tara

Not true, I'm eating more than 500g of carbs per day and not gaining any weight.
Are you eating them all at one point in the day? If you spread it through the day, presumably you burn through some of the glycogen stores between feedings.

Atman

My car's gasoline tank holds 40 liters, yet I am able to fill it with 100 liters in 1 day without it overflowing, if I make hundreds of miles with it.
It's magic!

Jokes aside.
McGuff is on point with his body by science book.
If you only care about building or maintaining a solid muscular frame, 15 minutes of high intensity training is all you need in a week.

Atman

Tried it for building muscle and didn't worked, could work for maintaining what you already have tho.
To be fair, I have only tried it for the later.

It is important though that you really go to the absolute limit at every set. In that regard it is much harder than regular "bodybuilding" exercises. You have to override your bodily instincts and keep pushing. The seconds after it starts to hurt and you start to panic are the most important.
Most men will not be able to do that the first couple of times. It's hard to explain, but you can see what I mean when you watch one of his workouts (ignore his horrible breathing):

Hans

Forum Supporter
My iron is generally low. I know this from donating plasma twice a week. I get the iron checked and usually have to eat some red meat (about 4 oz.) the day before, along with taking vitamin C in order to be eligible to donate.

I've been taking a B vitamin (Doctor's best multi B) along with Benfotiamine (B1) . I'm trying to get back into HIIT but have a sciatica issue at the moment.

I don't think much else works outside of HIIT. Lifting weights is ok, however I don't lose weight doing that.

My weight is / has been problematic since I was about 9. It comes off very slowly and comes right back on unless I REALLY push the HIIT / cardio.

I'm on progesterone cream and DHEA as well for the cortisol and or estrogen.

It's very much a struggle.
Have you actually gotten an iron panel? Doctors usually check ferritin alone and think you're ok, but you might be having too much saturation and so on. Have you checked copper?

Do you get out in the sun and some enjoyable activity? Getting outside and doing the fun activity you enjoy will be much better for health and fat loss than slaving at an activity you don't enjoy. For instance, I love swimming in the sea. That is considered cardio exercises and my body will upregulate lipolysis and fatty acid oxidizing enzymes in my muscles, and I will be healthier because of it. Because I'm enjoying the activity, my cortisol is kept low, and I will reap only benefits.

ExCarniv

Because I'm enjoying the activity, my cortisol is kept low, and I will reap only benefits.

This is true, my cardio activities are all things that I enjoy, play football, skipping rope, biking, no point of dreading yourself in a treadmill if you doesn't enjoy.

success23

Any idea why i am NOT losing any muscle mass despite not being to the gym or done any form of exercises in the past 3 years?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals