Dopamine Raising (list)

Light

Vitamin C raising dopamine? I think only a small number on that list can raise it meaningfully and reliably. I don't believe many on that anti-dopamine list are meaningfully negative either. This comment is based on my own multiple years long experiments with dopamine and mood.
What DOES work, in your experience?
Especially if you had good results with inexpensive things, i'm all spent out on supplements this month...

Pro:
obviously anything sweet and greasy, or salty. Wondering why the junk food industry works so well? People get massive dopamine shots from eating out.

IME:

Good:
Top notch highest quality dairy in limited doses
Top notch highest quality Dark Chocolate in limited doses
Whole Fruit, snacked (reasonably high sugar:starch ratio)
Protein
Sport
DHT (LOW doses)

Bad:
Whatever that leaves liver glycogen low
Whatever that leaves brain glycogen low
High fatty acids
High starch:sugar ratio
Mineral imbalances (use cronometer)

Ugly:
Low calories
Couch-potato’ing
Slow metabolism
Neurotic supplementing

somuch4food

Other than food and supplements: sunlight, fresh air, light exercise, mindfulness.

Being a type A personality, I seem to often forget to simply enjoy life, enjoy the moment.

Do something that will bring you pleasure and enjoy the moment.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Pro:
obviously anything sweet and greasy, or salty. Wondering why the junk food industry works so well? People get massive dopamine shots from eating out.

IME:

Good:
Top notch highest quality Dark Chocolate in limited doses
Whole Fruit, snacked (reasonably high sugar:starch ratio)
Protein
Sport
DHT (LOW doses)

Bad:
Whatever that leaves liver glycogen low
Whatever that leaves brain glycogen low
High fatty acids
High starch:sugar ratio
Mineral imbalances (use cronometer)

Ugly:
Low calories
Couch-potato’ing
Slow metabolism
Neurotic supplementing
I don't quite understand this. A high Dopamine state to me means very proactive, getting things done, focus, energy etc. If I eat something high in salt, sugar, fat, the only thing I'm doing is being horizontal and not moving much. Something doesn't add up imo

that's because you get hit by a low dopamine state right after the high, experienced from junk food causing the massive dopamine release.

smith

that's because you get hit by a low dopamine state right after the high, experienced from junk food causing the massive dopamine release.
Hmmm, but I've experienced the same exact thing only moments after eating what this forum considers healthy food. What causes his feelings is in my opinion the high from the foods itself, not some cocaine-like come-down from what you erroneously presumed was junk food and that he must have been eating that instead of an innumerable amount of things which are healthy and also contain the same salt/sugar/fat.
Is everything that contains salt, sugar and fat inherently "junk food"? Of course not, this is just more mainstream presumption which this forum is usually a retreat from. Also, what exactly defines junk food?

I don't quite understand this. A high Dopamine state to me means very proactive, getting things done, focus, energy etc. If I eat something high in salt, sugar, fat, the only thing I'm doing is being horizontal and not moving much. Something doesn't add up imo
What doesn't add up is the idea that high-dopamine means being proactive and go-getting. If this were the case, society and what it considers 'progress' itself wouldn't be based on high-serotonin psychopathy.
If you feel horizontal after eating salt, sugar, and fat(I'm assuming SFA), it's probably because that's exactly what they cause. What do most people do after a dopamine-releasing orgasm or a satisfying meal? Do they suddenly go out and get things done? Thanks for the list by the way.

Last edited:
OP
ddjd

ddjd

What doesn't add up is the idea that high-dopamine means being proactive and go-getting. If this were the case, society and what it considers 'progress' itself wouldn't be based on high-serotonin psychopathy.
If you feel horizontal after eating salt, sugar, and fat(I'm assuming SFA), it's probably because that's exactly what they cause. What do most people do after a dopamine-releasing orgasm or a satisfying meal? Do they suddenly go out and get things done? Thanks for the list by the way.
What Does Dopamine Do? 26 Surprising Dopamine Effects (18 are good, 8 are bad) - Selfhacked

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Is your entire opinion and argument an article from SelfHacked?
each paragraph has at least one pubmed study backing up the statement. seems more reliable than your wonderful insight

smith

each paragraph has at least one pubmed study backing up the statement. seems more reliable than your wonderful insight
Definitely can't rely on or consider anything unless it has pubmed studies backing it up. (sarcasm)

eating what this forum considers healthy food. What causes his feelings is in my opinion the high from the foods itself

Nah, it’s the mix of those foods that is leading to an exaggerated response.

I don’t recommend eating some of the “healthy” foods consumed around here. High added sugars, high saturated fat, high sodium to potassium ratio are all recipes for failure, industrial or not.

Washing a cup of “clean” ice cream with a quart of orange juice or Mexican Coke is junk behavior . It’s people who won’t truly move away from a MacD’s sundae and pop. Eating whole foods isn’t that hard.

somuch4food

It might not be high dopamine alone that brings the proactive mindset.

There is a bunch of stuff going on in the body. One hormone is not responsible for everything.

Light

Why limited? What's the downside?

Neurotic supplementing
:): Yeah, finding myself being drawn to that...

Do something that will bring you pleasure and enjoy the moment.
This made me sad.
It's such a good and simple idea, and it made me think "what do I enjoy?" and it's really slim pickings...
Adding Anhedonia to symptoms list...

mucuna pruriens powder
Had to google it, are you speaking from experience?
How much are you taking? Do you need to keep upping the dose?
And most imporantly - how does it feel?

Eating whole foods isn’t that hard
Don't eat meat/seafood, and dairy has brought my bowels to a complete halt, so it is a little hard...

somuch4food

This made me sad.
It's such a good and simple idea, and it made me think "what do I enjoy?" and it's really slim pickings...
Adding Anhedonia to symptoms list...

You might not quite be in a state where you can enjoy yourself yet. Before Peating, I could not enjoy my hobbies anymore. I was mostly going through the motions of life. I can feel this has started to change, but I cannot pinpoint one exact thing that has brought this change of mindset.

Don't eat meat/seafood, and dairy has brought my bowels to a complete halt, so it is a little hard...

High dairy consumption is not a solution at the beginning. The calcium and sat fat can be constipating. The proteins/carbs can be difficult to digest. The calcium from milk can further increase mineral imbalances.

Hans

Forum Supporter
One important factor about boosting dopamine is the BH4 cycle. The BH4 cycle is down regulated by excess ROS, oxidized cholesterol, etc. Lowering those with NAC, niacinamide, glycine, vit C, methylfolate will boost the BH4 cycle and dopamine levels.

One of my clients took methylfolate and his mood improved significantly.
Taking a dopamine precursor like mucuna pruriens, phenylalanine, tyrosine, etc., will do nothing if BH4 is downregulated.

Mossy

mucuna pruriens powder
I’m undecided on MP myself. I can feel the dopamine effect from them, but sometimes I can get delayed strange effects from them—that leave me feeling like something is off and imbalanced. And, they can make my liver hurt; though, Inread that your liver can’t hurt, technicality. So, maybe something close by it.

Have you experienced nothing but good from them?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom